Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Head swap question  (Read 974 times)

hoody

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 now a 117", stage 4 heads, 10.5:1, HPI 58mm TB, Bob Wood 408-6 cams, Borezilla 2-1, SAE dyno 141Tq/139Hp no radio, no windshield, just fast!
    • Battlefield Motorcycle Club
Head swap question
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:32:49 AM »

I just need the expert experience of the site members. Am I correct in thinking that a set of 103" heads from a 05' SEEG will bolt up (and work ok) on my 04' SE Deuce 95" stock motor? my thought is to start my build up with the heads, cam, ac, 2-1 pipes and a thundermax ecu, and see what that get's me. Thanks for the help

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Head swap question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:22:26 AM »

I just need the expert experience of the site members. Am I correct in thinking that a set of 103" heads from a 05' SEEG will bolt up (and work ok) on my 04' SE Deuce 95" stock motor? my thought is to start my build up with the heads, cam, ac, 2-1 pipes and a thundermax ecu, and see what that get's me. Thanks for the help

The heads you're considering when used in stock form aren't anything special.  Hemispheric shape that isn't especially well designed so far as performance is concerned.  Also as part of the package including the pistons they are mated with they provide pretty low compression. Their design had EPA in mind as much or more than any performance concern.  They can be rebuilt and reworked.  But it's likely cheaper to buy a set of some other head.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »

The heads you're considering when used in stock form aren't anything special.  Hemispheric shape that isn't especially well designed so far as performance is concerned.  Also as part of the package including the pistons they are mated with they provide pretty low compression. Their design had EPA in mind as much or more than any performance concern.  They can be rebuilt and reworked.  But it's likely cheaper to buy a set of some other head.

To get those heads done right it's $1200...Dont' ask me how I know>>>>Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »

To get those heads done right it's $1200...Dont' ask me how I know>>>>Greg

You are correct. But you can still make some good HP with the stock castings. If you are not trying to keep the stock look of the Motor/Bike the sky is the limit.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 10:22:24 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 08:13:56 PM »

Have your stock heads ported,cc'd and decked for the correct compression for the cam you will be using....the CVO 103 heads have ports too big for good velocity at mid lifts(.500) , have like zero "squish" for good turbulance and mix in the chamber, and a chamber that is soooo big you have to run some sort of pop-up piston to make any good compression .....they will keep a stack of newspapers from blowing around in your garage though.......course with enough money and welding rod..anything can be made "better".
JMHO
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »

JMHO - forget the CVO 103 heads for your 95" build.  As mentioned earlier, it will take considerable work and expense to turn these heads into a true performance part.  You would be better served having your existing TC88 heads modified by someone like Branch Flometrics, or look at the offerings from some of the other aftermarket folks like Headquarters, Edlebrock, S&S, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.