Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Tie down strap location for trailering a Dresser.  (Read 23546 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Tie down strap location for trailering a Dresser.
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »

Cars have a low COG and don't tip over though. Without some compression or blocking the lower frame to prevent compression, a bike will rock and if using straps with hooks, allows the possibility of spitting a hook

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »

GREAT thread,

When I strap mine down I put 2x6's under the frame and draw the straps down so the bike snugs up on the blocks or I have used my center jack and once the straps are all tight I snug the jack up to the frame.

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »

Again, if you look at the way Chip has the bike strapped down on the trailer, the bike has no suspension compression, and the bike will not MOVE side to side. Trust me, we had (2) CVO's
strapped down this way in a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer and neither bike hit the other nor the walls, so side movement is NOT an issue. We did over 1800 miles to and from MV over all kinds roads.

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 09:29:38 AM »

Just curious.

What do you guys consider a long enough distance to trailer your bike instead of riding it?

As I keep adding years I wondering if I should buy a trailer or just sell the bike and buy a great sport touring car.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »

Our use of a trailer depends.

1. If we need to get there in a days travel and the miles to get there are over 500 miles then we consider using the trailer.

2. If we are going to stay for longer than 5 days we also consider using a trailer, (wife loves to bring the kitchen sink, and Neal's coffee pot to MV)  :)    Oh and we bring our Canadian buddies tee shirts when ordered. etc etc.

3. Sometimes we just use the trailer because we don't feel like riding that route, case in point is going to MV as we have ridden over the roads there many times over and there isn't much to see, (just want to get there mentality).  Also to RibFest for same reason, except we rode this past year, but will trailer next time.

We love to ride everywhere, (rode 20K on it this year) but I think there are times when you just don't want to for whatever reason so a trailer is a nice back-up when you have those moments.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:54:36 AM by gadgetz »
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »

I love a good discussion!!!    Willy, you just answered your own question. If it comes down to trailering or selling the bike---by all means trailer it to where you need to. And you're right, the older I get, the more those last 200-300 miles matter.  Riding should be fun.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »

1. If we need to get there in a days travel and the miles to get there are over 500 miles then we consider using the trailer.

2. If we are going to stay for longer than 5 days we also consider using a trailer, (wife loves to bring the kitchen sink, and Neal's coffee pot to MV)  :)    Oh and we bring our Canadian buddies tee shirts when ordered. etc etc.

3. Sometimes we just use the trailer because we don't feel like riding that route, case in point is going to MV as we have ridden over the roads there many times over and there isn't much to see, (just want to get there mentality).  Also to RibFest for same reason, except we rode this past year, but will trailer next time.

We love to ride everywhere, (rode 20K on it this year) but I think there are times when you just don't want to for whatever reason so a trailer is a nice back-up when you have those moments.

"everything but the kitchen sink"  I Love It Maggie valley this year was the 1st time we trailered our bikes anywhere and because I modded the car trailer for bikes we had plenty of room, so we brought every thing but the kitchen sink too, luckey our room had an xtra bed for a work bench. I told Sue after unloading our things, look at that guy he rode up on his bike that's it beer in hand he's here he's done. of course it was nice taking one rainey day to bomb around town in the truck after dropping the trailer. Next year probably trailer but no kitchen sink.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »

The only time I was really glad I hauled enclosed was on a trip to the Outer Banks one year. We pulled into our ocean front parking in the middle of a NorEaster that lasted 3 days. Pulled our spic & span scoots out mid-week and rode for 3 days. Our truck/trailer was covered with 1/8" of dry salt spray. 90% of the time a light open trailer would be a godsend. Ever tie 4 bikes down in 100 deg weather.....now do it in a box!!!!!!!!

I have a friend who solved that problem. He put a reefer on it.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:25 PM »

I've heard it said out west here "that the only thing in Maggy Valley with more miles than the CVOs are the trailers"   :o
Don't shoot the messenger, we  own a double Kendon and a toy hauler. 

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2014, 08:36:23 AM »

A friend and I were talking about an enclosed trailer. Something like 12' or so that could hold a couple of bikes.

Then use the trailer as our camping hideout with either hammocks or blow up mattresses. We had all kinds of ideas for fold out benches/tables to a kitchen sink.

By the way, Hwy 70 from St. Louis to Denver. What a fun stretch of pavement.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »

Now this is a man that really loves his wife...We also will be bringing MORE stuff next year, a larger coffee pot is on my list and a few more things.  Lots of luck Randy, next year I reserved a LARGER room so we can bring more stuff, and next year I am buying a woodcarved stand up bear to take home too...lol :trailer:  we may even need a trailer for our trailer...... :nervous: :nervous:
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.