Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: best tuner  (Read 19753 times)

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
Re: best tuner
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »

:pepper:
Are you planning on having the bike dynoed? If so, I'd ask the dyno tech what system he prefers.  JM2C, but it's more important to choose a good dyno tech than a particular brand of tuner.
TTS
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

nascaroutlaw

• 2014 CVO limited
    • MD

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »

They didn't remove the stock ECM.  The new map is installed in the ECM in place of the original map (calibration file).  Did they give you the VCI (vehicle communications interface, a small orange box-like device)?  If not, you need to insist they do so, you paid for it and it's married to your ECM (not useable on any other ECM).

If you have the product I think you have, the Street Perfomance Tuner, you are right, it is limited to making adjustments outside of the EPA regulated operating areas, such as more than 50% throttle and high load (acceleration).  It's definitely NOT what you really want or need to do a full and proper tune.  Why these dealers continue to sell that thing instead of the SEPST is beyond me. 

Trust me, since you don't seem to be familiar with the process you really need to find that full time professional tuner I mentioned previously and stop worrying about the actual device that will be used to tune the bike.  Do not assume the folks at the dealership are qualified to do much of anything.

Jerry
thanks a bunch Jerry, yes they gave me the orange box.

nascaroutlaw

• 2014 CVO limited
    • MD

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »

So they can up sale ya later. Of course.

thanks Mark

nascaroutlaw

• 2014 CVO limited
    • MD

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »

Lots of things can cause decel popping. There is no magic button or feature in any tuning device that is going to fix it, anyone who thinks that's possible, is trying to selling you a bill of goods. There are even some pipe, muffler combinations that you will never get it all gone. With that said cover the basics before you jump into the tuning for it. If your bike has been fine and then after a period of time, developed decel popping it is typically not the tune.
im pretty sure its the tune the bike only has 2,000 miles on it and the first thing i had done before i took it out of the dealer was have a whole new exhaust put on it. i have a V&H header pipe and RC Components slip ons and the stealer talked me in to installing the sert and every since they put that p.o.s on the bike has been running like sh*t 

Smithbss

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:41 AM »

I just bought Vance & Hines Monster rounds chrome, a Fuelpak FP3, and a Ram Mount Aqua Pro 20 with tough claw mount.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/AppleMounts/iPhoneMounts/RAMHOLAQ72COU/tabid/5048/Default.aspx

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/touring/slipons/16773

http://fp3.vanceandhines.com/#fuelpakfp3

They will deliver them this Friday, ill put them on Sat morning and post how it goes.

I did not do much research on the tuner, which is out of character for me, but I figure VH ain't going anywhere if I have any issues and I like their iphone app and auto tuning capabilities plus their many different maps.

I will do all the work myself and not do a dyno because I enjoy working on my bikes and not paying Harley. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:27:22 AM by Smithbss »

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »

Let's us know how that works out.  Plenty of guys wanting to hear real world with that tuner.  And BTW you can have your bike tuned without giving any money to Harley.  Support your local Indy.

zigscvobo

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 BREAKOUT
    • CVO2: 2006 ROAD KING CUSTOM 95 INCHER
    • CVO3: 1981 CUSTOM SHOVELHEAD 80 INCHER
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »

Just talked to the most reliable source I know. Doc insists that the TTS is the only devise that has the tunability needed. Sorry my spelling really isnt what it should be. Thanks goes out to him for the knowledge he was willing to share with me.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »

I have the Fuelpack FP3 on My CVO road king with Power Duals and Monster Rounds. Love it!
Took me 15mns to set up and runs great. I have about 500 miles on it with various road conditions and speeds. Loads of torque and power.
I might autotune later but don't really see the need for it. Cool to be able to check head temperature and other info on my i-phone.
I also own a 2003 road king classic with big bore, stage 2 (203 cams) and professional tune and it feels like a snail compared to the cvo.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:40:54 AM by jpdchicago »

Hilly13

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »

I mean no disrespect here, you guys buy the most expensive Harleys made, the top of the Harley heap so to speak, why settle for a second rate tune? Don't you want your pride and joy to be the best it can be?

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »

Totally agree with your view of the power vision- wanted to save some money knowing I would add different components over time and figured I could get a basic map from DynoJet and then use the auto tune.  Doesn't appear that way (auto tune feature fell well short of expectations).  Just put on a 2 into 1 system and seems pretty good with the basic map from DynoJet, but still pops from time to time on acceleration.  In other words I am going to have it professionally tuned.

x3 spot on. I wish I had done that. I purchased the Dynojet Power Vision, which is a great tool no doubt, but no one around me uses it to tune and in the end a real tune trumps the auto tune function. I bought mine in hopes that I would save money putting it on the dyno but in the end I had to dyno it anyway.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »

May be it is just me but I would rather use a map professionally tuned by V&h for my exact setting (cvo power duals monster rounds) than trust my local dealership on the right tune. If I had a reputable tuner in my area that would be a different story. I also saved over $500. 300 for the fp3 versus 400 for se tuner and another 400 for a good tune.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »

But it's not tuned for your exact build. Pipes yes. Injectors, compression it is not. Canned maps don't work period.  I would suggest at least running some street tuning sessions.

But I do totally agree with Hilly.  Some of you guys have $30,000 $40,000 wrapped up in these things.  Getting the bike tuned to run its best and most efficient. Isn't where I'd try and save $500 

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »

I currently have one bike with a Tmax  and one with a TTS. There is really no comparison. Although the Tmax does a good job, it provides nowhere near the level of tune that the TTS Mastertune does. Both will tune the bikes without use of a dyno but both require a dyno to safely get a finished tune. The TTS is way more comprehensive in it's level of tune. I have delt with the SERT and it is to me just an entry level TTS.

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »

I couldn't agree more! I wish this statement was in every tuning forum.
Bob

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:21 PM »

I'm taking my bike up to Doug Lofgren in Minnesota to be tuned on Tuesday. Leaving it for a week. I have the power vision. Guess that shows you where I stand on tune vs tuner lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.