Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SOLVED THE WIND BUFFETING ISSUE!!! Very excited!!  (Read 7929 times)

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

SOLVED THE WIND BUFFETING ISSUE!!! Very excited!!
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

Well I got this beautiful '01 CVO Switchblade a few weeks ago and I love having a windshield for long rides. Actually, I like having it there all the time but, that wind buffeting would shake my head and half helmet to the point my vision would blur and after a bit the headache would set in. Not fun. A tool bag on the upper forks helps a bit with the wind coming off the tank under the shield but still the helmet rattling was just unbearable. I read through some forums and people are trying any number of cut downs, fins, and lowers etc. but the wind for everyone just keeps coming same as it did for me. Being a product development guy and not wanting to booger up my bike with all that "stuff", I took on the challenge of seeing if I could find a simple solution.

Well damn it, I found it and I have already filed for a provisional patent and a trademark, lol, because I am going to make these damn things!!! I made some prototypes and yesterday after going out and buying a sewing machine that can zip through thick saddle leather I was able to make black leather versions. Quite proud of my self over here, lol. They came out pretty damn good! And they work even better than the plastic prototype versions I made!! You attach them to your legs like knee pads and they do not look out of place at all and nothing attaches to the bike!!

I went to a big bike ride today and people were asking what they were and the reaction was awesome. I let a few people try them and damn if they didn't want to buy them from me right there on the spot!!! Too funny. Yes I took their names and when I figured in my head that they would cost about $150 bucks for me to make and sell they started handing me money, lol!!

So thanks to my getting my CVO Switchblade I have found another product that I get to make. Like the story goes, some of the greatest products available were discovered out of personal necessity. If you ask me, getting rid of the greater portion of that wind shake behind that windshield is a VERY big thing. Even at lower speeds the wind behind the shield is almost gone. Even a guy on his Street Glide noticed a huge difference. He's the one that told me if I don't make these I was nuts. Every rider with a cruise bike with a windshield would have them. Way too cool.

Today was a very good day. :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:38:45 PM by Far2hip »

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: SOLVED THE WIND BUFFETING ISSUE!!! Very excited!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »

ok,where do we sign-up?  we will be needing a vendor discount!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:28:06 PM »

:worthless:

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »

LOL 110HunDer!! I was just tellin the story dang it, lol! I'll snap a few shots and post today. And no doubt any CVO Forum member gets a discount! It's only right. If it wasn't for the CVO purchased I would have never come up with the idea. If I bought a dresser I would have never noticed how bad this wind buffeting can get. But it's funny how even that slight shift in the wind coming up under the faring can make such a difference in the atmosphere behind it. With the Dyna WG I expected a little wind smack but not feeling like my head was gonna come rattling off!!

I'll snap some pics and post 'em. I've been in development mode and gaining some new found respect for what these leather workers go through to make what seems to be a simple process. NOT!! If I start selling these things I am going to get a die punch of some sort. Cutting that thick ass saddle skirt to a specific shape is a pain in the ass!!

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »

Do you have a time table on availability?  I was out on my Road King yesterday and after a short stretch on the highway I told my wife that I could not go on.  The wind was just beating the crap out of me.  We put 400 miles of aggressive riding on Saturday, so Sunday I was already tired. I came home and read all kinds of stuff from the Aero Vest that has flaps that open up to cut down on wind to the bolt on wind deflectors for the front end.  I'm getting pretty desperate because I love the Road King but at 60 years old my old injuries just make the second day of riding unbearable.  By the way I often will cross left arm and grab a handful of clothing to make a wind defector but that gets tiring after a while.  Please keep us posted, for me it's cure the problem or get another bike.  I wish you well.

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »

Pictures, pictures!!

WOW!! That is literally the fastest reply I have ever received from the patent office on a filing. Usually it takes at least a month or more but I got a live response in one week! Sweet. The lawyer looking at the file must be a biker, lol.

By the way, if any of you have an idea for a product that you want to move forward on and need a bit of advice on what steps to take to do so in bringing that product to market, always feel free to ask and I will help where I can. I am new to this forum but I would like to be a productive member and offer some free advice. The lawyers will cost you big bucks if you come in from the bottom and I can definitely help you in that area. I have developed quite a few products with a pretty broad range of applications from simple items like these here air diffusers to more technical stuff like my KINDERMA skin care products (my full time gig) as well as a very interesting GPS application technology that someday soon you all will be using :) .

Well, here is a picture of my creation. I have a good name for them but I am waiting for the trademark response. How these work is, one of The PRIMARY sources of wind coming up and blasting your helmet on any bike with a feet forward sitting layout is from the forward angle of your legs. Look at the angle of your chin with your feet on the pegs and you will see a straight shot aiming right at your head for air to flow. When you are at low speed it's usually a more subtle flow. But when you get up to around 50-55mph it becomes much more noticeable. When you get to up over 60-65mph the rhythmic vortexes between the wind over the shield and that wind coming off your angled up legs (and a little from the air splitting off your tank coming from between your fork tubes) can make the ride completely unbearable at times. Cutting or angling your windshield will not solve this. I tried. You can add those lowers to the bike but personally, I do not like the look at all. These deflectors force the wind down and out and almost completely stop the brain bucket buffeting that made my ride so grueling. And because of the proximity to the engine it actually provides a little more cooling air flow to the engine area. Pretty "cool". (Haha)

These things really work!! What was a real shock was the comments I got from guys that tested them for me with an Ultra with lowers, a Street Glide, and a Fat Boy with NO wind shield!! The guy on the Ultra said they must be catching the air coming through that small space between the faring and the lowers because he said he could probably light a Bic light back there now, lol. (????) The Street Glide guy noticed a serious drop in wind flutter behind the faring and the guy on the Fat Boy said they stopped what he called "wind wobble" which in his description was that he felt more of the straight line wind and not the blasting upward wind that kinda of wobbles you back and forth at times. Never expected that but if it helps even without a windshield, well, that makes me even MORE excited!! Now it's a matter of people thinking that they might look odd. But, I made them out of black leather and personally I don't think they look odd at all. But I just might be a little biased.....just a little, lol.

What's your opinion? Seriously. Let me have it! I don't get offended because when you are creating something, it's usually those that cannot take constructive criticism that fail. Iif you are making something that others would buy, it's their opinion that counts. They are the ones buying it!!!

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:06:03 AM »

Ray G, I will send you a pair to test if you want to be a guinea pig for me. I can get your shipping info and send them to you. You could have them tomorrow to try as you are only in NH. Being new to the forum I am not sure how to get messages through but if we can connect I will ship you one of my prototype pairs to try. You will always get a little bit of buffeting behind a windshield and we all know that. But the hardcore beating comes right from your legs on a feet forward position and you will notice a HUGE difference. Would love for you to try them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:14:53 AM by Far2hip »

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »

As a side note, after having them on for about 5 minutes, you don't even know they are there. Very cool. But I am dead serious on that last long ass post I put up, I really want some opinions from anyone that wants to share one. I am definitely moving forward on these because this is a major issue for a lot of riders and the more input the better. ESPECIALLY from bikers!!

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »

Personally, I think they're a great idea.  I have been pondering a similar design for a few years, but yours is a reality (mine still only exists in my head), and obviously (to me) more robust than mine.  I frequently ride with a hand on my knee "salute" style to deflect that significant amount of wind away from my body.

Congrats, and good luck with your idea. 
Big Lew
IBA #595

CWH

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CUSE6 Black/Red
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »

Are they rubbing on the tank?
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
TTS MasterTuner
HarleyGoodies Floor board
extenders

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »

CHW, the straps do touch the tank when you hug the tank with your legs. That is why I used a softer leather for that area. I have also smoothed down the face and edges of the actual leather plate that makes up the over foil. I have that bright red DWG2 and after cruising around with my legs hugged to the tank they barely touch and I have noticed no scratches even slightly. That was a focal point.

I just came back from spending half a day out at TSI Harley having a good number of guys try them out. Most all loved them after even if they were on the fence about wearing something like that to start with. Great feedback and all positive. My favorite comment was from a guy with a Road Glide. He said he honestly didn't realize how much air he was getting back there and how much noise there was until he tried these diffusers. Cut both down to nothing. Nice. For long rides and colder days he wants a pair to reduce the cold air movement behind the faring and to reduce the noise. This is going quite well. So far the only negative from a few people has been wearing them. But to me and others that tried them, the benefits FAR outweigh the looks and after you have them on for a couple minutes you don't even know they are there.

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »

Oh, and thanks for the comments and question by the way!

Far2hip

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »

RayG, it appears that because I am new to this forum I cannot use certain functions, one being messaging. But I can receive them I think because it gives me the option to see if I have any new messages. I have made up a few prototype pairs for testing and today they were quickly snapped up to try. I saved one pair for you to try as I said I would send them to you to do so. Man of my word. If you would like to send me a message through here hopefully I will get it. I would think like other forums they don't want us posting personal phone numbers and what not but we will find a way to connect. I am quite shocked over the past few days at how many guys have actually sold bikes they love the look and comfort of because they couldn't solve the wind buffeting issue the same as you describe. I think a few members here would be shocked to know which of some very popular products out there on the shelves of many stores that I have developed. But to me it's a lot more exciting to have developed something that solves a big motorcycle issue. I have been riding since I could walk, literally, so it's kind of an honor, ya know?

Oh, and just in case you can't tell, I not only write a lot, I also talk a lot too. Drives people nuts sometimes, lol. Yes, I am one of THOSE guys, lol. But at least it's about interesting stuff.............well, at least I think so. :)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »

Somehow my last message didn't post.  I would love to try a set of these.  Looks are not that bad & if they do the job as well as I think they will you should have some success selling these.  just click on my avatar & you will have access to my personal email.  After returning home last night my wife and I found the site from Jack Halterman's Aero vest with the pocket's that flip up with the wind.  My wife had the idea of making an attachment that would go to my pants that had a number of these flaps, but your idea looks better and I suspect will handle the volume of air necessary to feel the difference.  Count me in. 

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »

I installed the new HD fork deflectors and it is calm as could be  with a full face helmet on. I already have to many pcs of riding gear to put on with all the weather changes on long rides. I have a Klock Werks wind shield on too. I had the same problem on my way to Arkansas in May with  head winds of 40 miles plus my neck was so sore that I sopped at Pig Trail HD and they installed that night and the ride is great. No wind around me at all  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.