Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?  (Read 14902 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »

I was a big fan of the ESP until they denied a claim on the '09 SERG because of a SE Stage III Kit. 'Have since cancelled on the '09 (after a crank and 2 rear tires) 'Still have ESP on the bone stock '05 SEEG though.

Wait until you are almost out of the factory warranty before you purchase the ESP, otherwise you get 2 years of 'overlap'.

I recommend the tire & wheel. (no deductible).
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »

Oh yeah!  We had to be very creative before the adjuster could come out and view the motor. 
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »

At this point I just want a great exhaust system and that's it. So I need to figure out what is not going to void anything.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »

At this point I just want a great exhaust system and that's it. So I need to figure out what is not going to void anything.
Anything other than a street legal H-D muffler will void it for sure if they catch it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »

I can certainly see 'both' sides of the ESP discussion and even 'our' side vs ESP's side regard mods.  We know that a stage one with a proper tune will certainly do nothing in and of itself to cause the motor to fail and we sure don't think we should be denied coverage for that or pulling a trailer, etc.  But ESP has agreed to cover repairs for failure of components as they come from the factory.  If they allow some mods where do they draw the line?  I've never had a claim denied (major ones like total motor replacement) even though I had a stage one mod.  Maybe I was lucky as I understand the ESP inspectors are taking a real hard line now.  That is the primary reason my 2012 is bone stock as I don't want to give them any excuse to deny a potential future claim.

And yes, most folks 'lose out' or the ESP company would not be able to make a profit.  But if you are like me and ride a lot of miles and keep your bike for several years it will most likely pay for itself imo.  I've had ESP on three bikes and they have all paid for themselves many times over.  Just my anecdotal experience.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »

Agreed, but the MOCO should make it clear that dealers should inform people when they sell the warranty that ANY modifications may void the warranty.  Mine certainly didn't, and from the sound of it most don't.  It is clear however that you read the warranty, it is very clear what voids the warranty.  CNA is really taking a hard line on this, especially with the engine.  Their most frequent claim on the 110 motor is the crank, so they are doing everything they can to look for abnormalities on any bike that is making a claim.

In the end, buyer beware.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »

I think mileage is the key word here. I f you ride enough the tire and wheel will pay for them self. I had 2 new tire from damage. The extended warranty  saved me 9000.00 over the extra five years.   It was an 07 SERK . They were the worst of the bikes it looks like but I still bought the ESPO fort he 14 SERK. I put about 12000 miles a year and plan on more as I age I hope.    Billy
I agree my 2007 SERK was a disaster and required 5 crate motors from the Motor Company within 15 months.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »

...and then you went with a S&S  ;D

ktorian

Re:
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »

I bought the ESP with my 2014 Limited.   I was initially planning to have the dealer install Rineharts and a super tuner, but I changed my mind after learning it would void the warranty. It says so in the catalog and i confirmed it on the phone to Milwaukee. The dealer tried hard to convince me that they would look out for me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I went with Street Cannons and a download and couldn't be happier.  All street legal and warranty intact. The catalog clearly indicated what parts are street legal as well as what parts will or won't void the warranty.

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »

It's American union labor, get the warranty.  :2vrolijk_21:

Organized labor built this country and raised the standard of living.....thanks to all my Union Brothers  :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re:
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »

I bought the ESP with my 2014 Limited.   I was initially planning to have the dealer install Rineharts and a super tuner, but I changed my mind after learning it would void the warranty. It says so in the catalog and i confirmed it on the phone to Milwaukee. The dealer tried hard to convince me that they would look out for me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I went with Street Cannons and a download and couldn't be happier.  All street legal and warranty intact. The catalog clearly indicated what parts are street legal as well as what parts will or won't void the warranty.

All dealers try to convince people they will "look out for them", but I don't remember hearing about any that would put it in writing and have the dealer principal sign it.  Harley sells illegal stuff to the dealers for a profit, the dealers turn around and sell the illegal stuff to customers for a profit, and then Harley stiffs the customers by voiding the warranty after the customer buys the BS and the lies.  It's hard to understand why some folks like me don't have much use for Harley management, isn't it?

I think the proper way to handle this is for the EPA to bust the butts of both Harley and the dealers for selling illegal emission system defeat devices to people who use their bikes on public roads.  If Harley had ever been treated the same way the auto companies were concerning this subject, you wouldn't see SEPST's being sold openly at every dealership to every non-racer street bike rider who walks in the door.  The fines, if EPA were to enforce the law, would put most dealers out of business and put a world of hurt on H-D as well.  Enforcement would have given H-D the incentive to put out a product that ran well right off the showroom floor, and saved the average customer a bunch of money on tuning devices that made up a big part of the "Harley Tax" everyone had to pay to make their new bike run worth a chit. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »

Interesting take on the ESP issue. Never really looked at it that way.....but your are right.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

Interesting take on the ESP issue. Never really looked at it that way.....but your are right.
No kidding.

That's a damn fine post Jerry.
The best you've had is the best you know.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »

Anybody remember the old commercials about if E.F. Hutton talks, everybody listens ? I know I'm showing my age here.  Around here, if Jerry talks, everybody listens. No bullchit, just the truth.  :2vrolijk_21:

As to the ESP, I don't buy them on anything, never.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

ultrarider123

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »

I'll chime in on this one.....Jerry does not like the ESP.  He has valid points and I have to agree with him.  As others have stated, however, they were very glad they had the ESP and per their issues, ESP was a good purchase for them.

Whether it's a garage queen or a cross country jugggernaut, it all boils down to betting.  You hope the ESP is never used but you put the coins in the slot anyway.  Either way, the house wins.  If you do use your ESP and it comes in handy, you pat yourself on the back because you made that purchase.  The house still wins, however, because they took your money and invested it to make more.  What little claim you may have had is a drop in the bucket compared to what they made while they had your money.  Plus, at the end of the contract, it's all theirs.  But for every ESP claim, there are probably 10-15 policies never used.  House wins again.  Otherwise, why sell the darn insurance in the first place?  CNA (or any other firm for that matter) is NOT in the business to lose money.

Me?  I have purchased the ESP in the past (last time was on the 1997 Ultra....never used it).  Have not since and did not when I bought Ginger.  Thought about it....and am considering it as my factory warranty is out end of March this year just because of my fear the 110 gremlins that MANY of our other brothers/sisters have encountered.  However, consider this as I am.  If I take that same $1,500 to $1,900 and put it in the bank for "future" problems, it will be drawing me interest (what little it will) and NOT the insurance company.  Yep, I may still have to use it plus more if there are major problems but it's in the bank, not the hands of the insurance company.  At the end of 3, 4 or 5 years and I don't use it, it's still my money.  Plus, I can modify to my hearts content after the warranty goes out and not worry about any denied claims.... :2vrolijk_21:

Just some thoughts to ponder upon this lovely Wednesday afternoon.... :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:53:13 PM by Haird »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 20 queries.