Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lifter questions  (Read 10143 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Lifter questions
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »

My experience with lifters hasn't been good. My 07 110 had a roller failure of a Fueling lifter in the first 50 miles.

Were your Feuling failures with the their "Race" lifter or the less expensive HP+ version?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »

Part number for S&S lifter. 33-5350

These are the previous design S&S lifters, prior to the current S&S Premium lifter (p/n 330-0175) .  The basic design of this lifter was the same as the previous MOCO C lifter, although the manufacturing tolerances were significantly different, particularly in the area of the roller/axle components.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 11:34:03 AM »

I have 103,000 miles on my 08 Ultra CVO - here is my lifter story:
At 40,371 miles, I had to replace the lifters.  P/N 18538-99B went in Nov, 2010.  Done in warranty.
At 101,361 miles, I had to replace the lifters. -99C lifters went in Jan, 2014; also replaced cams with same SE255, oil pump, and chain tensioners.  Work was done at no charge by dealer.  Am now at 103,000+, very quiet motor so far.
Note I still have the original lifter blocks.

Tennisman - I'm curious, what caused you change your lifters.  If I did the math right, you got 40,000+ miles on the first set of "B" lifters, and around 61,000 miles out of the 2nd set of "B" lifters and are currently using the "C" version.  Did you have any tell-tale signs?  I'm debating what to do as I've got just over 41,000 miles on my 08, but so far, all is good.  But, I don't want anything catastrophic to happen either.  If I do change, I'm either going with S&S or the new Harley SE version (18572-13).  I'll also do the inner cam bearings then as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:38:39 AM by DCC »
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »

My experience with lifters hasn't been good. My 07 110 had a roller failure of a Fueling lifter in the first 50 miles. My 08 SE had a stock roller failure at 18000 miles. I replaced the stock lifter with another and that lasted for another 12000 miles. Interestingly the stock lifter that failed was not in the same postion so I ruled out oil flow/pressure issues.  The replacement Fueling lifter lasted for 7000 miles before I sold the bike and never heard from the new owner again.  After the second stock lifter failed I went the the screaming eagle lifters and have gone 15000 miles with out a problem. This long cold winter gave me a chance to remove the SE lifters and inspect them.  They were perfect and I reused them. What to make of this? I hear horror stories about Twin Cam lifters and cams all the time. Mater of fact the dealer told me the 14"s now come with SE lifters in them from the factory! If that's true then Harley has realized they have an issue and are trying to do something about it. Will they be the ultimate answer? I don't claim to know but since no brand of lifter seems immune from failure then it must be due to poor engine design.  I agree that these motors run such heavy valves that they require huge springs run at unbelievable pressures to keep things in control. everything in the valve train is completely backwards to what I been taught. Steel push rods are strong but incredibly heavy. Spring rates that are off the wall and rocker arms that gouge the valve stems can't help valve train durability. The aftermarket seems to have alot of replacement parts for TC valve trains issues. Are they trying to overcome a poor design or inferior components?

When you say failed it lost metal or just started to make noise??  If there where parts loose inside was the oil pan ever pulled and cleaned??  Its a question not implying blame .   Since we do offer a warranty on our own lifters its more so just info for us.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »

Last word in lifters is S&S.
Enough said.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »

Last word in lifters is S&S.
Enough said.
What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »

The Fueling that failed was a RACE lifter.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »

The Fueling that failed was a RACE lifter.

Thanks.  I know of a few of their Race lifter that has failed.  Inversely I've never had a failure in one of their far less expensive standard HP+ lifters. 

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »

To Fueling's credit they made good for the lifters (Rightfully so for 50 miles). The roller was seized solid and then started screeching which of course took out the cam.  The oil pan was pulled, the cam case cleaned out and the oil cooler was removed. I took the cooler to work and flushed it out which I'm told nobody does.  I found some metal in the oil cooler so I hope I averted a repeat failure by doing it. As I said I never had another issue in the time I owned the bike and the dealer that services it said that he hasn't had any problems with it.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »

So I bit the bullet and decided it was time to open the cam chest and check things out.  My 08 CVO has always had some valve train noise since day one and other than that, I absolutely love this bike.  41000 miles on the clock.  I've road a lot of newer frame bikes and am just not happy with the newer suspension.  So, I just completed installing new lifters, inner cam bearings, and I also installed the newer rocker housings (my original rocker housings were clearanced back when, but still were suspect).  I am happy to report that I no longer have any of the valve train noise.  Well, let's say it's more like sewing machine noise if any.  I can't believe how much better my engine sounds.  I am Sooooo glad I made the decision to do this as I intend to get many more happy miles from this bike.  Upon inspection of my original lifters, cams, and inner cam bearings, I did not see any evidence of unusual wear and tear.  Tensioners looked good as well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »

So I bit the bullet and decided it was time to open the cam chest and check things out.  My 08 CVO has always had some valve train noise since day one and other than that, I absolutely love this bike.  41000 miles on the clock.  I've road a lot of newer frame bikes and am just not happy with the newer suspension.  So, I just completed installing new lifters, inner cam bearings, and I also installed the newer rocker housings (my original rocker housings were clearanced back when, but still were suspect).  I am happy to report that I no longer have any of the valve train noise.  Well, let's say it's more like sewing machine noise if any.  I can't believe how much better my engine sounds.  I am Sooooo glad I made the decision to do this as I intend to get many more happy miles from this bike.  Upon inspection of my original lifters, cams, and inner cam bearings, I did not see any evidence of unusual wear and tear.  Tensioners looked good as well.

At 40k miles you didn't replaced the tensioners while you there?  That's one of those "just because I'm there" things for me.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »

They basically didn't show much wear.  Good for at least another 40K.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »

What lifters did you go with? I have 13.5k on my bike and it's in the shop getting Dragos 580 cam and S&S lifters.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »

I used the latest Screaming Eagle lifter. Knowing Harley they are probably made by some outside company ?

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »

I used the latest Screaming Eagle lifter. Knowing Harley they are probably made by some outside company ?

According to Frank they are made in Mexico and the S&S premiums are made in the USA which is what prompted me to go with the S&S along with the fact that Harley can't seem to put a decent set of lifters together for the 110 lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.