Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?  (Read 14901 times)

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »

Ok so I ordered my bike should be here mid March. The dealer went over some things to think about. They offered the 2+5 year ESP for $1699 and the same time frame on the rim and tire coverage for $1999. So seven years of "bumper to bumper coverage" they said it is the same as the warranty you get for two years just extended. Has anyone had to use it if so what is not covered? I tried looking for current info on it and found nothing.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
Re: Extended service plan (ESP) worth the price?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:31:25 PM »

It can easily pay for itself... Easily.

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

The new contracts are now V-series contracts...some coverages are changed...deductibles are a little higher...price on 7 year no tire and wheel is good ...but with tire and wheel you should get a little better say $1,900 ...kutter harley is a good place to check on pricing...you can buy the extended from any harley dealer...

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »

Does the tire/rim pay for labor if you have a problem? The dealer said no deductibles on tire/rim and I forgot to ask about deductible on the ESP.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »

On my ESP it pays for labor, I have been told that they are not all the same. But if your tire is worn below 2/32 left, they pay for nothing on your tires. So what ever happens to your tires, hope it happens before 3/32 of rubber is left.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »

Good to know.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »

I got the extended warranty making it a 7 year unlimited milage. I would think it would be well worth it especially with the new electronics. Now just ride the crap out of it and enjoy without worrying about issues.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »

I bought mine from Kutter's for 20% off. Some dealers have a sign up in the service area that the ESP will pay for repairs but not diagnostics. Haven't had to use mine yet so I can't confirm that.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mark

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

To each his own on ESPs, but these are offered because they are very profitable for the dealers.  I'm always humored by salespersons (both auto and motorcycles) who tell you how good their product is when they are convincing you to buy.  Once you decide to purchase, they tell you their chit will probably break and you should buy one of their insurance policies.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »

I bought the 5 year - wish I bought the 7.

So far - I new rear tire, $350
New clutch including hydraulics  $1200
New motor (rebuild) $North of 6K
New heated seat. $900+

I'll buy on the next one too.  But realize, I ride 20K/year.  I might not buy if I was buying garage bling.  In my case, something like a Breakout.  That would only get a few thousand miles per year, and might not be worth it for me.
Spada84
NoSofa!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »

My advice is the same as it would be for any service contract purchase.  Have them give you a complete copy of the actual contract that details what is covered, what isn't covered, what the deductible is and how it's applied (per item, per service visit, etc.).  Right off the top, unless something has changed for 2014 the ESP DOES NOT cover everything just like warranty.  Things like paint, chrome, etc. are not covered for instance.  The actual contract should give you the real scoop, versus the BS you will get from a salesman.

Also, be very aware of the gotcha's.  Modifications can void the contract.  Use of nonstandard parts can void the contract.  There are plenty of people on this and other forums who can tell you how the ESP folks refused to cover repairs due to mods, even when the mods had nothing to do with the failure in question.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »

The more miles you ride, the more value it provides, 5000 miles a year or less, may not be worth the cost, def not the wheel and tire. I bought both on my 2010 but wouldn't have brought the wheel and tire in hind sight. I have used the ESP on a oil consumption issue, $50 copayment each time it goes in the shop for warranty/ESP issues.
Supershooter

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »

I purchased the 5yr extended warranty plan, just not the wheel and tire plan.  Chances are you will come out ahead in the long run.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:56:45 PM »

I purchased the 5yr extended warranty plan, just not the wheel and tire plan.  Chances are you will come out ahead in the long run.

I'm not sure how you can say that, since you don't know how much the bike will actually be ridden and under what conditions.  Actually, the chances (odds) are that most people will not come out ahead.  The ESP is very profitable for H-D, the dealership, and the actual ESP company.  If most policy holders "came out ahead", then there would be no profits.  This is the case with all such service contracts, no matter what product they cover (TV, car, bike, whatever).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:03:25 PM »

It's American union labor, get the warranty.  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 20 queries.