Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: To those of you who have done it already  (Read 11191 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
To those of you who have done it already
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »

I'm planning on a little work on my 110. Looking at a new cam (won't tell you which one so this doesn't become a this ones better than that one). You know what I'm saying....

The question is:

- If you're going to put in a new cam anyway what are your thoughts of going ahead and pulling the heads for a little more compression and/or going ahead and getting some head work done?

I know about cost. It's more sort of question about whether or not I'd just keep wanting more if I only step in knee deep.

My finger is on the trigger but...........

PS: A BIG THANK YOU to the builders and tuners I've talked to from this site to help me understand all the things I don't really know about! You folks were incredibly helpful. :2vrolijk_21:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: To those of you who have done it already
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »

The other side of the coin is.  Where do you want to go?  Making it a 113 will get you up to 130-130.  With the bolt in on the market.  The 110 will see around 118tq -108hp.  Compression will make that easier to get to and yield a little more.  If you are taking the heads off for any reason.  I would get them worked.  So you don't have the regret later.  120-120 would be a modest goal with head work and cams.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »

If you do a search I laid out the dyno sheets from avg builds in steps. As already stated cam ex tune you are looking at 108/115 range ( 3-/+) bump the compression little port work  add throttle body you bump up to the 120/120 area . The 113 kits that we build and we do use our cam is 2.120 intake 58 t/b and those run into the upper 120/low 130 range .
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »

More power is very tantalizing!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

Willy, I can understand a desire to avoid all the comparative bother too often attendant to build threads.  The cams and heads are part of a system though.  So without any clue what cams you're considering there is no way to know whether head work makes much if any difference.  The wrong combination of cam changes and head work might even be counterproductive.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »

Do the head work and match the cams for the power gains.
Jesus is Lord

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »

Willy, I can understand a desire to avoid all the comparative bother too often attendant to build threads.  The cams and heads are part of a system though.  So without any clue what cams you're considering there is no way to know whether head work makes much if any difference.  The wrong combination of cam changes and head work might even be counterproductive.

EXACTLY!!!!! Damnnnnn Twolane you're a lot smarter than you look!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

Not wanting to get you in the middle of the this cam is better than your cam debate. But it important on what you are looking for. Soooooo the cam choice is very important along with compression and head work.

I will tell you where I am going. I am not looking for a power beast BUT I am changing the flywheels with the Timken conversion and going with SE 4.060 pistons. Mild head work with a 58mm TB with 5.3 injectors. In the cam chest a fueling plate, pump and lifters along with Zippers tensioner. And for cams (drum roll please)  Kury TD24 set of cams. I could go with different cams and make a lot more power, but I am looking to be easy on the valve train and be able to just cruise.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »

the cam under consideration, like most will "work" as a bolt in,  but like anything doing more makes them better. Like I mentioned, it comes down to cost versus fun.

Just trying to get a handle on the cost/fun barometer from other riders that have suffered with this same decision.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »

I'm no head porter, and hopefully they speak up.  Cam is going to dictate compression of the build.  Not what seat cut or valve guides they are going to use.  A 40 closing compared to a 46 closing is going to mandate the CC and HG used.  If you are looking at some of the cams mentioned in the other thread.  All are going to benefit from a port job that will increase 10-15 cfm from .100 to .300 lift.

Cylinder fill is cylinder fill, but knowing the cam before it goes to a head porter is a must.  Head work in general can be discussed with out knowing which cam.

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »

A simple valve job has been known to really wake up a 110". Well, maybe not that simple since the seats and valves are cut to multiple angles like 5 or so.
I think Mondello was able to get a 28% increase in flow with just a 5 angle valve job and port clean up on those 110 heads. Taint too shabby for very little $$ spent. Add cams and good exhaust with tune could see easy 20-25% power gains.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »

Starting with a goal in mind, usually produces a better result. What do you want more low end, mid-range, upper rpm, what is your riding style, is it two up most of the time, or never. While bolting in some cams may produce an increase in torque and horsepower, what rpm range will sacrifice ? Low end torque, or none.
Matching the headwork to the cams is good advice, but knowing what exhaust to run is also part of the package. If you put a set of cams in and tune it, or have it tuned, and your not happy, then you will be going after the heads next, then you will have to tune it again. If you are running an auto tune system, not a big deal if you like doing it. If you are paying someone to tune it......well you know the deal.
Good luck on your build!! Should be fun.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »

I know what cam/head/exhaust/tuner I "want" and have talked with builders and tuners already. We really have some great, friendly and knowledgable people on cvoharley! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Everyone has a ton of different opinons on cams, pipes, tuners, etc. I just thought this would be an interesting and different perspective on how everyone decided on their build and how they liked the results.

You know, conversation for a cold winter's day.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »

Ok Willy.  What's your combination looking like?   You should have a good plan I would think.    Stuart.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 07:24:33 PM »

Ok Willy.  What's your combination looking like?   You should have a good plan I would think.    Stuart.
Sent you a PM.

It's Top Secret for now but there is a plan. It just depends if I do it in stages or not. Don't want to sway the thread. ;D

Gotta convince Momma to do it at one time. So far she's in for the whole thing but not all at once. You know, The Money Tree.....

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

I hear ya there  :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.