Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 15 Road Glide vs 14 CVO Road King  (Read 3846 times)

speeder

• Junior CVO Member
15 Road Glide vs 14 CVO Road King
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »

I'm itching to buy a new bike. I was originally planning on buying a new Road Glide Special. However my dealer has a 14 CVO Road King left over that he is willing to give me a great deal on. They are both going to end up not to far from each other price wise so that becomes a non issue. For the first time ever I am actually struggling between which bike to buy. I personally think the new fairing works great on the RG and Nav and Stereo are nice features to have. Then again the versatility of the RK is hard to beat.... I'm trying to gather some opinions. What do you think?
Thanks

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Re: 15 Road Glide vs 14 CVO Road King
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »

I say neither one.  Hold out for the CVO RG Ultra!

Honestly, tho' - it depends on what you want.  The RG is made for gobbling up the miles.  The RK is (dare I say) more of a bar hopper in the base configuration.

Those CVO RKs are nice, tho'!  Figure out what type of riding you want to do.   I guarantee a long day on the RG will not be as fatiguing as one on the RK.

This is what we call "First World Problems".  Worse problems to have.

Cheers!

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

mark

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »

I guess it depends on how you're going to use the bike - how do you ride?  Do you leave on Saturday morning, ride 200 to 400 miles, before coming home?  Do you take long bike trips over several days?  If so, I'd opt for the new RG.  If you're more of a short distance rider or bar hopper, the CVO RK may be the way to go...lots of bling to show off on that bike at Hooters Bike Night.

Based on my riding habits, I'd buy the RG...but that's me.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »

If you can wait... hold off until the RGC CVO comes out. 

The RK CVO is a great bike.  I just got one... but it is not a replacement for an RGC CVO...

And I hope this comes out right... but after you have a CVO, going for a base RGC is just not acceptable... you get spoiled by all the details on the CVO... at least I did.  Reason why I went to look at the RGC and came out with the RK CVO...

Some of the things I noticed immediately on the ride from the dealer after I traded my 2012 RGC CVO

The RK CVO sure feels like a much smaller bike... lighter and more agile... yes, I know that it is the same frame, size and almost the same weight... but just feels lighter and smaller...

I miss having the gauge cluster within line of sight... hate to look down to check on the speed and rpms... this should pass as I am only doing that to maintain the rpms in check during break-in period

You sure feel more protected from everything behind the fairing of the RGC. No buffeting on the Road King for me... but then again, I am 5'7" and shrinking. But glad to see that there were no issues with the wind at speeds of 65-70-80 (I kept the bike under 3K rpms... break in period you know...). It will take some time to get used to not having the fairing...  So the comment above of being less tired after a long trip on the RGC versus the RK hold true...

'14 RK CVO - Beautiful bike. Love the tribal details on the paint. This is what first got my attention when they came out. Beautiful paint job... loved it in green, orange, or titanium... picked Orange because the wife liked it. I could have gone with either one of the three color options.

Do not get me wrong... do not regret getting the RK (and the deals they are willing to do on them is a mayor deciding factor)... regret not being able to keep both :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:42:04 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »

Well, you will save atleast $15k by buying a CVO RK if you can get $4k off msrp vs what you will pay for a CVO RG.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »

I have the CVO road king and love it but I am more of a weekend rider ( 200 to 400 miles at a time, usually no more). Very comfortable (with regular road king windshield, not the standard CVO, totally inefficient if you are over 5'7").
Definitely more than a bar hopper though. Cruising at 80 to 85 for hours no problem. Very agile and incredibly responsive (added power duals monster rounds)
Probably not the perfect bike for 600 to 700 mile days but that is not the type of riding I do.
Depends what you intend to use it for...
Great for cruising around town without the windshield as well...beautiful bike...(I have the orange and black one)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »

I've owned both and loved both. the 07 CVO RK was nice with all the bling but by the time I sold it and bought the 09 CVO RG, I had added a Hoppe fairing hard bags and a bunch or other bagger stuff. If you ride one up the RK will work. But once I got the RG CVO I would never go back!

BigLew

speeder

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have noted that im looking at the Road Glide Special not the CVO RG.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have noted that im looking at the Road Glide Special not the CVO RG.

We understood correctly ;). All the comments shared are still valid.

But you are comparing a CVO versus a Non-CVO bike...
A non-fairing versus a fairing bike...

Ride both and then decide.... Like I said, a CVO spoils you with everything it has.... A Road Glide Custom is, imho, the best touring bike (sexy without all the stuff the comes with an Ultra)...

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

NETacoma03Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »

CVO RK vs similar price on RG Special, I would go CVO.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »

CVO RK vs similar price on RG Special, I would go CVO.

Which begs the question... what deal are you really getting if both are priced the same... There are serious discounts on the RK CVOs now.  I recently got mine for 27K out the door with aprox 1.5K in add ons included in that price.

So what price, oto, are they giving you on each of the bikes?  And watch out for everything, I got 3.99 rate for financing.  You can get 2.99 if you just got your riders edge course...

Best of luck and let us know what you decide on.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 07:01:24 AM »

New RG Special with the much improved stereo And front suspension and with the money you save, sell the engine and replace it with an S&S 124 and have more power and still have a warranty.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

speeder

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »

Im getting the 14 CVO RK for 5K off with no freight or set up so its $23,500.00. The RG Special is $23,000.00 with no frieght or set up.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »

Im getting the 14 CVO RK for 5K off with no freight or set up so its $23,500.00. The RG Special is $23,000.00 with no frieght or set up.

That is a great deal on the RK CVO... 
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »

Book it!!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.