Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rear shocks on 2014 CVO Limited  (Read 6570 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Rear shocks on 2014 CVO Limited
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

Looking for some recommendations on some better rear shocks for a CVO Limited.. Tired of the crappy shocks.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Rear shocks on 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »

Traxion sells Bitubo's..
Howard at Motorcycle Metal sells Ohlins and JRI's..
Works performance in California.

Not had much luck with Progressive 440's but they have much better rear shocks now.  I have the same set of Work's on my 05, 10, and now 14 (have been rebuilt twice) and like them.

If I were buying again, I believe the JRI's, Ohlins and the Bitubo's to be a higher quality shock but don't know if they ride any better.

Get the shocks setup properly is the main thing.

Shocks are like seats, handlebars, exhaust-everyone does not like the same thing.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »

I installed a pair of Bitubo 330mm WME's over the winter and like them. WME's don't have a reservoir and were recommended by Dan at Traxxion for the type of riding I do. They were set up for my weight and I've never had to make an adjustment as they ride well. Can't say from experience versus the JRI's or Ohlins, but all three shocks received good reviews on the forum when I was researching. Call Dan at Traxxion to discuss if you wish - tell him you're a forum member.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »

I went with Ohlins, love'em

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »

Anyone try the Arnott air ride...If so was it worth the $$$$$$
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »

Went with the JRI's B shocks. Can send back if i dont like them.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

MGCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »

I was considering the Progressive 944’s  (944-4002UT) has anybody tried these yet? Any likes or dislikes on them?

CannonBall

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »

I had JRI B 13"'er from Howard on my 12 RGC. They made a world of difference. No more bottoming out or pogo effect, no more hard rear sag on launch (142hp). Most importantly, no more ouch wtf from my wife when we hit a bump. Sadly, I didn't pull them from the bike at trade. Off to motorcyclemetal I go!!

ETA - I don't believe that JRI offers anything ground breaking, except maybe the value. The key is to understand on how shocks work, oil vs air, reservoirs, emulsified, etc. next step is to have them built with the proper spring rate by a pro. One size does not fit all.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:00:57 PM by CannonBall »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »

Progressive 944's for the money may be best purchase ever. Take time to set them correctly for sag/load and they are great.

dwarfsuzuki

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

Give Terry Davis @ Terrycable a call. He has a great shock and his customer service is excellent.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »

I had the Ohlins Motor Officer shocks installed at Daytona - Ohlins set them up and I have not had to touch them; Preload, compression, and rebound seem perfect. 

The service manager took my bike home several times after the engine rebuild; at my request.  I next saw him at a race where the dealer had a booth.  He pretty much chased me down in front of the GM to tell me that the handling of my bike to stock was night and day.  Same feeling I got when I had them installed.  Planning on doing the front with Ohlins this winter.

Spada84
NoSofa!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »

I thought my bike was fine till I read all your posts raving on the aftermarket shocks. I'd love to try a pair and see the difference before I invest. BTW how much does a shock job cost including labour?

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »

Take the bags off and take some weight off of that bike from a jack and a board under the rear tire and you have 2 bolts for each shock.  Nothing tough there.  Not trying to be funny I just wouldn't pay someone for such a simple job but then again I have the time.  For those that are interested I have 40,000 miles on this set of Bitubo's and yesterday Traxion sent me a quote for rebuilding them and it is $150.00 per shock, so it will be close to $600.00 to service the AK-20 front forks, rebuild the rear shocks and shipping.  Actually Howard is the one that advised me to have them rebuilt.  Now that I have this information that is one question I would ask the next vendor.  What mileage do you recommend that they be serviced, what is involved and what is the total cost.  My rebuilding cost are starting to catch up with the purchase price.  My neck & back could never go back to a bike with poor suspension, no mater how nice it looked.  I would not go cheap on the suspension, I would look at Bitubo's, Ohlins & Works Performance, I'm not a fan of Progressives.  It would be nice to be able to try them before you buy them, but I don't see that happening unless you know someone that can help you out.   Once you make a purchase you really need to learn how to set the SAG and what settings you use while alone, two up and two up & loaded with gear. I just write the info on a shelf with a Sharpie, the adjustments will make all the difference.  What ever you get the better Dealer's will often set the shocks up to your weight & riding style and offer suggestions to try for different loads.   The right suspension will make a huge difference in enjoying your ride.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »

No offense take at all and I do have a tool box and know how to use a wrench. IU am mostly lazy but that costs money. How much do rear shocks cost then?

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »

How much do rear shocks cost then?

I purchased a pair of Bitubo WME 330mm rear shocks from Dan at Traxxion Dynamics last December. These shocks don't have the reservoir per Dan's recommendation. Cost was $518 shipped for the pair, set up for my weight. I believe they still offer a forum discount.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.