Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire tread  (Read 2123 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Tire tread
« on: June 13, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »

Have wondered from time to time, might as well ask. The tread depth on most new car tires is 11/32, while motorcycles is about 5/32. Is that a reason bike tires only last + - 10k? 
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tire tread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »

The tread depth on late model Touring rear tires is 10/32", while most fronts are around 5/32".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »

The tread depth on late model Touring rear tires is 10/32", while most fronts are around 5/32".

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that answered a question I had without having to ask it. 
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:52:55 AM »

so would 1/8" remainobg be a good time to get one
on.order?
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »

on.order?

I wouldn't, unless it takes a long time to get or you have a long trip planned. 1/8 = a little less than half gone on a rear.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »

on.order?

Depends on how long you think it may take to get one where you are and how much you ride.  The minimum tread depth per the manufacturer is 1/32", I prefer a minimum of 2/32" myself on a motorcycle tire.  If you use my 2/32" figure, finding and ordering one when you get to 4/32" (1/8") might make sense if it's hard to get one where you are currently located, especially if you're trying to find the best price and not just paying a local dealer whatever he thinks the market will bear.  Doesn't mean you should change it at that 4/32" figure though.

JMHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »

Also depends somewhat on the climate and your riding style. 

I ride year round, rain doesn't slow me down much, but poor visibility will.  I need all the water shedding I can get.  I use the Harley air gauge with the tread depth thingy and when it hits the blue I get new rubber as a set.

Also, less tread depth makes your tire a little more vulnerable to punctures.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »

Also depends somewhat on the climate and your riding style. 

I ride year round, rain doesn't slow me down much, but poor visibility will.  I need all the water shedding I can get.  I use the Harley air gauge with the tread depth thingy and when it hits the blue I get new rubber as a set.

Also, less tread depth makes your tire a little more vulnerable to punctures.

I agree wholeheartedly.  If you ride in the rain you definitely want sufficient tread to prevent hydroplaning, and a tire with full tread depth will resist punctures better than a worn out tire.  The trick is to find the minimum tread depth that suits your riding conditions while also allowing you to get a reasonable amount of miles before changing tires again.  Ideally we would all keep brand new tires on our bikes all the time, but of course unless you own a bike or tire shop and look like that biker in the insurance commercials with the dollar bills blowing off him as he rides, that isn't terribly practical. 

Jerry

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »

Thanx all - I think I will start price comparisons and get one one order.  Depending on the USPS service it can take as long as 60 days to get here to my Army Post Office.  That being said I have bought things from Amazon, shipped from the US and gotten it in 6 days!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:27:41 AM by SmokeyJoe »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »

We've gotten in the habit of taking at least once yearly trips of 4K to 7K miles.  And I don't want these trips to be the last 4k to 7k miles of a set of tires.  So we generally leave on these trips with new or near new tires - with plenty of "rain tread" left on them.  Which means I often take tires off that have many usable miles left, just not miles I want to head off on a long trip with... 

The upside is the kids in the neighborhood, or their friends, stop by from time to time to see if they can pick up a set of "used but nice" tires from me, which I'll give to them at no cost.  When I was a youngster, I had an old guy or two in the neighborhood I could lean on - and it's good to help out a young motorcycle enthusiast!  Not to mention the upside of some good will from the high school crowd in the neighborhood, when we leave our house sitting empty so often!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »

We've gotten in the habit of taking at least once yearly trips of 4K to 7K miles.  And I don't want these trips to be the last 4k to 7k miles of a set of tires.  So we generally leave on these trips with new or near new tires - with plenty of "rain tread" left on them.  Which means I often take tires off that have many usable miles left, just not miles I want to head off on a long trip with... 

The upside is the kids in the neighborhood, or their friends, stop by from time to time to see if they can pick up a set of "used but nice" tires from me, which I'll give to them at no cost.  When I was a youngster, I had an old guy or two in the neighborhood I could lean on - and it's good to help out a young motorcycle enthusiast!  Not to mention the upside of some good will from the high school crowd in the neighborhood, when we leave our house sitting empty so often!   :2vrolijk_21:

Nice - good going there, I like hearing about good will.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.