Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Big smokey problem  (Read 5486 times)

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Big smokey problem
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:03:24 AM »

I just completed a 95" upgrade on a 2006 FLHRI  KB pistons 37g  gear drive fueling billet oil pump, new breathers in head  from HD s&s lifters and Pushrods   After 500 miles took it for dyno tune  Tuner said its smoking  I take it for a ride and its smoking bad   Rear cylinder only  I tear it back down and find oil ring has walked around into piston pin cut out   OK seems obvious   Re assemble with new heads this time and same problem  I checked breathers at air cleaner and rear vent is sucking and front head is blowing.  weird   with air cleaner removed and vent tubes off,  it does not smoke. I reinstall tubes and air cleaner and it starts smoking again  Bad   Any direction would be greatly appreciated
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Big smokey problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:01 AM »

piston photo
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:52 AM »

Get rid of the kaboom pistons and get 98 cu. CP or weisco then bore to 98.

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:24:52 AM »

Those KB pistons are sadly scrap metal....the forged ones seem to do OK

Find something else........starting to like the S&S 97" pistons
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »

I just completed a 95" upgrade on a 2006 FLHRI  KB pistons 37g  gear drive fueling billet oil pump, new breathers in head  from HD s&s lifters and Pushrods   After 500 miles took it for dyno tune  Tuner said its smoking  I take it for a ride and its smoking bad   Rear cylinder only  I tear it back down and find oil ring has walked around into piston pin cut out   OK seems obvious   Re assemble with new heads this time and same problem  I checked breathers at air cleaner and rear vent is sucking and front head is blowing.  weird   with air cleaner removed and vent tubes off,  it does not smoke. I reinstall tubes and air cleaner and it starts smoking again  Bad   Any direction would be greatly appreciated

Re-bore to 98" with a Wiseco piston.....problem ended.
We've had Wiesco manufacturing those for us since 2006.
Scott

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:25 AM »

X4 on the KB pistons,we wont use them here,agree`d with the 98" build,either wiseco or CP.if the breather hose/air cleaner prob is still there,i would think it would be easy to see what the problem is,theres got to be a obstrucsion somewere in either the hoses or A/C
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:46:37 AM by prodrag1320 »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »

Had a Crane HI-4 in an Evo take a dump once(no surpise there)and the clients KB cast pistons, that he wanted us to use, mind you, did not handle the uncontrolled spark event that occured.
He was upset.
Scott

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »

KaBoom.
I just had the unfortunate insident of dealing with these guys. Friend ordered forged flat tops they send dished. They said they didnt have forged flats and the 2.3 cc wont make a difference.  :huepfenlol2: then he said "why dont just build the engine around the piston. Or you can even shave the top of the piston" I asked him if he wantedto fork up for the added cost of doing that...he didnt like that.
Been three weeks and still no refund on piston. My friends not happy..at all

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »

Well I would check piston to bore clearance first off. Good piston or bad if this spec is off you will have issue. I would think that there is more going on then that brand of piston.  If that oil rail was bent I would think that there is cylinder damage and the rail once bent cannot be re used.

One thing I do see is that the oil ring support rail is not in the picture. If you did not install the rail it will cause ring flutter and the oil rail will pop out. Here is the instructions I pulled of KB site.

https://www.uempistons.com/installation_instructions/motorcycle_installation.pdf

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:13:24 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »

Regardless it seems that everything points to pistons or rings  I don't believe it to be sumping as I have no heat buildup   It does puzzle me about the rear head breather sucking though  The front pushes air out well I had hoped this would be a sign of what failed      I did look closely at cylinder and saw no appreciable damage,  slight scuffs only  the oil ring showed no distortion   
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

rbabos

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »

Both breathers should blow, regardless of the piston issue. Something wrong with the rear breather. Both share the same common chamber to breathe  from= case.
Ron
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:10:25 AM by rbabos »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »

Ron makes a good point. :2vrolijk_21:

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

I think the same on that   but   is in the umbrella? would that make it smoke?  really strange that when I reinstall the breather tubes and air cleaner it starts smoking again 

2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

rbabos

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »

I think the same on that   but   is in the umbrella? would that make it smoke?  really strange that when I reinstall the breather tubes and air cleaner it starts smoking again
At idle the front breather is enough. Block off the rear and see if it changes, as a short term test. If the crankcase cannot be brought into a near vacuum state via the breathers all kinds of weird chit can happen. Oil control at the rings themselve being one and all this extra huffing and puffing induces extra oil vapor into the intake. That's the only explanation I can come up with for smoking when breather is hooked up.
Ron

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »

Any chance one umbrella assembly is installed upside down?  It's easy to do with the latest version of umbrella breather assemblies...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 24 queries.