Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 07 serk unknown 110  (Read 1626 times)

dre442

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
07 serk unknown 110
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »

I picked up an 07 serk and am trying to find out if the recall on the head gaskets where done and thinking about what I should address with lifters cam bearings etc. Is there a way to see if the upgrade was done and what are you thoughts on the other issues. Bike has 6500 miles on it and seems "normal" from a engine noise compare to my ultra. Opinions are appreciated 

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
Re: 07 serk unknown 110
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »

Any Harley dealer should be able to run the vin and see what was done under warranty.
T-MAN 117 kit

dre442

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »

thanks, going to try that tomorrow. Any thoughts on other items?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »

I picked up an 07 serk and am trying to find out if the recall on the head gaskets where done and thinking about what I should address with lifters cam bearings etc. Is there a way to see if the upgrade was done and what are you thoughts on the other issues. Bike has 6500 miles on it and seems "normal" from a engine noise compare to my ultra. Opinions are appreciated

At 6500 miles you probably aren't at the point yet of imminent valve train failure, but there are no guarantees with a Harley.  The inner cam bearings, the lifters, and the valve guides are all potential problem areas that I would address if I planned on keeping the bike and rolling up some serious miles.  The head gasket service program didn't replace the heads on the bikes without lowers like the RK btw.

Any Harley dealership can easily input your VIN to the Harley computer system and verify if the Product Program 0906 was claimed to be performed by any dealer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »

Any Harley dealership can easily input your VIN to the Harley computer system and verify if the Product Program 0906 was claimed to be performed by any dealer.

Jerry
[/quote] Very true Jerry, just because it was claimed doesn't necessarily mean it was done!
T-MAN 117 kit

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »

Jerry
 Very true Jerry, just because it was claimed doesn't necessarily mean it was done!

;D   I wondered if anyone would catch that.  Not that I would ever think a Harley dealership would do anything illegal like commit fraud by submitting a claim for work they didn't perform.   :o

I'm going to guess if the bike has made it to 6500 miles without a head gasket or base gasket failure then it's probably either had the rework or it was one of those engines that didn't actually have a problem.  If the engine had been leaking there should be visible evidence, and if the previous owner just did a really good cleanup job prior to the sale instead of getting a leak fixed then it wouldn't take too long for it to show up again.  I'd be more concerned about the potential valve train issues.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »

Don't botter asking the dealer...  Go registre your bike on HD site, you will see for yourself what was done on your bike.

Of course this won't tell you if there was real wrench time put on your bike.  You will only know if the repair was reported to HD....

dre442

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »

Don't botter asking the dealer...  Go registre your bike on HD site, you will see for yourself what was done on your bike.

Of course this won't tell you if there was real wrench time put on your bike.  You will only know if the repair was reported to HD....

I registered on the recall site and it tells me what programs or recalls that are applicable for a specific VIN. Is there another place where you can view what has been reported?

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »

I registered on the recall site and it tells me what programs or recalls that are applicable for a specific VIN. Is there another place where you can view what has been reported?

Not sure to follow...  You want to see recalls that are not related to your VIN ?  ???

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »

Might want to have someone put an eyeball on that pinon-shaft TIR, on that 2007 model as well.
Scott

dre442

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »

Not sure to follow...  You want to see recalls that are not related to your VIN ?  ???
Sorry to confuse, the HD site has the program for the 07 110 motor. I am trying to find out if it has been performed on this VIN. I will ask the dealer tomorrow unless there is an online resource to check. Thanks to all for the feedback.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »

a few near term upgrade suggestions
- Inner cam bearing.  Torrington bearing is what most use.  typically come with cam install kit offered by many like S&S
- Lifters.  known issue and can cause severe engine damage when they fail.  While many have got 20K miles or so, I wouldn't wait for a failure.  Suggest S&S lifters
- With lifters and cam bearing out, suggest a same swap.  Research and select base on your build
- Suggest stage 1 air cleaner, cat-less exhaust header and new mufflers.  Lots of choices.  If you like stock look and want to keep cost down, have a look at Fulsac offering.  Fulsac header uses stock heat shield and cores for stock mufflers inexpensive.  They also offer the TTS with the decent canned map for you application.  Fuel Moto also has similar head pipe and lots of muffler options
- if you're going to think about replacing the valve guides, consider doing a little bit of headwork, including shaving the heads to increase compression.  This plays into your cam choice.  If you're looking for something mild, then 10:1 compression with S&S 570 cam is a good choice.
- you'll need a ECM tuning device such as TTS, Power Comander, SEPST.  All good options and would suggest going with the one your local tuner prefers or the tuner you plan on using (dyno tune is always better than a canned map)
- at some point you will probably need to replace the compensator.  Several updates to the compensator since 2007.  If you do replace, suggest putting the heavier clutch spring while in there (only about $25)
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »

Sorry to confuse, the HD site has the program for the 07 110 motor. I am trying to find out if it has been performed on this VIN. I will ask the dealer tomorrow unless there is an online resource to check. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Ok... There's probably other places where you can register your bike.  :)

Go there: https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/service-your-bike/service-recalls/service-recalls.html?version=desktop&

Create your account and register all your bikes...  You will have access to open and closed recalls for each of your VINs...

I just verified, and there is an open recall on my 2009 FXCWC.  It's been there for four years and it's still open....   Ok, don't bash me, I'll go as soon as the snow is gone...    :-\ . I also see the closed recalls I took care of.

Hope this will answer your questions !!!

Dah

bensonjv

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »

Figured I'd resurrect an old thread rather than creating a new thread on essentially the same topic.  I have a new-to-me 07 SE Springer with just over 9K miles on it.  Had my eye on this model since I first saw it hit the showroom floor.  Because of that OCD focus, I became aware of a few of the hiccups it had during the early roll out.  Now finally owning one I want to verify what was and was not addressed.  I have it registered the bike in the owner's section of the Harley site.  I just want to ensure I am interpreting the data correctly.  Can someone confirm this:

If a recall or product program code is 'open' my VIN is affected but the work has not been reported as performed.  If it is 'closed' it is presumed that HD completed the work on my VIN.  I most concerned with two key work items; the battery cable recall and the 110 gasket/head work product program.

Recall 0130 for battery cable/caddy - As I recall, this involved the potential for the battery cable casing to chafe against parts and expose the wires which would short out or possibly result in fire.

Product Program 0906 - The 110" gaskets, etc. 

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »

Might want to have someone put an eyeball on that pinon-shaft TIR, on that 2007 model as well.
Scott

Bump.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.