Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tranmission Problems  (Read 7071 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Tranmission Problems
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »

Just wanted to share my experience with transmission problems.

2010 FLHTK and at 25K miles I changed the transmission oil to Redline Shockproof.  Everything that I was told about this lubricate was true.  Smoother shifting, easier to find neutral, less noise in first gear.

However, at 40k miles the main outer bearing failed.  Had it repaired and put Shockproof back in.

Then at 65k miles the inner bearing failed.  My mechanic called me out on the Shockproof.  He said that the Shockproof really adheres to the gears but he has concerns that since it was so thick that it might not be lubricating the bearing thoroughly.  So we agreed to put the SYN 3 in the transmission

Thankfully all this work was covered under the ESP.

I am not saying that Redline Shockproof is a bad product or that I wouldn't have had these problems if I hadn't used it.  But for me, I don't plan on using this product any more.

Has anyone else had any transmission problems, regardless of lubrication brand?

mrbhd

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2008 Flhtcuse3
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Re: Tranmission Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »

Sorry to hear of your issues,  However,  I have been running shockproof for many many years in several different bikes.  Never once had any transmission problems.   

rbabos

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »

Just wanted to share my experience with transmission problems.

2010 FLHTK and at 25K miles I changed the transmission oil to Redline Shockproof.  Everything that I was told about this lubricate was true.  Smoother shifting, easier to find neutral, less noise in first gear.

However, at 40k miles the main outer bearing failed.  Had it repaired and put Shockproof back in.

Then at 65k miles the inner bearing failed.  My mechanic called me out on the Shockproof.  He said that the Shockproof really adheres to the gears but he has concerns that since it was so thick that it might not be lubricating the bearing thoroughly.  So we agreed to put the SYN 3 in the transmission

Thankfully all this work was covered under the ESP.

I am not saying that Redline Shockproof is a bad product or that I wouldn't have had these problems if I hadn't used it.  But for me, I don't plan on using this product any more.

Has anyone else had any transmission problems, regardless of lubrication brand?
Has your dealer been living under a rock? Syn3 was used early on and they had too many trans issues as in more then normal.  They were told not to use it . Basically it's an engine oil, not really suited for gear boxes.  Shockproof is better or any gear lube for that matter. The bearing issues you mentioned are not that uncommon.
Ron
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:43:34 PM by rbabos »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »

Bearing problems were an issue when the Cruise Drive was first introduced, and I have no recollection of those problems being tied to any particular lubricant.  Just like in other issues common to the 2007 changes, the problems were really caused by design choices and cheapening by the MoCo.  Case in point, the seven year and counting compensator fiasco.  Also the Inner Primary Bearing (IPB) failures that were common as soon as Harley made the change to the primary drive and trans in the 2006 Dyna's.  Harley even knew about those problems before they actually put the bikes on the market, not that it made any difference to them.

To make a long story shorter, your mechanic is falling for the incorrect assumption many people make about the viscosity of that "Heavy" Shockproof gear lube.  Check the actual viscosity as listed in the data sheets and you'll find the same 75w90 rating that applies to the other trans lubes commonly used (the 50 weight motor oil Harley installs in the trans on the CVO's is equivalent to a 90 weight on the gear lube scale btw).

One thing about some gear lubes that could cause problems has to do with the extreme pressure additives used in some GL4 and GL5 lubes.  Some of those additives have been known to attack brass or bronze (yellow metal) bushings.  I'm pretty sure the bearings you are talking about aren't brass or bronze.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rbabos

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »

Bearing problems were an issue when the Cruise Drive was first introduced, and I have no recollection of those problems being tied to any particular lubricant.  Just like in other issues common to the 2007 changes, the problems were really caused by design choices and cheapening by the MoCo.  Case in point, the seven year and counting compensator fiasco.  Also the Inner Primary Bearing (IPB) failures that were common as soon as Harley made the change to the primary drive and trans in the 2006 Dyna's.  Harley even knew about those problems before they actually put the bikes on the market, not that it made any difference to them.

To make a long story shorter, your mechanic is falling for the incorrect assumption many people make about the viscosity of that "Heavy" Shockproof gear lube.  Check the actual viscosity as listed in the data sheets and you'll find the same 75w90 rating that applies to the other trans lubes commonly used (the 50 weight motor oil Harley installs in the trans on the CVO's is equivalent to a 90 weight on the gear lube scale btw).

One thing about some gear lubes that could cause problems has to do with the extreme pressure additives used in some GL4 and GL5 lubes.  Some of those additives have been known to attack brass or bronze (yellow metal) bushings.  I'm pretty sure the bearings you are talking about aren't brass or bronze.

Jerry
True on the EP but there are no yellow metals in the 6 speed.
Ron

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »

True on the EP but there are no yellow metals in the 6 speed.
Ron

I know Ron, that was just one of my poor attempts at sarcastic humor.  Often what makes sense in my head as I type doesn't make as much sense once it's posted.  I assume it's a defect in the computer or the network or the site. ;D

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

Jerry
As usual Jerry is on the $$$.
The bearing issues with the CruiseDrives, are not that uncommon...
On our last trip out West, I had contact with 4 Harley Dealerships for service work, (Ogden, Portland, San Diego, Pueblo) All run RedLine in the trannies of their personal bikes, and Syn3 in the other 2 holes...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »

Is it possible that the drive belt was over tightened?  :nixweiss:

rbabos

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »

Is it possible that the drive belt was over tightened?  :nixweiss:
Wouldn't the IDS or wheel bearing be the weaker of the two in that case and fail first?
Ron

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

First of all I want to thank everyone for posting such informative information...It always amazes me of the quality,insightfullness and the high level of exchange of information, experiences and opinions.

So what I have gathered so far is that the concensus is that Syn 3 is not the good option for transmission oil.

Redline Shockproof is OK

Are there any other lubricate/brands that should be considered?

Thanks again

rbabos

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

First of all I want to thank everyone for posting such informative information...It always amazes me of the quality,insightfullness and the high level of exchange of information, experiences and opinions.

So what I have gathered so far is that the concensus is that Syn 3 is not the good option for transmission oil.

Redline Shockproof is OK

Thanks again
Any 80/90 ,75/140 are fine depending on your climate. Main thing is use an oil thats meant for transmissions and it will be fine. They will all be rated at GL4 or better.
Ron

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

You could always use Redline MTL in the primary.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »

Spectro makes a good line of lubricants including a six speed specific fluid recommended by Baker transmission. I have used it in both five speeds and six speeds for years with no problems. http://www.spectroshop.com/www-spectroshop-com/prod_12.html
T-MAN 117 kit

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Baker used to recommend Redline shock proof heavy which I believe is 140W but for the past several years they have changed to Spectro, not sure of the reason, I still use the redline in my Baker DD6 it seems to work ok, I never tried anything else.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »

Redline Shockproof is OK

Thanks again

Amsoil Sever Gear 90w

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.