Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Riding At 160 MPH On Highways. How Does It Feel?  (Read 7015 times)

dicko

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
    • NV

Re: Riding At 160 MPH On Highways. How Does It Feel?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »

Last year just outside of Searchlight, NV, Harry Reid's home town, my wife and I were riding along and not paying attention to anything.  The road is wide and straight and the weather was fine and we were just yaking on the intercom when the cop pulled me over.  He had clocked me at 92 MPH in a 60 MPH zone. 
I figured that life as I knew it was over.  My CDL would betoast and I'd probably pay very dearly.  Naturally, I was super polite to the cop.
I guess it paid off because when he came back from his car with the ticket he said he was charging me with "Driving at a non-urban speed" and that it was not classified as a moving violation!
"Huh?" I said.  "How can you do that?"
He smiled and said he'd change it if I wanted and I assured him that was not necessary.
So, we went along our way, slowly, and on Monday I called the court and posted a $45 payment with a credit card and that was the end of it. 
I can't explain it but I think a miracle happened.  I ride and drive more carefully now.
     -Dick-

-Dick-
2014 CVO Limited
Fullsac Stage I

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »

No need for the cops to be looking for that guy, eventually the coroner can just shovel him into a bag. The way people drive nowadays playing with phones and such, all it takes is one person to swerve over in front of him and he's done, that guy is crazy.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 01:42:38 AM »

Last year just outside of Searchlight, NV, Harry Reid's home town, my wife and I were riding along and not paying attention to anything.  The road is wide and straight and the weather was fine and we were just yaking on the intercom when the cop pulled me over.  He had clocked me at 92 MPH in a 60 MPH zone. 
I figured that life as I knew it was over.  My CDL would betoast and I'd probably pay very dearly.  Naturally, I was super polite to the cop.
I guess it paid off because when he came back from his car with the ticket he said he was charging me with "Driving at a non-urban speed" and that it was not classified as a moving violation!
"Huh?" I said.  "How can you do that?"
He smiled and said he'd change it if I wanted and I assured him that was not necessary.
So, we went along our way, slowly, and on Monday I called the court and posted a $45 payment with a credit card and that was the end of it. 
I can't explain it but I think a miracle happened.  I ride and drive more carefully now.
     -Dick-

Nice, that was your lucky day! I worry about the same thing you do every time I ride this new bike because it begs to be twisted.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »

No need for the cops to be looking for that guy, eventually the coroner can just shovel him into a bag. The way people drive nowadays playing with phones and such, all it takes is one person to swerve over in front of him and he's done, that guy is crazy.
Yes. He will follow (and look just like) this Darwin winner

Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »

Yes. He will follow (and look just like) this Darwin winner

How did he die with that helmet on?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »

How did he die with that helmet on?

very very quickly

2010FLHTCUSE5

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »

very very quickly

Best way to go.  :2vrolijk_21:

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »

Reportedly @120mph

2010FLHTCUSE5

Helomech74

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »

When I was living in Germany back in 2001-03 time frame I used to take my GSXR1300 on the autobahn at speeds well in excess of 180-190mph.  Big difference over there is that people actually move out of the way and stay out of the left lane unless they are passing.  In 2009 I was privileged enough to run a couple of un-timed test laps at the Isle of Mann TT on a Yamaha R1 and that was most intense riding I've ever done.  I don't think I'll ever attempt anything like that again, I prefer the much slower and chilled pace of a cruiser now.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »

Reportedly @120mph

Was there an equal amount of body parts spread around?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »

It's amazing that MANY of us are still alive, given all the stupid chit so many of us have done!

Ken

Amen to that.

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »

Comon, we all want to go fast.  Otherwise we would have a skate board, a horse, or a bicycle.  Well I do have a bicycle for exercise, or for looks.  Even my bike wants to go fast, I can tell   ;D
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

It's still not a ride till you hit 100, but at least I have grown up enough to be picky about where that happens. As we have all said its amazing we lived through our young day, and I am sure every stupid stunt we pulled there was someone older, wiser, and was lucky enough to still be around to tell the story's saying the exact same things we are saying now to his friends.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »

Hate to admit to doing a lot of dumb things but there were 4 of us that used to stand on our seats and hold our arms out and see who cold go the longest without jumping back down on their seat. We did this on interstate 75 through Dayton Ohio.  We also used to bump handle bars at highway speeds. All this was with no helmets or brains lol.
That is how Indian Larry died. He had done this many times for years but didn't stop doing it so one time it cost him his life.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »

That is how Indian Larry died. He had done this many times for years but didn't stop doing it so one time it cost him his life.

My wife Sheila and Indian Larry a few weeks before he died performing that stunt...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.