Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley Radio Repair / Exchange Info  (Read 33848 times)

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
Harley Radio Repair / Exchange Info
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »

If you need to get your out of waranty radio fixed, here is the place,  They do a flat rate  exchange if you havent opened it up. You call with the VIN and mileage and radio PN and they give you a shipping tag.  If it unopened they will give you a flat rate exchange, otherwise they fix yours and it takes a week or so,

Customer Service & Repair

To speak with a RSI Customer Service Representative call 1-502-267-6768 or toll free at 1-877-655-9421. Monday through Friday 9 AM

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Harley Radio Repair / Exchange Info
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »

I have been needing to replace my radio because the display went out... until I found this post in the archives.

Thanks icybay, I sent off a service request email.

For those who are interested in repair, the web site is:

http://www.radiosound.com

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:09:01 AM »

i will be riding and my volume will go down to mute.... :nixweiss:.....increasing it will work until i let go and back down. like the switch is stuck. i can toggle through the settings, using the same switch until volume increase it and all is fine. except all the other functions go down. i unpluged my rears but the same. i have a new switch in route to me cause it seems obvious. any other suggestions??

thanks

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »

That's for the 05 and older Radio Sound radios.  Would be greatly surprised if that company is interested in touching the newer Harmon Kardons.

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »

Don - as you know we both went through the HK retrofit which initially was very cool, but eventually caused both of us headaches when our HK units went bad.  Before I gave up on the HK unit and went with the Sony/Hawgwired conversion, I tried to get info from HD dealers, the MOCO, HK and local electronics experts regarding repairs to the HK units.  Basically, there is no repair facility available to the general public, unlike the Radio Sound which manufactured and is still repairing '05-older HD radios.  Now, if your HK goes belly up and it's under warranty, it simply gets replaced.  If you are out of warranty, you can receive a refurbished unit through your local HD dealer.  Dealers in the Milwaukee area were quoting between $200-400 for the refurb radio, plus labor to yank the old and replace with the refurb.  Hard to believe a $1000 radio is pretty much a disposable item.  When you think about it, the HK radio is about the biggest scam HD has ever pulled off.  CVO Ultra owners get the NAV, CB, XM and Amp which really is one the the bike's biggest values, especially if, for example, you've got a bike that came only with the base HK radio.  If you want to upgrade and add all the peripherals, let's see...NAV $1000, XM $500, CB $300, High Output Amp $400 not to mention the various interface cables, switches, etc.  Even at 20% discount, you're still shelling out $2K in add ons.  I admit to being at the head of the line holding a sucker sign, but man...this is one Harley program that is really, really bad.  I wish Hawg Wired had come out with the conversion long before I started down the HK path.  PJ
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 02:52:05 PM by pj57 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »

Don - as you know we both went through the HK retrofit which initially was very cool, but eventually caused both of us headaches when our HK units went bad.  Before I gave up on the HK unit and went with the Sony/Hawgwired conversion, I tried to get info from HD dealers, the MOCO, HK and local electronics experts regarding repairs to the HK units.  Basically, there is no repair facility available to the general public, unlike the Radio Sound which manufactured and is still repairing '05-older HD radios.  Now, if your HK goes belly up and it's under warranty, it simply gets replaced.  If you are out of warranty, you can receive a refurbished unit through your local HD dealer.  Dealers in the Milwaukee area were quoting between $200-400 for the refurb radio, plus labor to yank the old and replace with the refurb.  Hard to believe a $1000 radio is pretty much a disposable item.  When you think about it, the HK radio is about the biggest scam HD has ever pulled off.  CVO Ultra owners get the NAV, CB, XM and Amp which really is one the the bike's biggest values, especially if, for example, you've got a bike that came only with the base HK radio.  If you want to upgrade and add all the peripherals, let's see...NAV $1000, XM $500, CB $300, High Output Amp $400 not to mention the various interface cables, switches, etc.  Even at 20% discount, you're still shelling out $2K in add ons.  I admit to being at the head of the line holding a sucker sign, but man...this is one Harley program that is really, really bad.  I wish Hawg Wired had come out with the conversion long before I started down the HK path.  PJ

Too true Pete.  Too true.  I've told anyone who has asked about the HK upgrade to strongly consider the Sony or other aftermarket options if they want more boom in their box.  Was doing that even before my own HK radio failed.

It was an interesting retrofit.  No doubt made even more so by the fact that Harley said we couldn't do it.  But when my own radio died I never for a moment considered doing the same thing again.  The cost involved and hassle of hacking the firmware was too large. 

This Sony replacement really could be a disposable radio.  Yet for purposes of its use as a radio alone it's still better in almost every way. 

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »

Don't you loose the CB and intercom with the Sony retro?

That is the only reason I will stay with the HK... I use both.

The web site has a price for repair on 1995 to current radios... I've sent them an email and will advise on reply.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:56:02 PM by murphy »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »

i will be riding and my volume will go down to mute.... :nixweiss:.....increasing it will work until i let go and back down. like the switch is stuck. i can toggle through the settings, using the same switch until volume increase it and all is fine. except all the other functions go down. i unpluged my rears but the same. i have a new switch in route to me cause it seems obvious. any other suggestions??

thanks

TN

Have you tried the latest download from Harley.com?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »

Damn... just got this email:

"Sorry but Radio Sound does not service the Harmon Kardon radios. You will have to seek service through your Harley-Davidson dealer because the company that does the service wil not accept them from anyone except an authorized dealer.

Best regards,

John Smith
Senior Technical Advisor
johns@radiosound.com"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »

thanks

TN

Yeah, ride the SERK!!! ::) ??? ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »

Don't you loose the CB and intercom with the Sony retro?

That is the only reason I will stay with the HK... I use both.

The web site has a price for repair on 1995 to current radios... I've sent them an email and will advise on reply.

I believe Pete had done the retrofit far enough to have added some of those functions as well.  I never had though.  Just the radio here.

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »

Murphy - I have a SEEG2 which never had the CB as standard equipment. When I did the retrofit it allowed me to have the CB which I really wanted.  Installation while relatively easy required adding a speaker switch, PTT/Squelch switches and the console microphone jack.  I guess I can take away some sense of accomplishment because for about a month everything worked great.  Not sure what a used NAV, XM and CB modules will fetch on the used parts market, but I'll be listing those items for sale here and Ebay in the next week.  Perhaps I will recoup at least part of my loss. I'm not sure what HD's contract is with HK, but given the amount of failures, glitches, etc. experienced by folks on this site, maybe the MOCO should look elsewhere for audio gear - PJ 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:57:04 PM by pj57 »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »

Have you tried the latest download from Harley.com?

tried it today and it went more goofy. :nixweiss:

maybe it is me.

sometimes it works right.

TN

edit: went to dealer today and used there update disk. seemed to take more time to process. we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:20:47 PM by TN »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »

i fixed it.

TN

tlabonte

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 10:53:45 PM »

Hey Pj57, My wife has a 06 RG her Hk radio is going out want play half of the time its not a short in the lines anywhere. We're thinking about going with an aftermarket stereo system. What model is the Sony radio your using and will it fit the opening on the RG? Also does the HD radio connections plugin work with the Sony? She also has the Hawgwired amp and speakers. Need help with this!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.