Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Compensator going bad already  (Read 2898 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
2014 Compensator going bad already
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »

I have a 2008 SERK and have had to install 5 compensators in that time.  I have 75,000 miles on her now.  I don't have all the info at hand but I think I installed the last one over a year ago along with the new primary cover as the old one was showing it's age.  I did not have to change any rotor components but it was still a costly install.  I'll try to make it until winter, maybe a solution will be found by then.  If not I will install the Compusave with the new compensator.  I have the Energy One clutch and it doesn't like the thicker lubricant so I use the B&M Trick Shift which is blue in color.  The compensator likes the thick stuff and the clutch wants the thin stuff.  Next time I put in a clutch I'll put one in that does not use the OEM clutch Basket.  Oh I have the S&S 124LC with close to 20,000 on her.  But it actually starts easier with the easy start cams than the 110 did with the stock 255's.  More money what's new!

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Re: 2014 Compensator going bad already
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »

I just put the latest one in my 08 SERK, with new rotor, chain, and clutch basket.....started about  20 times, started kickback again. took all of the timig out  of the rpms  lower than 700 and it started great, exactly the same for 15  starts now i get runnon and starter kickback intermitenly.

belt drive?
08 SERK, with bigger bump sticks, rhinehart true duels, and a T-max. diamond cut jugs and stuff.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »

I just put the latest one in my 08 SERK, with new rotor, chain, and clutch basket.....started about  20 times, started kickback again. took all of the timig out  of the rpms  lower than 700 and it started great, exactly the same for 15  starts now i get runnon and starter kickback intermitenly.

belt drive?

Nah.  How about a better brand of motorcycle instead?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »

If I'm not mistaken didn't Harley put a one year warranty on the 2014 compensators?  I found my receipt, apparently it was purchased on October 24th 2013 through Kutter's along with the new primary cover.  I have been changing the primary fluid every 3,000 to 4,000 miles so I wouldn't have any big surprises.   Jerry I'm working on your recommendation, when my wife retires we will get a long distance tourer with a trailer.  Won't say for sure but it will have a reverse and one of our members who loves blue bikes just bought one.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »

Man alive! This compensator thing is driving me nuts!

I have a 2011 CVO Street Glide with about 26k on it and I'm guessing the comp is going bad. Again! First one was replaced somewhere around 11k.

I'd like to hear some feedback on if the 2014 compensator works better than the last style.

I love everything about this bike except for the sloppy connection between the motor and the rest of the drivetrain.

:nixweiss:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »

Well Ive had my comp in for 1,000 miles.....still getting starter kickback, intermitenly. I am changing out the starter from my second chrome aftermarket( forget brand at the moment) with theHd starter. I am hopefull thatthe HD starter will work better:
 It suspossedly has less tq. I know I didnt by thehighest tq chrome starter but I think I went one step above the HD starter. Less startng TQ may allow the Comp to function properly. It kinda makes sens to me, but we shall see. I am gonna run the leaking chrome starter this weekend then swap out the starter next week...Ill be posting up results.
Yes, I know I shouold swap it now, but there may be a warranty  involved so I want my indy to do it, and
that wont be until next week.  If I get stranded......Oh well, I have the  HD starter in my truck....lol
08 SERK, with bigger bump sticks, rhinehart true duels, and a T-max. diamond cut jugs and stuff.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »

I too am tired of starter kick back and chipping teeth off of the ring gear. I now have purchased the latest comp and am going to install it. I am also seriously thinking of the ezee start cams from S&S.

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »

If your fitting the latest version of the HD SE comp, you must fit the compensaver oil tray and composite thrust washer, otherwise it will go bad again, it does not get enough oil to the ramps and the spokes, with the compensaver it will, also there composite thrust washer to replace the radial thrust bearing will take the noise away.
WHUFC   COYI

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »

update,  installed a stock HD starter friday night. I replaced the brand new chrome aftermarket starter that was leaking oil threw the jackshaft and exiting via the weephole. It starts WAAAAY different now,  smoother, no kickback or loud noises. No puddle of oil under the bike.

Couple notes:
The F*&^)ing starter does not come with the GD o-ring so I had to run back to the dealer and it cost $6.88 for the o-ring. The parts guy, who is normally on the ball had no idea that the new starter did not come with it.
I called BS on that, I told him HD has a known problem with thier POS compensators and your probbaly selling a couple startes a week. He claimed ignorance and denied selling any of either. I do know th guy and was just messin with him so don't you all think I am acomplete azz. I am but not in his case.
The Harley tech I talked to about this actaully said the stock starter would perform better,  as the ramp up and cycling of the starter would not be beyond the capabilities of the compansator to compensate for.

It takes a bit longer to fire, liek 2.5 revs vice 1.5...my estimate IDK exactly how much longer it takes.

I alos took all of the timing advance out of the RPM ranges lower than 500, so no timing advance  during start.

ten starts sofar, quiet, smooth, totally differnt.

Well, after a compansator/ chain/ clutch pak/ ring gear, two starters, and around 2k this might eb fixed.

well, no idea about the longevity of the " new" compensator.

on to the next thing that fails!

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »

Trippy thanx for the advice I am going to add the compensaver to my list. BUT, there is a waiting list for them.....dam.

I get the idea that the needle bearing thrust washer is a poor fix. They are not designed to take back and forth motion.

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »

I get the idea that the needle bearing thrust washer is a poor fix. They are not designed to take back and forth motion.

Bub
[/quote]

And how dumb is that? needle bearing belong in two stroke lawn mower wrist pins, and select outboard motors, aranged arounf the shaft.
The needle bearing we get is arranged in a radius that looks like a CD with pellets melted into it.
Im sure the rollers will roll back and forth as the compensator compensates, but I think the problem will be when the comp opens up and slams shut on the needle bearings. I dont think the oil cup will help with that.
It seems better than the soft washer ( nylon I think) thatthey replace, so there is progress, perhaps. After we all break abunch of these we can by the next improved model and tear them up, too.

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.