Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Lifter failure  (Read 14309 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Lifter failure
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

Maybe I'll just by a convertible roadster  :nixweiss:

They make a Polaris Slingshot in your color.

;D

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Snuff™

• CVO1: '13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »

Here's mine after a bent valve.  Riding home from Sturgis this past weekend, 585 miles from home.  Getting on On-Ramp in 3rd gear ~4500RPM when pop, pop, and died.  Bike is 13 months old w/ 9,771 miles.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:23:54 PM by Snuff™ »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:05 PM »

Be careful posting all these "negative" comments; the Pollyanna's and Kool-Aid drinkers might come after you.  We all know that all of these reports of lousy quality and reliability are just the products of a negative mindset from a teeny tiny minority, while the truth is that the vast majority are enjoying a perfect experience with their perfect Harley motorcycles and perfect Harley service at the wonderful Harley dealerships.  Think positive thoughts, and trust in the Deity otherwise known as the MoCo, and things will be wonderful.  You just have to believe (and of course drink the Kool-Aid). Everything else is just a figment of your imagination.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »

Be careful posting all these "negative" comments; the Pollyanna's and Kool-Aid drinkers might come after you.  We all know that all of these reports of lousy quality and reliability are just the products of a negative mindset from a teeny tiny minority, while the truth is that the vast majority are enjoying a perfect experience with their perfect Harley motorcycles and perfect Harley service at the wonderful Harley dealerships.  Think positive thoughts, and trust in the Deity otherwise known as the MoCo, and things will be wonderful.  You just have to believe (and of course drink the Kool-Aid). Everything else is just a figment of your imagination.

Jerry ;D
Puff, puff, pass. :beatnik: :zroflmao:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »

Here's mine after a bent valve.  Riding home from Sturgis this past weekend, 585 miles from home.  Getting on On-Ramp in 3rd gear ~4500RPM when pop, pop, and died.

That is EXACTLY how mine failed, getting on the on ramp accelerating! Only I was 600 miles LOL. WOW!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »

Seriously considering selling ours and buying a Victory and a tractor for the property. Nothing spins me up worse than being played. Harley doesn't stand behind their signature product, and from all I've read they have known about the issues and continue to produce this crab without fixing it. The bent exhaust valve problem due to substandard valve guides allowing syn oil to leak by and gum up the valve shaft. This same is issue is causing lifter failures. I try to buy American as much as I can, but it becoming harder to find good quality American products from Corporate America. Not just a problem with Harley. For my part I don't live and die to ride a Harley. I ride to ride. I rode the hell out of my previous Jap bikes without these kind of problems. Don't get me wrong I really like my bike just not the problems it has and will continue to have unless I invest in some other motor. The rolling chassis idea is a good one. May be they could offer a motor option something else just not theirs.  Done done done. :soapbox:   By the way if you have heard anything bad about Victory product lets me know. From what I've read they are more reliable than Harley motors. Just not as pretty
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »

Seriously considering selling ours and buying a Victory and a tractor for the property. Nothing spins me up worse than being played. Harley doesn't stand behind their signature product, and from all I've read they have known about the issues and continue to produce this crab without fixing it. The bent exhaust valve problem due to substandard valve guides allowing syn oil to leak by and gum up the valve shaft. This same is issue is causing lifter failures. I try to buy American as much as I can, but it becoming harder to find good quality American products from Corporate America. Not just a problem with Harley. For my part I don't live and die to ride a Harley. I ride to ride. I rode the hell out of my previous Jap bikes without these kind of problems. Don't get me wrong I really like my bike just not the problems it has and will continue to have unless I invest in some other motor. The rolling chassis idea is a good one. May be they could offer a motor option something else just not theirs.  Done done done. :soapbox:   By the way if you have heard anything bad about Victory product lets me know. From what I've read they are more reliable than Harley motors. Just not as pretty

I live in Iowa and Victory is assembled in Spirit Lake. I know when you tour the plant you will notice a lot parts on the line aren't from the USA just like Harley. A guy at work just bought a '14 Cross Country. He previously rode Honda VTX1300's. Looking forward to see how it holds up. He rolls up 10-12k a riding season.

This same guy at work was riding with a friend out to Sturgis this year. His friend had a 3 month old '14 SG. The bottom end blew up by Sioux Falls, SD. Not sure how it happened he didn't know the details. It happened on Saturday, he didn't get to Sturgis until Wednesday!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »

If you really like the bike, swap out the HD crap for a S&S 111, problems gone!! Just sayin' Buffalo
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.