Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Valve noise  (Read 1250 times)

1QTLOW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Valve noise
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »

I have a 2014 FLHRSE with 1000 miles. The motor is LOUD! I've had Shovelheads that were quieter. I know the sewing machine noise is normal but this is valve noise...clack...clack...clack around 2000rpm and again at 2400rpm. It is so load it is audible going down the highway at 70 mph! I had the dealership mechanic take it for a ride at about 500 miles and was told "well it's probably normal, ride it and if it gets worse we can check it out" its getting worse. Anybody have the same issues? I would not have purchased the bike if I knew it was going to sound the way it does...disappointed

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
Re: Valve noise
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:15:54 AM »

I don't have a 2014 but I just had the same clacking sound on my 2012 SESG after a complete engine rebuild. Dealer told me it was a broken rocker arm bracket. Not sure if this helps but it might be somewhere to start. Good luck. I hope it's nothing serious.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:17:28 AM by hdguy1 »
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »

Go over the head of whoever the genius was who told you to just keep riding it until you find someone (hopefully) at that dealership with a basic understanding of proper diagnostics.  I know, it might take a little time to actually check the bike out properly versus the good ol' blow off routine so common these days. 

Btw, this clacking doesn't necessarily have to be valvetrain related.  Lots of things can create similar noises, including loose parts on the bike.  If that's the case here, then his advice to just keep riding it may in fact eventually fix it if the loose part finally falls off. ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »

Btw, another source of a clanking noise that gets worse over the first 1000 miles is a primary chain that is loose due to an automatic adjuster that isn't adjusting.  The primary chain becomes quite loose over the first 500 to 1000 miles as everything beds in, thus the need on the older bikes with manual adjusters to make a significant adjustment at the first service.  Some of Harley's automatic adjusters have been reported to bind and never actually take up the slack.  The chain on a late model can easily hit the inside of the primary case if it becomes slack.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

GRC, I wish they would have left the manual tensioner on the primary. It was no big deal to adjust, and when you ride in hot weather it is quite possible for the auto tensioner to adjust for slack at high temp and then when things cool down you are stuck with a primary chain that is too tight. Regarding the lifter noise I have posted about the same issue before, but since mine is pretty quiet at freeway speeds and at idle I am going to leave it alone until something major breaks. Between 2200 and 2800 RPM is when my lifters are noisy If it was piston slap I would probably hear it just off idle and I would be using oil.JMHO

Btw, another source of a clanking noise that gets worse over the first 1000 miles is a primary chain that is loose due to an automatic adjuster that isn't adjusting.  The primary chain becomes quite loose over the first 500 to 1000 miles as everything beds in, thus the need on the older bikes with manual adjusters to make a significant adjustment at the first service.  Some of Harley's automatic adjusters have been reported to bind and never actually take up the slack.  The chain on a late model can easily hit the inside of the primary case if it becomes slack.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:02:13 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »

Is this your first FBW bike???  What air intake is on the bike. The heavy breather makes the fbw noise much louder and that clack clack noise comes right out of the air cleaner.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »

Hi GMR PERFORMANCE,  thanks for your many informative posts. If your question is related to me I have the HD high-flow air filter with stock cover. This is only my second HD, but I have had about 30 motorcycles over the years. Funny thing is if I am "bikeless" I start walking around the garage wondering what is missing. Love my 09 except for a little valve train noise. What does the abbreviation FBW mean. Is it something related to fuel injection? CAHDBIKER

Is this your first FBW bike???  What air intake is on the bike. The heavy breather makes the fbw noise much louder and that clack clack noise comes right out of the air cleaner.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »

Fly By Wire, or as Harley calls it, Electronic Throttle Control.  There is a strange noise associated with the electronic throttle bikes that comes from the throttle body, and under certain circumstances it can sound like a knocking or clacking.

Jerry

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »

Thanks grc. CAHDBIKER

Fly By Wire, or as Harley calls it, Electronic Throttle Control.  There is a strange noise associated with the electronic throttle bikes that comes from the throttle body, and under certain circumstances it can sound like a knocking or clacking.

Jerry

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.