Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire pressure monitors.  (Read 830 times)

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
Tire pressure monitors.
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »

Hello all,   since i am still the new guy asking questions,    What or is anyone doing tire pressure monitors monuted or key chain on their CVO's.

Is it a big deal to worry about or check em before you ride and go...

the world i am coming from ( goldwing)  they were all about  farkels...aka gadets toys etc..    dont see that on the CVO's.   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tire pressure monitors.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »

Can only speak personally here.  I'm not a huge fan of TPMS for motorcycle use.  The system might give me warning of a slow leak ongoing while riding from a puncture.  It won't help me with a sudden blowout.  So it's a coin toss there for types of benefit.

What I'm concerned it might do, however, is that it would work just well enough that I'd become reliant on it when mounting up.  I want to manually check the tires because it's then that I check not just air pressure but actually lay hands on.  Look for bubbles, defects, damage, etc.  Don't want to get out of that habit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tire pressure monitors.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »

I agree with Twolane.  IF you go into it with enough sense to realize a monitor does not replace proper manual inflation and tire condition checks (using a certified accurate gauge, not the sensor data), then they are fine.  However, I see so many clueless people in cars and trucks these days that believe they don't have to check inflation anymore since the manufacturers are required to install TPMS in their cars and light trucks.  WRONG!  TPMS as dictated by the govt regulators only alerts you when tire pressure is 25% or more below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure.  Considering the fact that most manufacturer's specify inflation pressures at the bottom end of the acceptable range to improve ride, that could mean the tires are really 30 or 35% below optimum pressure.  That is unsafe on a four wheeled vehicle, and could be really unsafe on a two wheeled vehicle.

If you are looking at adding a system I'd suggest using one that allows you to set the alert levels and also has a real readout of current pressure.  Then verify the accuracy of the readout by comparing with a known accurate gauge.  And don't stop doing real tire inspections just because you have that whiz bang toy mounted to the bars.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.