Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Help after dropping my bike.  (Read 6912 times)

REDMAN

• Full CVO Member
  • OH chit

• CVO1: FLHXSE
Help after dropping my bike.
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »

I dropped my bike in the garage after cleaning it. The air dryer hose got caught on the kickstand and I moved it forward to put it on the jack stand and then I set it down and the kickstand wasn't set and down she went. Anyway, I have some scratches on the faring. They are surface scratches caused by the faring hitting a metal shoe rack. They are not deep at all, when I rubbed my finger over them there is no indentation at all. My question is what is the best wax or product to try and fix these scratches ? Any advice or procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Help after dropping my bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »

I dropped my bike in the garage after cleaning it. The air dryer hose got caught on the kickstand and I moved it forward to put it on the jack stand and then I set it down and the kickstand wasn't set and down she went. Anyway, I have some scratches on the faring. They are surface scratches caused by the faring hitting a metal shoe rack. They are not deep at all, when I rubbed my finger over them there is no indentation at all. My question is what is the best wax or product to try and fix these scratches ? Any advice or procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If they are as minor as you describe, a reputable paint or body shop can easily remove the scratches. 

I'd be hesitant to suggest you do so yourself, however, if you chose to try, I'd use Glare Micro Finish scratch remover.   http://www.glare.com/product_detail?pid=ODc%3D&pn=GLARE-Micro-Finish-(12-oz.-bottle)

You'll need a quality micro fiber towel, or even better, a good orbital polisher and pad..   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porter-Cable-7424-Dual-Action-Orbital-Polisher-/141148698825?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item20dd1e38c9
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:11:55 AM »

After my baby landed against the wall of my garage, doing the same thing you were doing.  I just got most of the scratches out of my fairing with polishing compound.  I am happy with the results.  Later when its not so cold i will hit the deep places with some touch up and polish it out to a smooth finish.  You can do it, just take your timeand keep checking it doing a little at a time.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »

Drop it into a body shop and let the guys who do it on a daily basis sort it out for you!
Seen too many guys make it worse by trying to sort it out themselves!!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »

Drop it into a body shop and let the guys who do it on a daily basis sort it out for you!
Seen too many guys make it worse by trying to sort it out themselves!!
This.  I've seen way too many bikes butchered by someone who's not used to using polishing compound and/or an orbital buffer.
The best you've had is the best you know.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

Body shop..
Bill

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »

You may even get lucky like me, and your local dealer has someone on staff experienced in minor paint repairs.   :nixweiss:

Worth checking into.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:41:33 AM »

Tried it one time on my black HD F150 hood. Used a name brand scratch remover. 2 weeks later, took it to the shop to have hood painted. While the directions seemed to make it simple, takes more skill than I had.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »

I put a good scratch in my switch housing cover while removing it this last summer.   Since it was already off the bike, I took it over to a guy I know that does auto detailing.

20 minutes later you couldn't see the scratch.   I know I would have made it worse trying to fix it. 

He didn't even want to take any money, but I stuffed it in his pocket anyway.   I would have spent more buying the cleaners, polish and orbital sander attachments.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »

If you cannot feel the scratch say rubbing your fingernail across it, then it is probably easily fixed with a basic polish by hand.  Use the least abrasive polish first, and if needed, move on to a more abrasive polish or compound.  If that doesn't work move to an orbital polisher and combination of polish or compound. If you don't own one, maybe a friend or neighbor will let you use one.  If all else fails, body shop will still be there.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

REDMAN

• Full CVO Member
  • OH chit

• CVO1: FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the great advice. The scratches are on the top of the fairing in a highly visible area. I'm going to have a local detail shop take care of the fix. Thanks again for your help.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the great advice. The scratches are on the top of the fairing in a highly visible area. I'm going to have a local detail shop take care of the fix. Thanks again for your help.

Good call, should be an easy fix for a detailer.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:29:08 AM »

Good call, you will be happier in the long run.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »

Let me be the third to also say....good call to let the pro's do that. 

I'm with 2K on this one....when I tried to repair a small area on my Cooper a few years ago, ended up taking it to the local pros anyway.  I'm picky and they did a top notch job on the MINI to where I couldn't tell anything was wrong. 
There are some great products out there and with practice will give you good results.  My problem is I, like some of the rest of us,  don't practice this type of thing enough to get that good at it.... ;D

mark

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »

You could fix it yourself, but by the time you buy a small random orbital polisher, pads, and a bottle of polish, you'll spend more than a body shop will charge.  On the other hand, this is a good excuse to buy a polisher.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.