Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Service manuals  (Read 3965 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
Service manuals
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:31:10 AM »

Where is the best place to buy service manuals? From the HD dealer or is there another source for a great manual?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Service manuals
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »

Order them from one of the discount Harley dealers.  If you're thinking about one of the manuals from companies other than Harley, IMHO that is only a good idea if you just can't get the official Harley manual, say for an older model.  While there are companies out there that sell manuals for all sorts of vehicles, they rarely are as good or as complete as the manuals from the vehicle manufacturers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »

Got mine off ebay for half the price including shipping. New, still in the wrapper.
Jesus is Lord

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »

Thanks for the info guys! Off to Ebay I go!!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »

What should I expect to pay for a 2013 CVO ultra manual?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »

I bought one on ebay in disk form for under $15 for all 3 (touring, electrical supp, and cvo supp)  I then transferred it to my Ipad to take to the garage.  A lot cheaper and it was the same as the hard copy. 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »

I bought one on ebay in disk form for under $15 for all 3 (touring, electrical supp, and cvo supp)  I then transferred it to my Ipad to take to the garage.  A lot cheaper and it was the same as the hard copy. 
Any disk form manual isn't OEM H-D and likely bootleg. Meaning H-D doesn't sell them to the public....i'm sure their techs have PDF's available but those are not legally for sale as far as i've heard.
Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

What should I expect to pay for a 2013 CVO ultra manual?

Last time I looked the MSRP from Harley was $60 for the Touring shop manual, $40 for the CVO supplement (covers all the extra CVO stuff), and around $48 for the CVO parts manual.  You really don't need the parts manual these days since there are several sites online that let you look up all the parts by year and model.  You can find discounts from those prices at a lot of Harley online stores, or on ebay as previously noted.  Be careful on ebay or other sites where people offer pdf versions of the manuals.  They are not legitimate legal products authorized by Harley, but rather scanned copies of manuals.  Some are very poor quality, some are pretty decent quality, but none are legal.  Kind of like buying a bootleg copy of a movie out of a guy's trunk in the Walmart parking lot, if you know what I mean.  Some folks think it's OK to deal with crooks, but some like me do not.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »

Last time I looked the MSRP from Harley was $60 for the Touring shop manual, $40 for the CVO supplement (covers all the extra CVO stuff), and around $48 for the CVO parts manual.  You really don't need the parts manual these days since there are several sites online that let you look up all the parts by year and model.  You can find discounts from those prices at a lot of Harley online stores, or on ebay as previously noted.  Be careful on ebay or other sites where people offer pdf versions of the manuals.  They are not legitimate legal products authorized by Harley, but rather scanned copies of manuals.  Some are very poor quality, some are pretty decent quality, but none are legal.  Kind of like buying a bootleg copy of a movie out of a guy's trunk in the Walmart parking lot, if you know what I mean.  Some folks think it's OK to deal with crooks, but some like me do not.

Jerry
Agree that you probably do not require the parts manual to find a part number you need.  But I really like having it because the diagrams of the various parts and how they fit is quite helpful.  I find that the service manuals are sometimes lacking in visuals.  I must be a 'visual learner' since I find the text instructions are sometimes confusing and unclear until I can see what they are referring to.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »

Last time I looked the MSRP from Harley was $60 for the Touring shop manual, $40 for the CVO supplement (covers all the extra CVO stuff), and around $48 for the CVO parts manual.  You really don't need the parts manual these days since there are several sites online that let you look up all the parts by year and model.  You can find discounts from those prices at a lot of Harley online stores, or on ebay as previously noted.  Be careful on ebay or other sites where people offer pdf versions of the manuals.  They are not legitimate legal products authorized by Harley, but rather scanned copies of manuals.  Some are very poor quality, some are pretty decent quality, but none are legal.  Kind of like buying a bootleg copy of a movie out of a guy's trunk in the Walmart parking lot, if you know what I mean.  Some folks think it's OK to deal with crooks, but some like me do not.

Jerry
What about this one is it legal or not ?
  http://www.motorcycle-manual-download.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&products_id=171

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »

What about this one is it legal or not ?
  http://www.motorcycle-manual-download.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&products_id=171
From their "Contact Us" page...

Motorcycle Download Manual
 9/22 Moo 3,
 Chalong, Phuket
 83130 Thailand

Enough said...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »

IMHO one of the things Harley does VERY well is the service and parts manuals - well worth the cost.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »

Agree that you probably do not require the parts manual to find a part number you need.  But I really like having it because the diagrams of the various parts and how they fit is quite helpful.  I find that the service manuals are sometimes lacking in visuals.  I must be a 'visual learner' since I find the text instructions are sometimes confusing and unclear until I can see what they are referring to.

x100  Buy the parts manual also and you don't have to rely on anyone to look up a part for you.  Plus, like Jerry said, the breakdown of an assembly is in much more detail than the service manual.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »

I like the old fashioned paper manuals as much as anyone, but the online parts catalogs I mentioned previously also have the same kind of drawings that are in the paper manuals.  Try this site for instance, pick a model year, then a bike family, then a model, then a specific part category.  You will get a drawing of the various parts and a list of part numbers and prices.
http://www.granitestateharleystore.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

http://www.granitestateharleystore.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson%c2%ae/FLHTKSE_TEN_CUSTOM_VEHICLE_OPS_LIMITED_(2014)/COOLING_SYSTEM%2c_ENGINE%2c_TWIN-COOLED%22/99428-14%5cTEN/99428-14%5cTWIN%7c%7eCOOLING%7c%7eENGINE%5cTEN

What would be really nice is if Harley would join the current century with regard to manuals and make them available to consumers on disk, fully indexed and searchable, like some auto companies do.  Then you look for what you want, print just that page or set of pages, and carry only that out to the garage rather than a big paper manual.  I'm not holding my breath though.  It took them nearly a century to finally make it into the 20th century; so expecting them to make the leap to the 21st century in only a little over a decade is probably asking way too much.  ;)

Jerry

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:04 PM »

What would be really nice is if Harley would join the current century with regard to manuals and make them available to consumers on disk, fully indexed and searchable, like some auto companies do.  Then you look for what you want, print just that page or set of pages, and carry only that out to the garage rather than a big paper manual.  I'm not holding my breath though.  It took them nearly a century to finally make it into the 20th century; so expecting them to make the leap to the 21st century in only a little over a decade is probably asking way too much.  ;)

Jerry

This is what I do.  I purchased the full set of the 5 manuals for my bike from my local dealer.  I then found an archival, off-site copy of the official HD Digital Technician service manual in PDF.  I created a notebook and print out pages I need to work on my bike and place them in plastic sleeves in the notebook.  That way I keep my full service manual somewhat clean and have the information I use all the time at hand when working on the bike.  This way it is always easy to find the information I use most.

I will also download the PDF files to my iPad so if I am ever on the road I will have the service and electrical manual with me is something goes wrong (I know that rarely happens with HD products).  I wish I could find the parts manual in PDF and as a bonus would like the CVO specific manuals too.

While I could just photocopy the pages I need (this is fair use) it is just so much to print them out.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 24 queries.