Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Disappointed with results???  (Read 3207 times)

horndog10

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire (Purchased 4/18/14) )
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited - Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire (Totaled 3/21/14)
    • CVO3: 2012 CVO Streetglide - Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon (Traded 3/20/14)
Disappointed with results???
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »

I just purchased a 2014 CVO Limited and had my dealer install a Jackpot 2-1-2 headpipe, crossover pipe, Vance & Hines High Output mufflers and Ventilator AC with a SEPST tuner.  I am just getting over a broken leg from a crash last month so I was not able to be at the dealer when the bike was tuned on the dyno.  Again, due to my injury, the dealer agreed to deliver the bike, and after they dropped the bike off today, I was going through the papers and found the dyno results.  Baseline was 81.48 HP and 98.11 Torque.  Final pull was 87.56 HP and 104.75 Torque. 

Maybe I am just not in the loop, but it sure seems that these results are anemic for the amount of $'s spent and equipment changed. I tried to get in touch with the technician who tuned the bike, but he is off on Sunday and Monday.  He has 15 years of experience and he personally handles all of their dyno / tuning work.  He did not install any of the parts; this was handled by a different technician.

One thing I thought was strange, and don't know if it would have any impact, but when they installed the Ventilator AC, they actually put the rain sock over the filter, then put the cover over the sock, so it is now trapped inside and can not be removed unless you take the 6 screws out of the air cleaner cover.  I had been told previously that these rain socks dramatically reduced air flow and should only be used in an extreme (wet) situation as it would affect performance.  Does anyone know if this would affect the tuning results?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you want to live life by your own terms, you've got to be willing to crash and burn.... N. Sixx

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Disappointed with results???
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »

The rain sock doesn't add much restriction, and the air cleaner isn't likely to be the limiting factor in flow through the engine.  Mounting the rain sock under the cover is a practice that many owners have embraced, rather than have to carry it around and install it whenever they think it might rain.  It also helps keep light finger Louie's from borrowing the sock.  Btw, the bike comes stock with the Ventilator air cleaner, so I don't understand why you would think changing it to another version of the Ventilator would increase output.  I haven't seen any evidence from anyone that the "Extreme Billet" Ventilator air cleaner actually does anything to improve performance on an otherwise stock engine. :nixweiss:

Your results aren't all that unusual after what is basically just replacing the exhaust system.  What exactly were you expecting, and what discussions did you have with the dealership before you had them do this?  And how many miles/hours are on the engine?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »

This is about right for a virtually stock bike.  :nixweiss:  They are not that powerful. All these happy dyno results that you read on this forum are way inflated some how.  How can a bike with a pipe and air cleaner make 120/120??  total BS.  You have the true numbers, so don't be stressed out over it.  You may get a "honest"  120/120  from the 110 after some serious engine mods, and not just a pipe, filter and some very happy dyno guy.  And a difference between a "good" tune and a "great" tune is just a few points. So you may gain a few HP and TRQ numbers with a re tune, but not that much more.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:17 AM »

Take off the rain sock, you may get a couple hp / tq.  Seems to be close to where it should be.  IIRC mine was 95 / 108 area with Fullsac X pipe and 2" cores.  If you think that wasn't a lot of bang for the buck wait til you go after the next 6 hp / 6 tq.  Wait til your mended and can compare how it rides to you other bike.  Damn dyno sheets can help you spend a lot of money. 

JW

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »

I do not want to start something but why does the baseline run come from 11/19/2013 and the after run come from 4/25/2014 if you just purchased the bike? I could expect to see a few days between maybe, but, that's a long time between runs. As for the bike not sure about the air cleaner change as Jerry stated it comes stock with a ventilator on it. So what you really did is add and exhaust and get it tuned for a gain of 6hp and 6 torque.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Timusa

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Deep Sherwood Pearl 2014 FLHRSE6
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »

Everything seems very strange – from replacing the AC with the same one (WHY?) to, as Steve mentioned, time difference between dyno runs.
Performance gain just from replacing the stock headers (with cat in) with FM X-pipe should be greater.
The rain sock, in my experience, IS restrictive. I carry it with me and put it on only in HEAVY rain.

horndog10

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire (Purchased 4/18/14) )
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited - Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire (Totaled 3/21/14)
    • CVO3: 2012 CVO Streetglide - Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon (Traded 3/20/14)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

I left out a paragraph on my original post by mistake.  My disappointment comes from my 2012 CVO Streetglides results while in Sturgis in 2013.  I had true duals, crusher mufflers and a Mach V air cleaner with a TTS Mastertune installed at Black Hills HD.  Those dyno results showed a baseline of 79.88 / 90.33  with a final of 95.88 / 115.35.  The bike had 25,500 miles on it at the time of the install.

To answer the questions:

I did not think there was a difference between the ventilator air cleaners - just wanted to make sure I listed the equipment that was on the bike when tested.  The air cleaner was changed to the Extreme Billet Ventilator as the original (OEM) ventilator was damaged so I paid the difference between the two.

I was not expecting 120 / 120.  I was thinking more in lines of 95 / 115...

The bike is brand new.  Had 1 mile prior to the dyno time and 86 when delivered.

The service manager called today to let me know the mechanic who did the tune would not be in until Tuesday.  When I asked about the discrepancy between the dates of the pulls, he said there practice was to take a generic pull from every model, every year to use as a baseline.  He said they had stopped the practice of doing a pre-install dyno run as they would have to hook up the bike, test it, then let it cool off, put on the new parts, then test again.  Since they only have one mechanic who does the tuning, it made more sense to them to handle it this way.

Thanks to all for the responses - VERY much appreciated....

Scott

If you want to live life by your own terms, you've got to be willing to crash and burn.... N. Sixx

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:07:32 PM »

I can understand them wanting to use a generic run for a baseline but I have seen way too many HD's over the years make way to many different baseline numbers to do it. What happens if your bike really only made 75.48 and 92.11 torque? Now you would have made 12 and 12 with the exhaust and tune which is more inline/expected. Better yet, if they saw it only make 75 and would have stopped there to find out why it was low to start with!

At this point I would ride it and get a few hundred miles on it then take it back for a follow up. All the while keeping in touch with the service guy. That way they know you feel there is a problem but getting a few miles on a fresh engine is a good thing.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »

Here's one for comparison. This is my brother's bike. CVO limited edition. Fullsac DX with 1-1/2" cores and TTS.
Looks to me like yours came up a little short. This bike was tuned by an Indy and not by a dealer. Don't know if that's the difference but is par for the course around here in DFW.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »

Just remember that different dynos give different results. So take all the numbers you as an average.

My stock 2011 110" with true duals and the high outputs made 89 HP, 108 TQ. But remember that was on a dyno in High Ridge, MO by one dyno guy on one particular day.

With all that said, your numbers are right on for a stock bike with exhaust.

Ride it and enjoy! :2vrolijk_21:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »

Just remember that different dynos give different results. So take all the numbers you as an average.

My stock 2011 110" with true duals and the high outputs made 89 HP, 108 TQ. But remember that was on a dyno in High Ridge, MO by one dyno guy on one particular day.

With all that said, your numbers are right on for a stock bike with exhaust.

Ride it and enjoy! :2vrolijk_21:

100% agree. To get these crazy high numbers that are thrown around here you will need to spend 5 to 7 grand on your engine. Then maybe you will push close to 120/120  To many very happy dynos on here. Drives me totally crazy.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

High numbers ain't where it's at. It's where the peaks are and shape of the curves. IMO the op's tune is not as good as it should be. I know he has different exhaust and tuner but the engine is still a 110 with stock 255 cams. His torque should peak before 3800rpm. Again JMO

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »

High numbers ain't where it's at. It's where the peaks are and shape of the curves. IMO the op's tune is not as good as it should be. I know he has different exhaust and tuner but the engine is still a 110 with stock 255 cams. His torque should peak before 3800rpm. Again JMO

I agree.  That doesn't look like a 255 curve.  Even the "baseline" is soft on the bottom.  The sheet you posted looks like a 255 curve.

MOBEAH

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2014 Ruby/Burgandy Ultra Limited
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

I just put a set of Rienhart 4" mufflers, SE tuner and everything else is a stock 2014 CVO Limited, I had it dyno'd and the results were 99.8 HP 120.7 Ft pounds, I wanted the SE Billet Ventilator AC, (more for looks) I know I already have one on the bike but was told it would not fit that it would hit the tank, I have approx 1800 miles on the bike
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:50:37 PM by MOBEAH »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »

I just put a set of Rienhart 4" mufflers, SE tuner and everything else is a stock 2014 CVO Limited, I had it dyno'd and the results were 99.8 HP 120.7 Ft pounds, I wanted the SE Billet Ventilator AC, (more for looks) I know I already have one on the bike but was told it would not fit that it would hit the tank, I have approx 1800 miles on the bike

I certainly hope you don't really believe the numbers on your dyno chart.  No mufflers on this planet will make a twenty percent improvement, unless there is a turbocharger attached to them.  "Happy dyno" doesn't begin to describe that result.

As for what you were told about the "Billet" Ventilator hitting the tank, that is equally untrue.  Don't listen to idiots in dealerships, look it up for yourself on the Harley accessory website.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/extreme-billet-ventilator-air-cleaner-kit

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:43:38 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.