Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 10% Ethanol Fuel  (Read 3230 times)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
10% Ethanol Fuel
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »

Was curious to know what you put in your tank when running 10% Ethanol Fuel.  I try to use Ethanol free gas whenever I can,  but it's getting harder to find this fuel.  Seems I am running more of this crap than I like to,  now I feel that I should be pouring something extra into every tank of fuel.  What is the general consensus of what everyone is using. 

Thanks for the advice.

Jimmy
Jimmy

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: 10% Ethanol Fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »

Was curious to know what you put in your tank when running 10% Ethanol Fuel.  I try to use Ethanol free gas whenever I can,  but it's getting harder to find this fuel.  Seems I am running more of this crap than I like to,  now I feel that I should be pouring something extra into every tank of fuel.  What is the general consensus of what everyone is using. 

Thanks for the advice.

Jimmy

I live in Iowa so it's a bit hard to find regular gas. I run ethanol when I have to. I was told I put enough miles on my bike and burn through it so fast not to worry about it?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »

You can usually fine ethanol free fuel at marina's. Usually  :D

try.... http://buyrealgas.com to find them around you...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:48 AM »

try.... http://buyrealgas.com to find them around you...

Man Iowa is smack dab in the middle. The all powerful corn Gods LMAO. ETHANOL SUCKS!!! It is such a joke!!! Farmers getting fat pockets while we pay at the pump, grocery store, and for goods and services! On top of that, the gas sucks to boot!  >:(

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

Bummer, living in south florida it is not hassle for gas but then again I can't find a hill or a swerving turn anywhere... :D

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »

Bummer, living in south florida it is not hassle for gas but then again I can't find a hill or a swerving turn anywhere... :D

The only place I can find those is about 3 hours east of me on the Mississippi river. If you like flat open corn fields with an occasional grain bin, hog farm, cow farm, mixed together with a nice foul odor of feces and several wind mills as a visual then Iowa is your place!  :P

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »

:D

I used to go to Davenport for the antique bike show, I used to have a 1935 HD...but Davenport doesn't really count does it... :D

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »

:D

I used to go to Davenport for the antique bike show, I used to have a 1935 HD...but Davenport doesn't really count does it... :D

No lol. You didn't get far enough to see the miles of farmland!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »

The only place I can find those is about 3 hours east of me on the Mississippi river. If you like flat open corn fields with an occasional grain bin, hog farm, cow farm, mixed together with a nice foul odor of feces and several wind mills as a visual then Iowa is your place!  :P

Both of you guys need to come to the Maggie Valley GTG for some great roads, a great motorcycle museum, good food and meet some of the best site members around.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 10:53:14 AM »

Both of you guys need to come to the Maggie Valley GTG for some great roads, a great motorcycle museum, good food and meet some of the best site members around.

SBB

Can't make it this year Chip but maybe next. I know how great it is down there just spent 6 days cruising there!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »

Sure thing Chippah......next year I will not be working at MV time, right now MV time is peak operational for us down here in the electical biz, we will see if, well, you know........ :D

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »

Sure thing Chippah......next year I will not be working at MV time, right now MV time is peak operational for us down here in the electical biz, we will see if, well, you know........ :D

Mike

I think we all would love to see you and Lisa at a GTG!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »

If not already, have the bike custom tuned with ethanol fuel and you will be ok.  Bike will make the same power but fuel mileage will go down. Alcohol burns cooler than gas so the engine should see some drop in temps as long as it is run in open loop. The ECM and O2 sensors will take care of any fuel adjustment needed if you have to run a tank of real gas every so often. I am afraid that ethanol is here to stay as long as the FEDs subsidize the corn farmers and ethanol brewers. What really scares me is to see them increasing the corn to 15-20% and not telling anybody.
TTS, T-max or PV will all work for tuning.

Slick1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »

I use Startron every time i get gas with ethanol in it.
Ethanol will do nasty things to your fuel system if the bike sits any amount of time.
I ride alot but still wont take a chance.
Eight dollars for a bottle is cheap insurance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 02:39:51 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

Jimmy

Why do you feel that way Jimmy?  What problem do you think you are having due to using fuel with ethanol in it?  Have you actually had such a problem, or are you just going by the scare stories you find on the internet or the advertising from all the con artists selling additives?

I've been running gas with ethanol in it for a decade at least, and possibly longer than that.  So far I have had ZERO fuel related problems on any of my vehicles or lawnmowers or weed whackers, and I don't add any of those additives.  The only thing I do add is some Sta-bil stabilizer (the regular kind) to the gas cans I use for the lawn mower/snow blower/etc., since that gas might wind up sitting for more than a month depending on the season.

You guys with late model bikes with closed loop engine management systems don't even need to worry about the fact that alcohol runs leaner than gas, since the engine management system compensates automatically.  Those of us with older technology might need to have the tune tweaked, but once it's done it's not a problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.