Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Not much difference with the Clutch Wiz ?  (Read 7560 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Not much difference with the Clutch Wiz ?
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »

Hey all. I installed my Clutch Wiz and AIM 480 spring today and really can't feel any difference. Looking at the CW site it says I may have to bleed the clutch but it's doubtful on a CVO. Has anyone else had to bleed their system after installing a CW on their hydraulic clutch bike?
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Not much difference with the Clutch Wiz ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »

I just had my clutch beefed up.  Solid and never slips.  I barely noticed any more muscle needed to pull.   No "wiz" in my future.    Again.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:26:36 AM by cvostu »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »

Clutch works just fine. Just doesn't seem any easier to pull which started me down this road in the first place. :confused5:

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:39:14 PM »

maybe you should take it out? :confused5: :nixweiss:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:14:47 AM »

I did the clutch wiz, the 480lb spring and the +1 clutch pack and the lever pull is about the same....but the clutch holds way better. I'm thinking any reduced effort by installing the clutch wiz is cancelled out by needing the heavier spring?

Mike

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »

I did the clutch wiz, the 480lb spring and the +1 clutch pack and the lever pull is about the same....but the clutch holds way better. I'm thinking any reduced effort by installing the clutch wiz is cancelled out by needing the heavier spring?

Mike
I was thinking the same thing but remembered Judy has the same set up as this and her clutch is like squeezing a wet sponge. Effortless.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:16:59 AM »

I went with the heavier spring and the extra plate too.  I had to be told that it would be a harder pull. It's just fine for me and I don't even like spinach.  :P

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:08:21 AM »

Interesting  ???  As Mike stated, with the Wiz and the 480# Clutch Spring I do have an easier pulling clutch.  I would be happier if it pulled easier but that being said it does pull much easier than the stock clutch.  Perhaps it is a RED MC thing....  :apple: :pepper: :apple:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »

No Judy.  It's a green thing.   Called spinach.  :huepfenlol2:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »

Actually it's all colors...  Even Tequila :2vrolijk_21:

The stock pull on a late model CVO is around 16 pounds. Some are lighter some are heavier.

If you add an EVO 480 spring then your pull would be in the low to mid 20's. Add the CW and you will get an average pull around 12. Some are lower but rarely higher than 12. Depending on your motor mods you don't really have to change CVO springs or go to the EVO 480. The SE spring will work so will the EVO 380 spring. Many riders are using their stock spring and are fine. It's all in how you ride.

This all depends on the bike though. Everyone of the darn bikes are just different. This is why I keep saying "average" or "around".

When you install a heaver spring on the clutch you will keep your clutch from slipping even though you can't feel the slip it IS slipping. Any modification to the motor over a stage 1 will add to TQ. Hard shifts are really hard on stock clutch set ups. With a heavier spring you put that TQ to the rear wheel and to the asphalt.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »

Was riding today for the first time with the new setup and got a chirping/squealing from the clutch area for a spit second when releasing the clutch hard when pulling away. No noise at all while shifting when moving, just when taking off. Does the new clutch have to seat or wear in? Also--engagement is now later than before--lever is almost all the way out.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »

You can bleed the hydraulic clutch just like bleeding the brakes. This will reset the clutch lever.

Haven't heard of anyone having a chirp.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »

Actually it's all colors...  Even Tequila :2vrolijk_21:

The stock pull on a late model CVO is around 16 pounds. Some are lighter some are heavier.

If you add an EVO 480 spring then your pull would be in the low to mid 20's. Add the CW and you will get an average pull around 12. Some are lower but rarely higher than 12. Depending on your motor mods you don't really have to change CVO springs or go to the EVO 480. The SE spring will work so will the EVO 380 spring. Many riders are using their stock spring and are fine. It's all in how you ride.

This all depends on the bike though. Everyone of the darn bikes are just different. This is why I keep saying "average" or "around".

When you install a heaver spring on the clutch you will keep your clutch from slipping even though you can't feel the slip it IS slipping. Any modification to the motor over a stage 1 will add to TQ. Hard shifts are really hard on stock clutch set ups. With a heavier spring you put that TQ to the rear wheel and to the asphalt.

Thanks Wiz. You put some perspective on it about the stiffer spring that I thought might come into play. I was hoping for the same results as others but maybe I just have "one of those bikes". I had thought about going back to the stock spring until you put that last paragraph in there about the heavier spring putting the tq to the wheel and the asphalt along with the less slippage factor.

Oh yeah, nothing more done to mine other than a stage 1.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »

There are many variables as to why a stock spring will work on some bikes and not on others. It could be clutch ware or a warped clutch steel and disc. It could be the way you ride or the load if you are always two up or something like me who pulls a trailer.

Heck, it could even be the wrong type of primary oil or lack of oil. All the primary oil should do is cool the clutch. It isn't for lubricating the clutch basket.

My stage II CVO wouldn't work with the CW and a stock clutch. Maybe because I ran and wore out two VPC's before finally giving up. The clutch slipped when the VPC's wore out which really messed up the friction zone. I'm sure it didn't do the clutch plates any good either.

Anyway... each bike must be treated individually. Some will be fine... others can be a real pain. But if you use the Evolution 480 and the CW there will be no doubt. It will work and your lever pull will be less than stock.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »

Why would the clutch need to be bleed.. Unless you cracked a line there is Zero reason to have to bleed it.  The piston moves back and forth every time you use the clutch.  No seeing why anyone would need to bleed it ?
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.