Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: How much should I trust my dealer when it comes to buying a tuner and exhaust?  (Read 6640 times)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

I called world class tuning and the number is not good any more. Now R&D is that in GA?

Sorry about that. Try 952 955 - 1198, Bob Wright. R&D is in Watertown, Mn.
Check your pm.
John
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:22:25 PM by johnsachs »

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Since you're in Minnesota, why don't you contact Mike Roland (World Class Tuning) or Bob Wright (R&D Performance), they're together on White ST. in Watertown. They can guide you as well as handle anything you need.
John

:2vrolijk_21: 

I'd look at perfect storm kits w/ a powercell 2-1-2.

JarheadOdie

• CVO1: 2014 CVO RoadKing

HD has 2 tuners available, The SE Street Tuner, and The SE Pro Super Tuner.

The SEST is very limited "The Street Tuner permits limited tunability within the emissions range..." and to me there are much better choices out there, including the SEPST. The SEST will not accommodate any further mods, (cams etc...) the SEPST (and others) will.

Harley is getting really picky about mods and has the right to void your warranty for tampering with emissions control devices, that is something that you need to speak about with your Dealer (are they going to stand behind the bike with the mods that they are recommending?) I would pay a little more$ for your Dealer to do the work for this very reason. Also get an "out the door price on the mods that they are recommending, as tuning can add up$$.

I'm not a big fan of the true duals, but there are those that really like them...

You might want to put some miles (at least the 1k checkup) on the bike first, before you commit...   
I completely agree with you, after spending my kids inheritance on the new SERK I was not about to get screwed if some freak thing happens putting my own equipment on. Harley is all about their parts but then again who can blame them if I owned a business I would want you to buy mine also. Not to mention if I scratched the CVO paint I would be pissed.

As far as the exhaust I love my ThunderHeader with a falsee. Not the prettiest pipe in the world but a very recognizable sound. Add that with the Super Tuner got me 92HP and 110TQ if I remember correctly.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

As far as the exhaust I love my ThunderHeader with a falsee. Not the prettiest pipe in the world but a very recognizable sound. Add that with the Super Tuner got me 92HP and 110TQ if I remember correctly.

Out of a 110?

JarheadOdie

• CVO1: 2014 CVO RoadKing

Out of a 110?

Actually went out and looked at my dyno sheet it was 89 HP and 110TQ on a 2014 CVO Roadking 110. Don't believe the specs they tell you the 115TQ is to the crank not the rear wheel.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014

Not much. Went to 2 harley dealers in the Chicago area to have them do Fullsac xpipe and 2 inch cores install on my 2014 cvo RK. One of them never heard of Fullsac and pushed v&h power duals with HO, the other one recommends to just gut the cats and add a slip on of my choice. FYI, my other bike is an anniversary RK classic with dresser duals and monster rounds.
Love it but too loud for long rides without ear plugs. The v&h HO would be worse and I would loose low end torque which is important to me.
I have spent hours doing research and I cannot believe how clueless some of the techs are at the dealers.
If anyone knows a dealer in Chigago who installs Fullsac let me know...
Love this site. Lots of info
JP

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

Forgot to add to prior post. I have the 7 year extended warranty and need dealer to do the work in order not to void it totally.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black

I went with the V&H power duals but kept the stock mufflers. It sounds very good in my opinion. I had a set of V&H pipes purchased but decided to give the stock pipes a chance after reading on here that they sounded good. Glad I did and it saved me some money I spent on a new helmet instead. (Returned the pipes)

Did the sound of the pipes change much just changing the header pipe?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Forgot to add to prior post. I have the 7 year extended warranty and need dealer to do the work in order not to void it totally.

Are you basing that on a written agreement between you and the dealer principal, or just assuming they "will look out for you" if you spend all your money with them?  If you're counting on the latter, or some verbal promise from the guy in service, don't be surprised if you have a failure a few years from now and the ESP folks deny the claim and the dealership tells you there is nothing they can do about it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.

Are you basing that on a written agreement between you and the dealer principal, or just assuming they "will look out for you" if you spend all your money with them?  If you're counting on the latter, or some verbal promise from the guy in service, don't be surprised if you have a failure a few years from now and the ESP folks deny the claim and the dealership tells you there is nothing they can do about it.

Jerry

That is what I have been told happens most of the time.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

So, basically you are screwed if you do any mods at all?
I do not think I have seen or heard any stock Harley in all the years I have been riding. I might just have the dealer decat the headers and choose whatever slipons I want with a good tune. Cannot imagine warranty would be totally void with V&H or Rhinehart slipons purchased at the dealership as long as they do the tune. Not planning to do anything to the heads or change cams.
Right now, my CVO Road King sounds like a Honda...

timo482

• Elite CVO Member

some dealers will do a "dealer warranty" if they do the work, but hd voids the power train warranty if you do any change other than the few specific street legal upgrades. the street tuner will not void the warranty - the super tuner will, well all tuners of any description other than the street tuner will flag your warranty void when it shows up at a dealer.

if you never travel and you get a dealer warranty in writing its all good - but if you travel, the bean counters will look at the aftermarket parts and hand you the whole bill for the repairs on your bike.

it all sucks - and it sure is different than many years past but its the way it is now. its not uncommon for folks to get a new bike, pay for 7 years warranty/&/service contract and then have the dealer make changes that void that 7 years. from the dealer point of view they got your 2grand in esp cash and never have to do any of the work, plus they get paid for mods to a new bike.  either way they win.

to

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

Thanks for the info Timo482. Knowing that, I will make sure I get something in writing from the dealer that does the work. I know it won't help me if the bike breaks down when I am over 300 miles away but, at least I do most of my riding within that range.
Will just cross my fingers for longer trips...

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana

You can never count on any warranty being valid if you change any aspect of the bike. Even aftermarket slip-on
exhaust can void your warranty if the dealer chooses to do so. Everybody that buys a HD wants to change the
exhaust and at that point you are at there mercy.

Extended warranty is a waste of good money. Take that money and put it away to pay for repairs if something
goes wrong because in the end you will probably have to pay for it anyway.

It would be better if they would lower the price of the bike and it come with no warranty. JMHO.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

I guess different areas have a different set of standards by their local dealers.   All the dealers, that I have dealt with in the Midwest, will honor the factory warranty with aftermarket pipes and tuners.  Two dealers that I deal with will even honor the warranty with a mild cam upgrade, more than that...forget it.  If I had a dealer tell me that my warranty wasn't good unless his technicians did the work, I'd find another dealer.  All these dealers want our business, my philosophy is they need to earn it.  Fifteen years ago there was a waiting list and they were in control, in these times, several dealers will probably have the bike you want on the showroom floor which puts the buyer in control. 

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.