Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: D404F on my 2007 SE Road King "right or wrong*  (Read 1449 times)

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
D404F on my 2007 SE Road King "right or wrong*
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »

Hi all,
Just had a new front tire fitted, my independant tire fitter supplied a Dunlop D404F, saying it was the latest replacement for the D407/8F saying it was a good match for the D407 on the rear, rode the bike home and it seems fine, but a friend said to check the Dunlop website as he had his doubts, and on that it states " the D404F is not for use on Harley Davidson`s".
Anyone out there used this tire, if so any comments to make?
WHUFC   COYI

Slick1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Re: D404F on my 2007 SE Road King "right or wrong*
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »

Haven't used that one i switched from Dunlop to Michelin Commander II i love these tires bike handles better and they seem to last longer.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »

Why would you ask that question?  The manufacturer of the tire says it isn't to be used on a Harley, case closed.  Print out the information from Dunlop, take it back to that guy who sold you the wrong tire, and tell him to put on the right tire.

Asking anonymous folks on the internet if it will be OK to ignore a warning from the people who actually make the tire doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Jerry

Btw, you do realize the bike came with radials (130/70R18 63H), right?  What he sold you is one of the cheapest bias ply tires they make.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:58:38 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »

The reason I ask the question is simple, manufactures don`t always state there specifications and recomendations according to safety, as I`m sure your aware Dunlop as do other manufactures somtimes get in to bed with other companies in order to get sales and extra profit, for instance buy a tire from Dunlop with " D407 " on the side wall and pay "X" put  "Harley-Davidson" on the side wall and pay an extrra $50, I will however be talking to Dunlop UK LTD on Monday for a definitive answer and will let you know of the result (don`t be supprised if the answer is not what you would think!).
WHUFC   COYI

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »

The reason I ask the question is simple, manufactures don`t always state there specifications and recomendations according to safety, as I`m sure your aware Dunlop as do other manufactures somtimes get in to bed with other companies in order to get sales and extra profit, for instance buy a tire from Dunlop with " D407 " on the side wall and pay "X" put  "Harley-Davidson" on the side wall and pay an extrra $50, I will however be talking to Dunlop UK LTD on Monday for a definitive answer and will let you know of the result (don`t be supprised if the answer is not what you would think!).

Quite honestly, I would be surprised.  There's a large difference between a radial tire and a bias ply tire.  From a product liability perspective, Dunlop is not going to place that statement in their specifications for marketing purpose.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

trippy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:20:46 AM »

Of course common sense and simple honesty would mean I completely agree with those comments, but Ford U.S. of the 1960`s didn`t have such concerns with regard to "exploding Pinto fuel tanks" did they!!!
As for the difference between a Radial tire and a bias ply tire, I am not an expert on tire construction, can you enlighten me
please.
WHUFC   COYI

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »

Of course common sense and simple honesty would mean I completely agree with those comments, but Ford U.S. of the 1960`s didn`t have such concerns with regard to "exploding Pinto fuel tanks" did they!!!
As for the difference between a Radial tire and a bias ply tire, I am not an expert on tire construction, can you enlighten me
please.

My very first job some years ago was that of a Goodyear Tire Technician!  I traveled both IMSA, SCCA and CART racing circuits and provided evaluation of tire performance...  While tires have changed quite a lot over the years, I have a basic understanding of tire construction and performance.

The primary difference between radial and bias ply tires is the construction method and its effect on the sidewall of the tire. 

With a Radial tire, sidewall flex is not transmitted to the tread. The footprint only lengthens. With the added flexibility and strength of a radial tire, the tire absorbs shocks, impact and bumps much better than a bias ply tire. 

With a Bias Ply tire sidewall flex is transmitted to the tread. The sidewall flex causes the tire footprint to deform and there is an increase in tire slip. The tire does not contact as much ground as a radial tire.  A bias ply tire does not absorb bumps on the ground as well as a radial tire.

Radial tires are stronger and run cooler than bias ply tires, they can handle more vehicle weight and are generally a safer tire.  All things being equal, you should also get better fuel mileage running a radial tire. 

:) :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:21:28 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

trippy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

Thanks for that.
WHUFC   COYI

trippy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »

Spoke to Dunlop`s Tech helpline today, verdict on the D404F on my cvo road king, its not the tire they would recomend, however not dangerous but could lead to handling you would not expect and as such would be better to fit the recomended D408F, he said they take there advice from Germany as they have the highest testing standards in Europe.
Anyway have informed the tire dealer of this and he has said he will get the correct tire in and fit it without further charge,
I have known the dealer for quite some years and dont think it was his error but that of his supplier.
Thanks for the info, Ride Safe.
WHUFC   COYI

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.