Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Which style of headers to use for best results?  (Read 16690 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Which style of headers to use for best results?
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2007, 08:12:45 AM »

OK,

My thought process over the last couple of weeks has confused me even, but here is a summary.

1) I had NO desire to spend ANYTHING else on my bike until Joining this site. My wife thanks you guys. NOT!

2) I want to have my bike tuned.

3) If I'm going to have my bike tuned, I need more air on the intake.

4) If I'm going to have it tuned, and increase air, I want to change the exhaust, 2:1, true duals, etc.

5) If I'm going to tune the bike, I will need a Power commander, or a SERT or XYZ. I decided a week or more ago, from reading on this site, Use whichever system your tuner is most comfortable with.

As of last Friday here's where I was:

Although I trust my dealer and I think he's got a great mechanic, he does not have a Dyno.  I heard of a fellow in North mississippi, just south of Memphis, that owns a performance shop and has a Dyno. I gave him a call and he recommends the following.

1) Power commander. He claims he almost knows what to do before he even starts, Dyno time, cost of the power commander, Installed ready to go is $625, reasonable enough. He almost refuses to tune a SERT because of the Dyno time involved. He claims Dyno time could be as much as $1500 plus the cost of the SERT. YIKES!

2) K&N high flow air filter

3) 2:1 Thunder Header or whatever exhaust I'd want. He claims more HP and torque from this set up.

I wasn't convinced on the Thunderheader. I want the bike to sound like a Harley, but, not so loud it drives people nuts. I want to keep my neighbors happy too. Hoist gave me a call Friday night, and he says the same thing. Even though he talks faster than I can think I agree with him. HP and torque isn't ALL we're interested in. This is a tour bike, I want to be able to hear the radio. Although I liked what this guy from Mississippi had to say, I decided to think on it. I went to the Easy rider show in Memphis Saturday, and decided to see what I find there.

I went by Memphis Bumpus HD before the show Saturday. I didn't buy my bike from them, so, I'm a little cautious of expecting a dealer to welcome me with open arms.  I talked with a Brent Nichols of Memphis HD and I've never been treated as graciously in my life. He bent over backwards giving me advice and helping me. After talking with them I've decided to use them as my tuner. SO, here's where I'm at today.

1) Use Bumpus of HD. They use the HD SERT. The cost of the SERT and Dyno time is a little higher than the other guy with a PC but, I think i'd rather use a certified HD shop.

2) I've already got V&H slip ons. I'll order V&H pipes and use my slip-ons.

3) K&N Air filter.

Now, I've got one more decision. While I'm going to the expense of tuning, Dyno time, and traveling to Memphis (150 miles) Should I go ahead and install 575 cams now? I feel that sooner or later, I'll want to do that. WHY not go ahead and do it all at once. The expense is going to be there, either now or later. Why not go ahead and enjoy it now? But then again, How much HP and torque do I need? Would cams, if done right, lead to down time, , maintenance issues, and breaking down on the side of the road? If so, I don't want to do it. I will say, there was a 04 or 05 yellow SEEG there and it sounded AWESOME. Someone make up my mind for me.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »

Now, I've got one more decision. While I'm going to the expense of tuning, Dyno time, and traveling to Memphis (150 miles) Should I go ahead and install 575 cams now? I feel that sooner or later, I'll want to do that. WHY not go ahead and do it all at once. The expense is going to be there, either now or later. Why not go ahead and enjoy it now? But then again, How much HP and torque do I need? Would cams, if done right, lead to down time, , maintenance issues, and breaking down on the side of the road? If so, I don't want to do it. I will say, there was a 04 or 05 yellow SEEG there and it sounded AWESOME. Someone make up my mind for me.

The 575 cams were designed specifically for the 103 motor that came in the CVO's. I would not use these cams in a 110ci motor. If it were me I'd wait until cams were designed for my motor (which should be coming soon). If you get the right cams designed for your motor you will increase HP/TQ and still maintain a "rideable" bike. Unless you ride "wide open throttle" a lot you will want a cam that gives you TQ over HP, and you want the TQ to come in as soon as possible and carry throughout the RPM range.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2007, 08:31:53 AM »

The 575 cams were designed specifically for the 103 motor that came in the CVO's. I would not use these cams in a 110ci motor. If it were me I'd wait until cams were designed for my motor (which should be coming soon). If you get the right cams designed for your motor you will increase HP/TQ and still maintain a "rideable" bike. Unless you ride "wide open throttle" a lot you will want a cam that gives you TQ over HP, and you want the TQ to come in as soon as possible and carry throughout the RPM range.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I didn't know that dood. I figured they had cams designed for the 110 already. Learned something new. I'll run that by the HD dealer in Memphis. Thanks. Now, I'm trying to read the last 40 posts, LOL

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2007, 09:20:01 AM »

Man I thought you made up your mind already HB. It's fun watching you go thru this. I did the same thing for a couple of months too! You got it right now. Pick a tuner; use what he's good with; do intake, exhaust and ECM mod; and hold off on the cams for a little while! This should do you just fine for awhile! I'm sure we'll go thru it again when different cams become available! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2007, 09:29:40 AM »

HB....give Zippers a call and see if they have, or are near having, a bolt in cam for the 110.  I would bet they are not too far from having one developed for the new motors.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2007, 09:36:03 AM »

I didn't know that dood. I figured they had cams designed for the 110 already. Learned something new. I'll run that by the HD dealer in Memphis. Thanks. Now, I'm trying to read the last 40 posts, LOL
I think once you get good exhaust, good breather/intake, and a good tune (SERT/PC/Whatever) you will be happy w/the way your bike runs. It will sound like a Harley, and run better then any Harley you've probably ever had before. In regards to changing cams I would wait and let some more R&D be done on what's the best cam for your motor. It took Zippers and Freedoms several years before they had something that was a bolt-in cam designed specifically for the 103ci motors. The only cost savings w/doing the cams along w/the mods you planning on doing would be in the dyno time, but because this motor is so new there may be better cams coming out in the future. If this happens then you may want to do cams again, so you haven't really saved anything.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »

I think once you get good exhaust, good breather/intake, and a good tune (SERT/PC/Whatever) you will be happy w/the way your bike runs. It will sound like a Harley, and run better then any Harley you've probably ever had before. In regards to changing cams I would wait and let some more R&D be done on what's the best cam for your motor. It took Zippers and Freedoms several years before they had something that was a bolt-in cam designed specifically for the 103ci motors. The only cost savings w/doing the cams along w/the mods you planning on doing would be in the dyno time, but because this motor is so new there may be better cams coming out in the future. If this happens then you may want to do cams again, so you haven't really saved anything.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
d00d,
Sound advice.  I was thinking the same thing.  The 110's hit the world by surprise (still don't know how Harley does that, the folks "on the Hill" could take a lesson from them), and the aftermarket folks are trying to catch up.  I would venture to guess now that most, if not all, of the aftermarket manufacturers have gotten their hands on some 110's that we'll be seeing 110 specific stuff coming out.  My opinion, for what it's worth HB, is do the exhaust mods (AC, SERT or whatever, and pipes) to get that 110 running cooler and let that motor breathe a little better.  I'm going to hold off on cams for now.  The noticeable difference of this 110 the way I have it, over the old 88, is immense, and I'm very happy with the performance.  Just my $.02
Cheers 8),
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »

Man I thought you made up your mind already HB. It's fun watching you go thru this. I did the same thing for a couple of months too! You got it right now. Pick a tuner; use what he's good with; do intake, exhaust and ECM mod; and hold off on the cams for a little while! This should do you just fine for awhile! I'm sure we'll go thru it again when different cams become available! ;) Hoist! 8)

Ain't nuthin funny about it! My wife is tired of hearing about it, and she gives me "THE LOOK" whenever I just mention it anymore. I've changed my mind again since this morning. Bumpus HD at memphis were the nicest folks I'd ever met Saturday. I had made up my mind to let them do the work. Today I talked to KyHarleyDude and his people at 4 Rivers HD (I'm going to brag since I know they'll see this). They were also very friendly and They have a dyno, which I didn't know. They're 30 miles away from me versus 150. The thing is, they recommend the power commander instead of the SERT. SHrugs, makes me no never mind. PLUS I bet I'll only have to pay KyHarleyDude MSRP for the dyno tune. I Going to try to get him to throw in a T-Shirt too.

I'm doing Power Commander, Using my V&H slip ons on new V&H pipes. Displacing air gave me a free Zipper A/C for free. I looked all around but couldn't find one any cheaper so I took him up on it. WHERE can I go wrong?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Ain't nuthin funny about it! My wife is tired of hearing about it, and she gives me "THE LOOK" whenever I just mention it anymore. I've changed my mind again since this morning. Bumpus HD at memphis were the nicest folks I'd ever met Saturday. I had made up my mind to let them do the work. Today I talked to KyHarleyDude and his people at 4 Rivers HD (I'm going to brag since I know they'll see this). They were also very friendly and They have a dyno, which I didn't know. They're 30 miles away from me versus 150. The thing is, they recommend the power commander instead of the SERT. SHrugs, makes me no never mind. PLUS I bet I'll only have to pay KyHarleyDude MSRP for the dyno tune. I Going to try to get him to throw in a T-Shirt too.

I'm doing Power Commander, Using my V&H slip ons on new V&H pipes. Displacing air gave me a free Zipper A/C for free. I looked all around but couldn't find one any cheaper so I took him up on it. WHERE can I go wrong?

HB, you can't go wrong. Just make sure you pick someone you trust and stick with that guy. If he uses SERT, you'll use SERT. If you go to KHD's shop, and they're good with the PC, use that. Pick a tuner, then use his product. Period! You've got a good intake and exhaust. Just have them change you to the TD's with your V&H Slip-ons, install the Zippers open A/C assembly and have it tuned for that stuff. You'll be good to go! THen your wife won't have to hear it anymore! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:51 PM »

HB...you can't go wrong with the PCIII or the SERT..both will get the job done.  The dude at Bumpus is a wizard tuner, I do know that much.

Do you have the SE Backplate for the filter?  I have a used setup (7 months old) if you're interested.  It ain't free, but it'd be cheap enough.  You really need this if you're still running the stock backplate, whether you get it new or whatever.

TTS Mastertune

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »

HB, you can't go wrong. Just make sure you pick someone you trust and stick with that guy. If he uses SERT, you'll use SERT. If you go to KHD's shop, and they're good with the PC, use that. Pick a tuner, then use his product. Period! You've got a good intake and exhaust. Just have them change you to the TD's with your V&H Slip-ons, install the Zippers open A/C assembly and have it tuned for that stuff. You'll be good to go! THen your wife won't have to hear it anymore! ;) Hoist! 8)

I totally agree Hoist, then RIDE THE BITCH! right? I'm all but there. The decisions are made. No more talk. I'll wait on cams till later if ever.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »

HB...you can't go wrong with the PCIII or the SERT..both will get the job done.  The dude at Bumpus is a wizard tuner, I do know that much.

Do you have the SE Backplate for the filter?  I have a used setup (7 months old) if you're interested.  It ain't free, but it'd be cheap enough.  You really need this if you're still running the stock backplate, whether you get it new or whatever.

Thanks for the offer TNnBham!! I've already got the backplate though!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2007, 03:40:20 PM »

HB....give Zippers a call and see if they have, or are near having, a bolt in cam for the 110.  I would bet they are not too far from having one developed for the new motors.

I am taking a "wait and see attitude" about that right now. It gives me something else to look forward to.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »

I am taking a "wait and see attitude" about that right now. It gives me something else to look forward to.

Doing this stuff in stages is not a bad idea, IMO.  You do something that makes a pretty nice improvement according to your ass dyno, then in a few months, when your ass has gotten used to that, do something else and get another rush...

TTS Mastertune

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2007, 05:13:33 PM »

Doing this stuff in stages is not a bad idea, IMO.  You do something that makes a pretty nice improvement according to your ass dyno, then in a few months, when your ass has gotten used to that, do something else and get another rush...
Then you put in cams, then turbo it, then finally, you trade it in for a Boss Hoss with the 500 ci V-8 in it.  We are sick puppies, you know that? :-*  But I wouldn't have it any other way. 8)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 24 queries.