Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lady Riders, What Made You Get Your Own Bike, and When Did You Start Riding?  (Read 4023 times)

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member

Just wondering, When you started riding and WHY you wanted to ride your own bike?

OK, I started riding as a kid, mini bikes, I had 2 older bro's and our family was always into some kind of motorsport weather it was minibikes, 4 wheelers, boats, or horses.  When I grew up it never ended, my first motorcycle was a 70ish? Honda Star, nice little bike to take my road test on but it was a gutless wonder maybe 175cc :duhk:, I sold that and got a 80ish? 440 Kawasaki LTD, loved that bike, but sold it to get a real horse, and that ended my bike riding for quite a while, the horse (Fancy Dancer 1/2 Arabian mare) :beatdeadhorse: took all my spare time and money.  In 2004 I got a Yamaha 650 V-Star, another gutless wonder :thumbdown: :thumbdown:, my EX hated Harleys, :furious3:  he was too cheap to buy one, he always said they were too loud, they always broke down, they all leaked oil  :nervous: , all our friends had Harleys, and I ALWAYS wanted one, he was just too cheap to buy one, Well........ in November 2004, I left Cheapass, :vrolijk_30: moved out and sold the Yamaha  :bananarock: I was 54 then, I figured my riding days were over, I was all set to spend the rest of my life living alone, I was moderating a car website forum because I have a 71 Pink Challenger, my job was to keep the members in line, one day a new guy joined.....Randy AKA.... DaBigNuttedMan, the Administrator told me to keep an eye on him, he might be trouble with a name like that... :zroflmao: .  One day this new guy sent me a PM just saying hello and waving at me from California :vrolijk17:, I answered and said hello back  :vrolijk17:, then we started talking on the phone :love:...... I figured it was safe cause he lived in California..... and I lived in Western New York.  We talked for 7 months, then he wanted to meet me so he flew to NY to meet me :nixweiss:  and.... CrAsH BoOm BaNg...We fell in Love :smitten:, he was a Harley guy, single, never been married.... :2vrolijk_21:, how could I go wrong?  :-* We took turns flying back and forth for another 8 months, long story short, we now live in Indy.  Randy got his CVO Road Glide in 2011, I rode on the back for a while but got tired of looking at the back of his head :2cr_01:  or trying to look around his head to see if a curve was coming...So I was looking at trikes at a dealership :idea3:, I figured I could handle one of those, I'm 63 now, and my balance isn't as good as it used to be :nixweiss: , I found my trike, it was on Craigslist, I went and looked at it, and  :smitten: Fell in love...it was a creampuff, I LOVE the trike, it's so easy to ride, It's a 2004 FLHTCUI with a Lehman trike kit, Randy did lots of stuff to the motor last fall, he can tell you all about all that.  I'm back riding again on my own steel horse, and I just love it, and I now own a HARLEY :pepper: :apple:, I named him Fabeo, and I love it....

OK Ladies, lets hear your story.......
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:44:41 PM by PinkE »
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member

No girl riders out there?  You don't have to tell your life story like I did, just how you got started riding, I also forgot to ad my snowmobile riding, started at 10 yrs old, and quit in 2006 when I left the WNY snowbelt, that was some fun, I miss it. 

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8

Great story Sue!   :2vrolijk_21:

Mine is similar.  When I was 10, I was offered a bicycle but I didn't want a bike, I wanted that mini-bike the kid down the road had for sale.  My Dad said that I had to come up with the $50 dollars on my own to purchase it.   :-\.  I set up a Kool aid stand on the sidewalk in front of my house.  When no one stopped, I decided to take the "product to them!   ::).  I got my easy bake oven that was on wheels and put my Kool aid and one cup (yep, one cup.  I guess I thought they could stand in their doorway, drink it and I would take the cup back to be reused.  Never gave it a thought that this was considered unsanitary.  :o) and I went door to door.  Everyone bought but no one drank it in front of me.  I'm sure the sink was grateful.  With my one cup in tow, I went door to door.  I earned my $50 and bought the mini bike.  I still have the scars on my legs from the muffler burns.

The next few years I owned a Honda 50 and a Yamaha 100.  I eventually had saved enough to buy my Yamaha 650 V-Star.  After a couple of years I traded that for my '07 Harley, Soft tail Deluxe.  My first Harley and the love of my life!   After 2 yrs I traded that for my first bagger a 2009 Street Glide.  I loved this MC and dropped a lot money on her in aftermarket parts.  At 9,000 miles I was rear ended and my baby was totaled.   >:(.  Before insurance was settled I ordered my CVO Street Glide in 2012.  That is my current ride and I love this MC.  :apple: :pepper: :apple:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member

Great story Judy, I remember when I got my first job at 16, my first paycheck I put away, and the next, and the next till I had enough to get a Rupp Roadster, my dad and I both bought a new one, $500.00 each, they were beautiful, when we got home my older bro wanted to ride mine, I said no way, I haven't even ridden it yet, he grabbed it and took off on it, at the end of the driveway he dumped it, the bike went one way, and him another, I ran to my bike to see if there were any scratches on it and he was mad, he said you are more worried about your mini bike than me, I said Yep, and don't EVER get on it again.  That was many many years ago, but I will never forget that Rupp, mine was Red, my dads was blue, they had headlights and mirrors....Randy bought a Rupp Roadster a few years ago and it's in our garage, every time I look at it, I remember back when I was a terror on mine.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv

your stories are similar to my wife's. when we met I was into sport bikes, 78 kz 1000 with almost 4g's in motor. I taught her to ride it,but she was intimidated by the power & speed. after many debates between wife, daughter & mother (after dad passed away. we all rode, whole family) on who was crawling on the back of my H-D heritage, my wife started looking & getting the itch. she fell in love with a pearl white 650 v-star silverado 04. in 06 I gave her an early 25 yr anniversary with 07 H-D deluxe. pearl white/cobalt blue. she's been looking at sg's, test rode a couple. just doesn't want to spend the difference in money yet. hearing your stories, must be something with the v-star as a starter bike. hope we all get to mee someday at GTG.   RIDE SAFE ladies. BE CAREFUL !     GOD BLESS!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member

Great story, those VStars are a nice starter bike, I have to admit, glad to hear we have another lady who rides, we will be at Maggie Valley this year, I hope to meet a lot of members there, and I know there are a lot of ladies attending riding their own bikes, that's why I started this thread, hoping to get to know some of the girls, and guys, anyone is welcome to chime in on this topic...Thanks....Sue

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

asked my wife what she wanted for our 10 wedding anniversary  a new diamond or a Harley  she said a Harley , she been my best riding buddy now for 21 years and still riding strong....

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member

Good choice..... :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

I've rode all of my life and I've known many women that ride.  The two best women riders that I've ever rode with (better riders than many men that I've rode with!) both happen to be members of this forum and I hope they post their story in this thread.  :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:45:29 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG

My wife was never around bikes at all before she met a social outcast who had two Harleys. Before long she was riding a little 125 around my folks place when we went there for visits. She did a little riding on my old shovelhead, and I mean a very little.

Fast forward 30 years, we went over to the Harley Dealer to sign up for an Annual Run that we always took part in, as I start to fill out the paperwork for the run she makes the statement, “boy, I really like that black Sportster over there”, my reply “well if you like it, buy it”. I finish up the paperwork and look around a little as we walk out we go past the Sportster, she says “humm look at that Sportster”. Me “Oh the one with the sold sign on it?” Her “Yep, we pick it up tomorrow after you take for a test ride”. I damn near fell over  :o

She tells anyone who asks her why she started riding and her response is normally “ well… I was about to turn 50 and had ridden behind him for over 30 years and I guess I just got sick of the back of his head and I wanted to see the scenery first hand”

Paulsmerc

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2010 Fatbob & 2005 Deluxe

My wife was always on the back seat until she was 50 (6 year's ago) when one day she said I fancy getting a bike of my own, she now rides her own bikes, she has a 650 Suzuki Savage and a Yamaha 535 both customized and she loves them both. I did try to get her on a Harley but she finds them too heavy and tall as she is only 5 foot tall herself.

Paulsmerc

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2010 Fatbob & 2005 Deluxe

here is the other one

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower

here is the other one
I think it's pretty cool that she'd take the customizing that far.  :2vrolijk_21:
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

hogable

After years of riding on the back, I wanted to go faster, and make that bike lean into the corners myself!  At age 38 (1985) I bought my first motorcycle, an 84-1/2 FXRS, the first year of the Evolution motor.  Well actually, 1985 was the first year the Evo was put into production bikes.  I bought one of two prototype bikes the factory put together for CHP before they went back to Harleys in the mid 80's.  (The first one was crashed during CHP's testing.)  The FXRP was stripped of all it's lights, fairing, and black box, seat, handlebars, etc., and an FXRS was created.  It had 6,000 fast test track miles on it when I bought it.  I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, went out on the levee road and taught myself how to ride.  I rode that bike for 20 years.  18 of those years were ridden as bone stock with the original crossover exhaust.  Then I had some major modifications done to the motor and it finally ran like I always thought it should have.  What a great bike!

At 66, I now ride an '04 FXDS, also with major motor modifications, and one of the last carbureted motors from the factory.  (I'm old fashioned.)  I ride the Three Flags Classic Run from Mexico to Canada, or vice versa, in four days.  They are 12-hour, 600-mile days with one designated checkpoint daily, no highway miles, all back roads.  The run is limited to 350 riders and you never see any of them until the evening stop at some motel along the way.  What a blast!

Like the old bumper sticker used to say, "Put Something Exciting Between Your Legs"...

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG

Great Story Hogable!

I will have to look up that run as it sounds like a gas!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.