Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knock coming out of primary at idle.  (Read 4155 times)

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
Knock coming out of primary at idle.
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »

My 2011 SERGU has developed a Knock that seems to be coming out of primary at idle. Its loud enoughThat others have commennt on it. Do you think the compensator's bolt came loose? How hard is it to remove and install a new bolt with some red locktite on it?  Would that be a good place to start?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Knock coming out of primary at idle.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »

I have the exact same issue. My "knock" is sporadic, my bike is at the dealer now. Just got the new compensator a month ago. They took the entire Tranny apart as well as re checked the compensator and both were good so they are a bit stumped. I have them installing the Hayden chain tensioner in the morning to see if that may be it.
Alan

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »

When I took mine to the dealer about this similar sound they listened and said it was normal. So I told them to pull it apart and if there was nothing wrong I would pay for it.

They pulled the primary completely apart and showed me the compensator and it didn't look bad.  Really, not much wear at all. Sooooo, hanging around thinking I had a big bill to pay I saw the tech take it for a test ride.

A few minutes later they asked me to come listen to it. They started it and I said "yep, that's the sound". Made a racket.

Needless to say they installed a new compensator and tensioner. All under warranty.

Moral of the story, it doesn't take much to make the compensator fail.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »

Sounds like I'll have to pull the primary cover and take a look. While I'm in there I may as well remove the compensator and inspect it. Any one know which after market locking tool is needed for a 2011? There seem to be  a couple of different length's. Is it easier to remove the clutch at the same time? Or just remove the tensioner and pull the chain off?
    Anyone use this bolt locking system?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:21:21 AM by wolverine »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »

There is a lot more that can go wrong with the late model compensator than just a loose bolt, so I wouldn't limit my inspection to checking the bolt.  Read some of the many threads around here on the compensator issues.  To make a long story short, the Harley compensator for late models is a POS that is prone to rapid wear and failure.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rbabos

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »

There is a lot more that can go wrong with the late model compensator than just a loose bolt, so I wouldn't limit my inspection to checking the bolt.  Read some of the many threads around here on the compensator issues.  To make a long story short, the Harley compensator for late models is a POS that is prone to rapid wear and failure.

Jerry
Used to be. There is a solution for that wear thing now from GMR Performance.
Ron

rbabos

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »

Sounds like I'll have to pull the primary cover and take a look. While I'm in there I may as well remove the compensator and inspect it. Any one know which after market locking tool is needed for a 2011? There seem to be  a couple of different length's. Is it easier to remove the clutch at the same time? Or just remove the tensioner and pull the chain off?
    Anyone use this bolt locking system?
Never understood the need for that. If the bolt is clean and the crank bore clean and red loctite used it's a bitch to remove, let alone loosen all by itself from use. Won't work on the 2014 version anyway.
Ron

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:12:36 AM »

Look at the automatic chain adjuster very close when you remove the primary cover. My automatic adjuster was not adjusting and my chain was very loose. I went with the Hayden adjuster and new compensator. No more problems!!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »

well after installing new verision of comp kit including rotor 
I have the dreaded knocking noise as well ...  so I'm pulling the comp kit out  and the GMR oiler ...  and installing the 34 tooth drive spocket kit   ...should be done end of this week
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

las ayas

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »

désolé, je me suis trompé de message.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:40:57 PM by las ayas »
Quatre roues déplacent le corps,

Deux roues déplacent l'âme.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »

Used to be. There is a solution for that wear thing now from GMR Performance.
Ron

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.