Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 3314 times)

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
Extended warranty
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:02:52 PM »

I know this topic has been beat up pretty good but all of the info I have found appears to be older than five years. I must decide by the end of march 2014.
Thanks to all for your time,
john

ultrarider123

Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »

John, here's a few newer/recent/within the last few months discussions on the the extended warranty issues with all kinds of opinions....just gotta look deeper when you search, brother.  There are quite a few more but thought this would get you started:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=92107.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=91130.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=89624.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=88614.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=88136.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=88240.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=86709.0

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »

Hey thanks Haird,
I figured there was more out there just didn't run across them in my search. I am leaning towards purchasing the extended warranty. I feel the piece of mind for the next five years is worth it.
Thanks again,
john

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »

I bought the 7 year ESP with my bike in January 2013. Went to the dealer yesterday and cancelled it. I didn't know at the time of purchase that I was going to make so many mods to my bike but I've touched about everything but the radio.

I guess, if you're going to leave the bike alone and just ride it, an ESP might work in your favor but if you're planning any modifications it may not. For sure you should read all the fine print about exclusions to the policy before you sign up. The ESP company had a lot of outs written into mine.

Joe

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

Hey thanks Haird,
I figured there was more out there just didn't run across them in my search. I am leaning towards purchasing the extended warranty. I feel the piece of mind for the next five years is worth it.Thanks again,
john

I believe you answered your own querry there, John.  As Joe stated in his previous post, if you keep it stock and are fine with that you should be good to go and hopefully you won't need to use the insurance.  If you like to mod, mod, mod and then some, may not be a good route...piece of mind or otherwise.  Opinions are like arseholes....we all have 'em...so bottom line is you, brother.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »

I believe you answered your own querry there, John.  As Joe stated in his previous post, if you keep it stock and are fine with that you should be good to go and hopefully you won't need to use the insurance.  If you like to mod, mod, mod and then some, may not be a good route...piece of mind or otherwise.  Opinions are like arseholes....we all have 'em...so bottom line is you, brother.

Yep! What he said.  :2vrolijk_21:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »

I bought the 7 year ESP with my bike in January 2013. Went to the dealer yesterday and cancelled it. I didn't know at the time of purchase that I was going to make so many mods to my bike but I've touched about everything but the radio.

I guess, if you're going to leave the bike alone and just ride it, an ESP might work in your favor but if you're planning any modifications it may not. For sure you should read all the fine print about exclusions to the policy before you sign up. The ESP company had a lot of outs written into mine.

Joe

In days past ESP/Dealer would cover some mods, not any more!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »

Thanks all,
The only mod I made of any significance was the exhaust with tuner which was installed by the dealer prior to taking delivery. Engine guard was also installed at the same time by the dealer. I am very happy with the bike the way it is except for maybe a set of highway pegs...unless the engine craps the bed then engine mods would be made...no use fixing something that isn't broke. I will most certainly review all of the fine print as suggested.
Thanks again,
john

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »

For sure check the fine print. The "tuner" is one of the mods that have bit a few people in the azz, depends on dealer sometimes. I did not buy ESP, based on my bike had been running great for almost 3 years, I was not getting to ride as many miles in a year as I would have liked. Plus I had a local independent shop that I trusted 110% with my CVO to repair any problem that might occur without any question as to what I had or had not changed on my bike.
Shop around for discount pricing on the ESP if you decide to buy it.   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »

Thanks sharp road king. I never thought of shopping around for the best price. Just assumed the moco had just one set price...take it or leave it. I will for sure make some phone calls.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »

Call Cutter HD 866-405-1164. They should give you 20% off list price.
T-MAN 117 kit

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »

Thanks deldago for the Cutter HD headsup...I will give them a call.
john

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »

Well today I purchased the extended warranty (ew) for Rose, aka my 2012 cvo convertible.  Thank you very much to all who participated in the stupid little survey. There are just about as many different stories, both pro and con, as there are riders. So as to cut to the chase the survey just kept to the basics. It appears the majority of riders who purchased the EW are glad they did...that was good enough for me.
You all enjoy the upcoming riding season and stay safe...
john

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
  • Live like today is your last day
    • MT

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide CVO Skunk
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »

you have a 110 in your CVO, between 15 and 20 K the lifters will need replacing, the dealer nor ESP will do it until the engine self destructs.  So, if you change them, your voided your ESP contract for the engine, if you don't change them, ESP will get to build you a new engine.  either way you are impacted.  ESP is good for alot of things, but not routine maintenance for service related parts.  It has to break before ESP will pay, no payment on routine maintenance.  ASk me how i know....

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »

you have a 110 in your CVO, between 15 and 20 K the lifters will need replacing, the dealer nor ESP will do it until the engine self destructs.  So, if you change them, your voided your ESP contract for the engine, if you don't change them, ESP will get to build you a new engine.  either way you are impacted.  ESP is good for alot of things, but not routine maintenance for service related parts.  It has to break before ESP will pay, no payment on routine maintenance.  ASk me how i know....

Me 2, ESP only works when they send a truck 2 pick it up, my 07 was clanging no help, when the Engine became shrapnel they replaced it, thank goodness the case was busted or they would have repaired it. I had a wrecker bring it to my home so I could replace entire exhaust air cleaner cooling fan etc and lucky I did the ESP rep looked for anyway possible to void the agreement.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:47:09 AM by dartman »

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.