Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Suitable neck grease  (Read 4661 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Suitable neck grease
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »

What is a suitable neck grease to use for my steering head bearing? My front end is squeaking when you move it side to side and today and yesterday it feels almost like I am riding on a low tire or getting into those grooves in the road but the tire pressures are perfect and the tires have no sign of any abnormal wear. They only have about 6k on them.

I have a trip planned on Friday so I would like to lube it in the AM to see if it takes care of the squeaking and weird feeling.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

johnbv

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7- Black & Orange
Re: Suitable neck grease
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:40:54 AM »

I use the same stuff the H-D Dealer supposedly uses, H-D Special Purpose Grease.

mark

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:40:27 AM »

HD sells a grease for about $10-$12 a tube (hard to believe it isn't more expensive).  I used a product called Green Grease that I got from an auto parts store.  If you've never lubed the steering neck, it will take about 100 pumps to fill it up.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »

The nearest dealer is 50 miles away. I work the night shift today and leave tomorrow no time to travel there. I need a grease I can get a the local O'Reillys, Advance Auto, or Wally world. I think I will try the Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »

Got some Lucas from O'Reilly the X treme stuff. Pumped a whole damn tube in there before it came out the top and bottom!

mark

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »

Mobil1 grease would be equivalent to what I used.  The Green Grease is a synthetic, water proof, high temp grease.

mark

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »

Got some Lucas from O'Reilly the X treme stuff. Pumped a whole damn tube in there before it came out the top and bottom!
Yeah, the steering neck isn't filled at the factory so it takes forever to fill it up.  Take some paper towels on your trip because as the temp increases, you'll start to see the grease oozing out out of the bottom.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »

Yeah, the steering neck isn't filled at the factory so it takes forever to fill it up.  Take some paper towels on your trip because as the temp increases, you'll start to see the grease oozing out out of the bottom.
I hear ya. This Lucas is good to 560 degrees so hoping it didn't drip!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »

in 2002, i lubed the neck on my sportster.  to this day, grease is still oozing out the bottom  :coolblue:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:01 AM »

in 2002, i lubed the neck on my sportster.  to this day, grease is still oozing out the bottom  :coolblue:
I hear ya. Still better then the bearings going bad or binding.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

The so-called "special purpose" grease Harley sells specifically for steering head bearings claims to be less likely to liquefy and run out.  Strangely enough, when I bought my first tube of that stuff for my '99 Dyna there was an inch of liquid in the tube.  So much for that BS claim.  I still had the rest of that tube on the shelf when it came time to lube the '05 SEEG and I used the rest of it filling up the chamber in the steering head through the zerk.  Within days liquid was collecting in the top of the lower fork bracket that I had to sop up with paper towels.  Not just oozing grease, but liquid.  So once again, I call BS on that Special Purpose overpriced grease.

One thing you may run into when changing to a different brand and type of grease is a compatibility problem.  Rather than disassemble my SEEG's front end and clean all the old Harley grease out, I just switched to the Green high temp grease from Advance Auto or Auto Zone (I forget which).  It seemed to be fine for the first year, but the following year the steering felt "sticky", for want of a better description.  This time I pumped enough of that green stuff through the steering head (another full tube plus what I had left over from the first time) until I felt reasonably assured I had really flushed all the old crap out.  The steering has been fine since.  And while the green stuff will still ooze out, it isn't the runny liquid crap I got with the Harley grease that got all over the front of the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »

Sounds like a plan Jerry. This stuff from Lucas had no runny portion. Time will tell.  I have another tube if need be.

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »

I use this stuff.  Not too runny

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-waterproof-grease

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:44:16 AM »

I don't like to pump the steering head full so I actually drop the stem out. Yes it's a pita, but, no drips!
I use a wheel bearing grease from the local parts house that is almost perfectly clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »

That green chit gets on all my clothes.  :-[ >:( Aaaarrrrrgh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.