Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Friction Zone Adjusted  (Read 10338 times)

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
Friction Zone Adjusted
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »

To her in today and the dealer bled the hydro clutch because it wasn't engaging until 3/4 release.  Very small friction zone.  Much better now as it starts to grab at right about 50%.  Just putting it out there because I was being told it couldn't be adjusted but the bleeding of the system after a few hundred miles sure did help.

take care...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Friction Zone Adjusted
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »

Friction zone wasn't "technically" adjusted.... getting the air out the system has corrected a problem and now the clutch (friction zone) is where it should be. This (air in the system) has been a noted problem w/the hydraulic clutches and one of the first things mentioned when people start having issues with them. Sounds like you got a dealer (tech) that is on the ball and is aware of this issue and took care of you. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »

You're right and that is exactly how the tech explained it to me.  I was probably just conveying it the best I could.  Either way you are definitely correct about the dealership taking care of me.  I see them each week at bike nite and they ask how everything is.  When I explained about the concern on the clutch they told me to get it in next day with no appointment.  They took it straight in and I was out in an hour or so.  They also updated the radio to the latest.

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:38:05 PM »

Hey all,
My first post here. I just read this thread and I am experiencing the same issue on my 12 RG. I have to ask this in addition to the friction zone adjustment, I also have this whining/whirring sound in the trans/primary area when I downshift into first just before coming to a stop. Has anyone had a similiar issue like this? I have never had a hyd clutch but it sure is a weird feeling coming from a cabled clutch.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »

Hey all,
My first post here. I just read this thread and I am experiencing the same issue on my 12 RG. I have to ask this in addition to the friction zone adjustment, I also have this whining/whirring sound in the trans/primary area when I downshift into first just before coming to a stop. Has anyone had a similiar issue like this? I have never had a hyd clutch but it sure is a weird feeling coming from a cabled clutch.

That whine you hear coasting down in first gear isn't related to the clutch, it's the noise made by the straight cut gears that are used for 1st gear in the Cruise Drive trans.  Pretty much the same as what we all experienced with the old 5 speed trans btw. 

As noted by Fired00d, if your clutch has air in the hydraulic system, getting that air completely removed with a thorough bleeding will return the operation of the system to normal.  However, normal is all you will get, there is no free play adjustment to allow you to alter the point of engagement if that's what you want.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »

Just to update...  I have noticed that the friction zone is now back to being in the last inch to inch and a half of clutch travel.  I am going to mention it again at the 1000 mile check.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »

Whenever I've had air in any of my hydraulic clutch systems, prior to bleating the clutch the engagement/diss engagement was closer to the grip, not further away.
Bleeding the system only brought the friction zone further out.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »

Whenever I've had air in any of my hydraulic clutch systems, prior to bleating the clutch the engagement/diss engagement was closer to the grip, not further away.
Bleeding the system only brought the friction zone further out.

:2vrolijk_21:   That's the way it's always worked in the past, and I can't imagine the physics involved changing.  If the clutch engages too late (with the lever almost completely out), that sounds more like too much fluid in the master cylinder such that the actuator isn't allowed to fully retract, or perhaps a bad actuator or master cylinder. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »

Friction zone is a niggling issue with the hydro clutches because there is no provision for adjusting it like there is on cable clutches. I guess I have just gotten used to where it is on my bike.

Bear in mind that as the clutch plates wear, more fluid will be displaced into the master cylinder, and it will become more full.

As Jerry said, the master cylinder should not be overfilled. If the master cylinder gets too full, the clutch can start slipping because it can't fully engage because of all the fluid pressure in the system. This would normally only really be a problem if the MC was almost totally full with very little air at the top, and after the clutch plates have worn significantly... but it can happen.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »

Got it... It is just a bit weird feeling when I am trying to use it to get through low speed turns.  I am always concerned that my fingers will slip since it is right at the edge of release any way.  I think I have gotten used to it but it is always in the back of my mind. 

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »

It seems like there is a problem in the hydraulic clutch system, I had to have mine bled every 10-15k miles on my 2011 FLTRUSE. I hope my new 2015 FLTRUSE lasts better and longer than the other one.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »

I have just gotten used to where mine engages...  It is the last inch or so before being completely released.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 08:04:49 PM »

I had mine checked when it was new & I felt like you do about engaging so far out. It is the nature of the beast! It's not like an adjustable cable. You will get used to it. It just releases at a different point. I have changed out the fluid & it does help. I have pulled a trailer many miles & have no problem with the clutch slipping!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

Just changed and bled my clutch. It engaged right at the grip when I finished....and did not clunk. A few minutes later it engaged farther out and slammed into gear again. I did get a lot of bubbles (air) out when I first bled it.
SO, how do you bleed these? I bleed while pulling the leaver back, shut and released the lever. Should I have pulled all the way back and then opened the bleeder?
 :nixweiss:
RETIRED! :fireman:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »

Book says to pump the lever three times, hold in, open the bleeder valve, shut the valve, and repeat the procedure three times. Be sure to keep the reservoir from getting toO low.

If you do this with the cover off, pump SLOWLY or you can easily squirt fluid out of the reservoir!

Best to have a helper do the squeezing or the opening/closing of the bleeder valve. Tough to do both by yourself.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.