Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Stereo cutting in and out.  (Read 2324 times)

Honneybeast

• Full CVO Member
  • A cowboy from hell on a twisted trail
Stereo cutting in and out.
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »

I have a 13 ultra classic that the stereo cuts off and on, does it in FM and on the IPod , moving and sitting on the stand. Any body else have similar issue?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Stereo cutting in and out.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »

I am a retired electronic technician. I would look for a loose connection or a bad ground or power wire. Start with fuse area. Are you having any other electrical problems?

Honneybeast

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

I haven't noticed any other issues however I haven't ridden much since the weather hasn't been good and I was recovering from a recent accident. The accident was not this bike, however I called the dealer and they are going to look at it next week. Another question, the bike was on he battery tender and I turn on the acc to listen to the stereo when in the garage , would this cause a head unit to fail or become defective?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »

I haven't noticed any other issues however I haven't ridden much since the weather hasn't been good and I was recovering from a recent accident. The accident was not this bike, however I called the dealer and they are going to look at it next week. Another question, the bike was on he battery tender and I turn on the acc to listen to the stereo when in the garage , would this cause a head unit to fail or become defective?

No.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:23:35 PM »

Mine was doing that and it was the head unit.  Ended up with a replacement.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »

Have you tried adjusting the AVC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »

I have a 13 ultra classic that the stereo cuts off and on, does it in FM and on the IPod , moving and sitting on the stand. Any body else have similar issue?

Is the CB on?

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:09 AM »

I thought I had a problem with my '13 SEUC head unit until I figured out the nav unit was not set up right. It was trying to talk to me and I wasn't smart enough to listen. Got the switches set right and the problem went away.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »

Check a few things first, is the CB on?  Is the nav unit on? If you are in the garage, is it happening on all stations? I noticed that the FM radio has bad reception in my garage.  Always check the simple things first before looking at more complicated items. 
Do it now!

Honneybeast

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »

Good suggestions, Ill check them out , may save me a trip to the dealer. Thanks guys.

Glenncarp

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »

Weird...I have the same issue with my '11 SERGU, the problem is called "clipping" in my situation. Here is my deal: I had Pete at Soundz Customz the level 4 package at Daytona, ARC 4 channel Amp, and 4 6.5" Focal speakers.Sound was much improved over stock Harmon Kardin, but I was still not over joyed having spent $1,500. Then the "clipping" started. Pete told me to turn off AVC or leave it at only 1 bar. I had it at 1 bar for the rode home. I took the bike out a week later on a long ride and I thought whenever I got the speed over 60 MPH the clipping would start. I called Pete and he was helpful, but he had not heard of this issue with his AMP. We both summarized the issue was something with the head unit. I stopped at HD and they claimed the ACV works with the MPH, not the RPM's. When the bike is not traveling, and I get the RPM's to 2,500 to 3,000 sitting still, no clipping, as soon as the same happened when riding it starts. I noted that when the clipping starts, the volume is half way up and as soon as I lower the volume by i bar, it stops. The clipping is most noticeable using the IPOD, but happens with volume higher when radio is used. Strangely enough, no issue with XM being used.

I know the drill, HD will tell me that since I used aftermarket stuff, there is the issue and has nothing to due with their head unit. In speaking with Pete, he told me the HD head unit only has 1 volt coming out of the IPOD function and he states that changing the head unit to the Sony will make a world of difference. Since he is 3,000 miles from me, I went to my local stereo guru's and they showed me a newer Sony head unit that has a 2 year warranted, the AP feature but more importantly there are 5 volts out of the unit and a very tunable EQ built in. Soooo, after spending $1,500 with Pete, I am now forced to spend another $800 to get the stereo to work correctly!!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

Weird...I have the same issue with my '11 SERGU, the problem is called "clipping" in my situation. Here is my deal: I had Pete at Soundz Customz the level 4 package at Daytona, ARC 4 channel Amp, and 4 6.5" Focal speakers.Sound was much improved over stock Harmon Kardin, but I was still not over joyed having spent $1,500. Then the "clipping" started. Pete told me to turn off AVC or leave it at only 1 bar. I had it at 1 bar for the rode home. I took the bike out a week later on a long ride and I thought whenever I got the speed over 60 MPH the clipping would start. I called Pete and he was helpful, but he had not heard of this issue with his AMP. We both summarized the issue was something with the head unit. I stopped at HD and they claimed the ACV works with the MPH, not the RPM's. When the bike is not traveling, and I get the RPM's to 2,500 to 3,000 sitting still, no clipping, as soon as the same happened when riding it starts. I noted that when the clipping starts, the volume is half way up and as soon as I lower the volume by i bar, it stops. The clipping is most noticeable using the IPOD, but happens with volume higher when radio is used. Strangely enough, no issue with XM being used.

I know the drill, HD will tell me that since I used aftermarket stuff, there is the issue and has nothing to due with their head unit. In speaking with Pete, he told me the HD head unit only has 1 volt coming out of the IPOD function and he states that changing the head unit to the Sony will make a world of difference. Since he is 3,000 miles from me, I went to my local stereo guru's and they showed me a newer Sony head unit that has a 2 year warranted, the AP feature but more importantly there are 5 volts out of the unit and a very tunable EQ built in. Soooo, after spending $1,500 with Pete, I am now forced to spend another $800 to get the stereo to work correctly!!

You're getting the clipping from the amplifier section of the HK (which is $hit) passed to the Arc/Focals.

For a little over $100. send the HK to Iron Cross Audio for preamp outs, reset the gains, and you should be good to go... Big improvement in Sound Quality. I have sent several HKs to Iron Cross, their turnaround is quick (about 2 days) and they are great to deal with. :2vrolijk_21:

fwiw, the '09 SERG has J&M Rokkers/XTs in the fairing/lowers, Rokker 500w in the fairing, ICA Preamp outs, Clear music at 90+ no clipping anytime! AVC still works normal...
http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »

I have the same motorcycle, with no problems in 8K miles.  Cutting out seems to sound different that clipping.  Wouldn't clipping cause it to sound distorted or would it also cut out?
Do it now!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »

"Clipping" is usually attributed to an under powered (or "dirty") amplifier (whether internal or external) and / or inefficient speakers, and does sound somewhat like it is cutting out, usually at higher volume levels .

The internal amplifier section of the HK is one of the worst, hence the external amps on the HD Boom stuff, but since the Boom (and aftermarket) amps are still being fed a "muddy" signal through the internal amplifier section of the HK there is still potential for clipping.

Preamp outs (bypasses the internal amp section of the HK) and a proper (sufficient to power the speakers that you are running) external amp will cure this.

'Really can't understand what you guys mean when you say "cutting out" is the music cutting in and out totally, or like static? at what volume level(s) does this occur?

When clipping occurs, the music is consistently playing, it just sounds...well..."clipped"

Honneybeast, sorry about the "jack", I guess that I was replying more to Glenncarp :nixweiss:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:21:12 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Glenncarp

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »

"Clipping" is usually attributed to an under powered (or "dirty") amplifier (whether internal or external) and / or inefficient speakers, and does sound somewhat like it is cutting out, usually at higher volume levels .

The internal amplifier section of the HK is one of the worst, hence the external amps on the HD Boom stuff, but since the Boom (and aftermarket) amps are still being fed a "muddy" signal through the internal amplifier section of the HK there is still potential for clipping.

Preamp outs (bypasses the internal amp section of the HK) and a proper (sufficient to power the speakers that you are running) external amp will cure this.

'Really can't understand what you guys mean when you say "cutting out" is the music cutting in and out totally, or like static? at what volume level(s) does this occur?

When clipping occurs, the music is consistently playing, it just sounds...well..."clipped"

Honneybeast, sorry about the "jack", I guess that I was replying more to Glenncarp :nixweiss:

Mine is a total lack of music for a split second, then back on, off and on until the volume is turned down.

I looked up the Iron Cross idea, Great info and relatively low cost fix. I am really undecided on the way to go right now. To take the HK head unit out of the bike and ship it to NJ, then pay $115 plus tax, probably $50 in shipping both ways, then if I can not figure out the new wiring (I have minimal skills in electronic wiring) so add three hours shop time for my stereo guys and the cost is now near $400. I am debating going with a Sony head unit. I know I will lose the CB and intercom which in three years of owning the bike, I have never used. I will also loose the GPS interrupt, but rather than have my music interrupted, I mute the GPS anyway. so I gusset I am seeing if trading these features for a 5 Amp output, a really adjustable EQ, a neat display and apps like Google Maps on the head unit are worth the trade of f and additional $.

If any one has thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.