Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Ape Hangers how high is to high  (Read 17118 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Ape Hangers how high is to high
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »

Ape hanger handle bars are one of those subjective things: either you love ‘em or you hate ‘em.  Apes just require a certain attitude.

If you love the look and attitude, but are unsure of the performance aspects, turn your attention to the study by the Head of the Human Factors Department, Highway Safety Research Institute at the University of Michigan. Okay fine, this study was done with bicycles, not motorcycles, but still there’s much to glean.

Entitled “The Relationship Of Bicycle Maneuverability To Handlebar Configuration”, the 1974 study says that when compared to standard height handle bars or race bars “…high rise handlebars showed a slight performance edge with tasks requiring the greatest amount of maneuverability.”  This was particularly true with figure eights and slalom tasks. Comparing motorcycles to bicycles may seem like monkey business, but maneuverability is quite similar between a bicycle and a motorcycle.

Since you’ve decided your performance won’t suffer, now you have to determine just what is the right height for your apes?  Manufacturer’s handle bar height specifications will yield different “body” heights on different bikes.  A 12″ ape hanger on a Harley Fat Boy is just short of shoulder high, while the same bar on a Road King, with the same rider, is sternum high.  That is due to seating positions of different bikes. 

Many riders considering apes are fearful that they will lose maneuverability and hence, are too conservative with their height estimation.  A good rule of thumb if you fall into the overly conservative category is to add two inches to what you think is high enough.

If you swap your stock bars with apes, you can realistically expect to change both throttle cables (or Electronic Throttle Control extension cable id, so equipped), brake line(s), clutch cable and wire extensions for the hand control harnesses. Given that this is an expensive proposition, it is better to go too high (which seems rare) than to be too conservative and go too low.  You can go to a lower bar without lengthening cable, but you can seldom go higher.

If you make the switch to apes, you may be in for some extra comfort as well.  Harley riders have some very common reasons for switching from stock handle bars to ape hangers:

•Stock bars are uncomfortable
•Neck and shoulder blade pain issues
•Numbness in lower arms and wrists
•Unable to ride long distances
Human factors expert Dr. Alex Stedmond of the UK Center for Motorcycle Ergonomics agrees.  While studying motorcycle ergonomics, he found that body part discomfort due to neck, shoulders, upper arms and lower arms were ranked highest by riders. 

This seems to be no surprise to Harley-Davidson MoCo either.  Marketing copy from the Motor Company frequently reads “Revised- Improved- optimized- enhanced”.   It’s been an ongoing design effort for years.  Yet riders making the switch to ape hangers, even mini-monkey bars, report greatly reduced discomfort and longer saddle time without a negative effect on handling or slow cornering.

So what are you waiting for? Shout off in the Forums and let us know why you’re for or against ape hangers.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: Ape Hangers how high is to high
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »

Do you have any vids of those pipes? I would love to hear those! That is definitely over the top, lol. I always thought apes were awkward til I sat on my buddy's fat boy and they were pretty comfortable ... his were nowhere close to being too much.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »

I love my apes! Out of all of my mods it's by far my favorite!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »

Well I guess I fall somewhat on the other side of the "Ape coin" ?  :nixweiss:
Just my .02 but I look at what a motorcycle is designed for and when you look at performance handling bikes they never have long ape style bars otherwise we would see then on race tracks and sport bikes.
I also think apes look good on long fork choppers and those bikes made for styling and looking cool not "practical long distance cruising bagger type bikes. I have not ridden a motorcycle with apes but I can't in-vision a long distance day with the blood draining out of my arms and my armpits into the cold in winter or cold rainy days.
I also think the first premise that you can equate bicycle handlebars and handling to motorcycles is flawed. They are two different vehicles that weigh differently and greater G forces from cornering on a motorcycle and amount of flex in the bars. You could also have issues with proper control of the handlebar controls due to extreme angles of very long bars and their position in relation to hand/arm mobility.
I do feel that to each his own though.... :2vrolijk_21:  ride safe and enjoy whatever you ride.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

Well I guess I fall somewhat on the other side of the "Ape coin" ?  :nixweiss:
Just my .02 but I look at what a motorcycle is designed for and when you look at performance handling bikes they never have long ape style bars otherwise we would see then on race tracks and sport bikes.
I also think apes look good on long fork choppers and those bikes made for styling and looking cool not "practical long distance cruising bagger type bikes. I have not ridden a motorcycle with apes but I can't in-vision a long distance day with the blood draining out of my arms and my armpits into the cold in winter or cold rainy days.
I also think the first premise that you can equate bicycle handlebars and handling to motorcycles is flawed. They are two different vehicles that weigh differently and greater G forces from cornering on a motorcycle and amount of flex in the bars. You could also have issues with proper control of the handlebar controls due to extreme angles of very long bars and their position in relation to hand/arm mobility.
I do feel that to each his own though.... :2vrolijk_21:  ride safe and enjoy whatever you ride.

You're missing out.  My apes are much more comfortable on long rides then the stock bars or the khromewerks sweepers ever were.  I also think the bike handles better on low speed maneuvers and into curves as well as coming off the kickstand easier. I can only speak for my setup in which my hands are not above my shoulders they are about even.

I also love the look. At the end of the day it's your bike and your call but I say don't knock it until you try it. My 13's will go on every bike I purchase in the future!

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »

It's more a question of degree to me.  Bars that have an additional six to ten inches of rise aren't what I call "ape hangers", and they are fine for those who like them.  True ape hangers, at least in my mind, are those monstrosities that force the rider to stretch his arms upward as if he was hanging from the limb of a tree.  Other than providing more cooling air flow to your pits, I can't think of a single good thing to say about those, and I associate them with the kind of people who are always seeking attention, not comfort or performance.  The ones I see regularly around here tend to act as if they were auditioning for a part in a remake of one of those terrible motorcycle gang movies from the 60's and 70's.  Long greasy hair, ratty clothes that haven't seen a washer and dryer in a decade, gang or prison style tats, and a sleazy BSR.  And don't forget the straight pipes and constant revving of the engine.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:41:04 PM »

It's more a question of degree to me.  Bars that have an additional six to ten inches of rise aren't what I call "ape hangers", and they are fine for those who like them.  True ape hangers, at least in my mind, are those monstrosities that force the rider to stretch his arms upward as if he was hanging from the limb of a tree.  Other than providing more cooling air flow to your pits, I can't think of a single good thing to say about those, and I associate them with the kind of people who are always seeking attention, not comfort or performance.  The ones I see regularly around here tend to act as if they were auditioning for a part in a remake of one of those terrible motorcycle gang movies from the 60's and 70's.  Long greasy hair, ratty clothes that haven't seen a washer and dryer in a decade, gang or prison style tats, and a sleazy BSR.  And don't forget the straight pipes and constant revving of the engine.

Jerry ;D

I agree 100%.

Honneybeast

• Full CVO Member
  • A cowboy from hell on a twisted trail
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »

I had a bike with 20" apes , that put my hands about eye level. I loved the look of the bike, it deffinately had attitude, as far as comfort it did leave some to be desired. Handling, it was a little sloppier then my screemer but there is a Huge difference in bikes.  Overall I liked the bike very much , however since my wreck I could not ride another with apes because of a shoulder injury.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »

'Had baby apes on the '81 FXWG, (with my hands about 3-4 inches lower than my shoulders) they were fine in town, or on trips when I would pack a duffle bag on the back seat and just rock back.

I have ridden a bike with big apes (hands above shoulders) and would never have them on any of my bikes...

As far as control goes, I prefer the leverage and long distance comfort (aero) from more conservative bars...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »

I don't have nor ever had Apes on a bike. Have thought about  minis for my Road Glide. Iwould think if you have to stand on the seat to reach the grips, thet might be too high. :o
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »

Just not for me.  Sat on a couple with the 12" bars and rode one a few years ago with 18" bars (one street glide, one RK and a FXSTC respectively).  Nope, not in my gameplan.  Did NOT feel comfortable for me what-so-ever.  I know the opinions will be all over the board for this one but "apes", no matter how tall, are not what I want for my riding experience.
As for looks, again it's not something that I care for.  The look always reminds me of the old "Kilroy was here" WWII cartoon.  Didn't like the look when I was younger and my opinion has not changed over the years. 

Those that do like the look and feel of that style, more power to you'uns.... :2vrolijk_21:

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

Go to Sturgis with your hands above shoulder height and see what their local police department has to say about it. Better have the funds available in your bank account.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

:nixweiss:
I've never had apes either and certainly wouldn't consider those that angle the arms higher than your shoulder level.  Jswerves pic really doesn't (appear to me) to be "apes" at all.  In the pic,  his arm is looking to be lower than his shoulder by quite a bit.  (although higher than stock).  (Does look to be just about right height to "block" the stock rear view mirrors)

I would love to try out a set,  but how the hell do ya do that unless you got a buddy close by with a model similar to your own and he has higher bars.  Too much expense in new cables, wiring, etc. to try it out and find out a.  you don't like it as well as stock or b.  you like it but now want to go a little higher. :confused5:

Guess many of us will really never know "just what we are missing" :drink:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »

:nixweiss:
I've never had apes either and certainly wouldn't consider those that angle the arms higher than your shoulder level.  Jswerves pic really doesn't (appear to me) to be "apes" at all.  In the pic,  his arm is looking to be lower than his shoulder by quite a bit.  (although higher than stock).  (Does look to be just about right height to "block" the stock rear view mirrors)

I would love to try out a set,  but how the hell do ya do that unless you got a buddy close by with a model similar to your own and he has higher bars.  Too much expense in new cables, wiring, etc. to try it out and find out a.  you don't like it as well as stock or b.  you like it but now want to go a little higher. :confused5:

Guess many of us will really never know "just what we are missing" :drink:

They aren't apes they are khromewerks sweepers. Last year's bars couldn't stand them. I now have 13" cyclesmiths and they will be put on every future bike if I every sell my baby. Best mod I ever did.

Ride what your like how you like it's your bike.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »

Go to Sturgis with your hands above shoulder height and see what their local police department has to say about it. Better have the funds available in your bank account.

This is common knowledge. I still saw idiots with their hands about head high. They just pay the fines and ride on.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.