Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: d00d's Hip Replacement  (Read 9447 times)

Bagger

Re: d00d's Hip Replacement
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »

That night she had surgery to reduce the fracture.  The reduction was closed, requiring and incision long only long enough to place the screws.  9.5 hours later, this is what her hip looked like.

Bagger

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 11:57:24 AM »

After that surgery she was placed in a spica cast.  She was in that thing for 6 weeks.  To make a long story short, we were cautioned that since the ball went without a blood supply for more than four hours, she would likely develop Avascular Necrosis.  In November of 2004, she developed AVN.  In December of 2004 the hardware was removed in preparation for a Free Vascularized Fibular Graft.  That surgery involved harvesting her fibula from her left calf and using it as a graft in her left femoral neck.  We had to take her to Duke University for that surgery.  This is what her hip looked like after the FVFG.

Bagger

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 12:02:31 PM »

Today, though she still goes through extensive PT, she is walking very well.  She has lost a great deal of range of motion.  We are going back to UAB in February for another evaluation and possibly more surgery.  Through it all, she has been a real trooper.  Each time I think life is throwing me constant curve balls, I come back to my senses and want to kick my own a$$.  Despite this, and other challenges, she is the happiest young lady I've ever known.

Gary......... Renea, Stef and I wish you a speedy recovery.  We're right there with you.  You WILL do fine.  God Bless you brother!

Henry

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 12:43:18 PM »

d00d, All the best! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Wishing you a speedy recovery. Make sure you get the Extended Warranty on that hip! ;) Hoist!   8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 01:02:07 PM »

Same thing. Like I said before... so far so good!!
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »

Gary...If you could share  the hospital information with us before you go in, it might be well served for us to offer our condolences to the attending nurses well in advance of your surgery.... ::)

d00d, Nurses, Morphine... :o :o  We better do what we can to keep Wifey out of the room so d00d won't get in trouble... ;D ;)

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 01:44:37 PM »

I'll share my experience.  I'm sure that you remember my motorcycle accident two and a half years ago......shattered left jaw, left arm, left hip, left leg.  The threw a bunch of titanium in my body at all those places.

I lived with pain on a daily basis in my hip and eighteen months later it had grown back well enough that they could now go in and give me an artificial hip (about a year ago).  While they already had several models of artificial hip on the market, they had just released the new model.  It consists of all three pieces being titanium (the other models had nylon and other materials) and it's projected life span (it depends on the amount of rotations it gets.....depending on how active the person is) is twenty plus years at minamum.  The doc told me that it may very well last me the rest of my life.

Let me be the first to tell you that the pain that I'd lived with for that eighteen months was gone immediatly and I was up out of bed the same evening of the morning that I had surgery.  I went home two days later and back to work in thirty days.

A side note.....in the waiting room, I met a carpenter that was back for his fourth hip.  He said that he'd wore the first three out.....and he attributed a big part of that to his carreer.  His was a motorcycle accident, too.  But just hearing his story and that he lives a pretty normal life sure gave me hope.  Today, I live a pretty normal life.......I can't run but I walk pretty normal and I'm pain free most of the time (still have some pain in my foot from time to time).

You'll be fine Gary.......and you'll get a card for your wallet that says you have implants. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »

You'll be fine Gary.......and [highlight]you'll get a card for your wallet that says you have implants[/highlight]. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The bionic d00d .... beeps at airports and other fun places!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] ;D ;D ;)
We're all rootin for ya Gary ... nothing like the voice of experience though... good words JCZ. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 05:20:20 PM »

Gary,
        You've got my number. Call anytime for any reason. S'pecially the first couple days when you're totally out of it on morphine. I'll be waitin to hear from stoned00d   ;D  And remember there ain't no tapout in physical therapy.  8-)

Vaya con Dios
                    B B

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 08:12:25 PM »

[highlight] Re: d00d's Hip Replacement
Reply #7 - Today at 6:40am  Quote   Gary...If you could share  the hospital information with us before you go in, it might be well served for us to offer our condolences to the attending nurses well in advance of your surgery....  [/highlight]

Yeah, what he said and of course:
 [smiley=worthless.gif]

Seriously, best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery and short stay in rehab.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Cheers!!
 [smiley=drink.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 08:41:14 PM »

Mi amigo Gary....some of us have asked you to post pics....but make sure which ones you are posting....we wouldn't like a confusion instead of femur/hip something else........ [smiley=nervous.gif]
My prayers are with you........and my two angels  [smiley=angel.gif] [smiley=ons_1.gif]that are in heaven will take care of you...you will be fine bro.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

God Bless you!!

Jorge
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 08:48:19 PM by jegomez »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 08:55:57 PM »

Gary...If you could share  the hospital information with us before you go in, it might be well served for us to offer our condolences to the attending [size=20]nurses[/size] well in advance of your surgery.... ::)

Nurses......Gary like nurses [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Re: d00d's Hip Replacement - Jan. 15, 2007
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 10:28:01 PM »

The big day will be January 15, 2007. When I'm able I'll have someone post that I made it through the surgery. Thanks for asking.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

d00d,

Sorry to hear that you are going to have surgery....best of luck to you and get back to posting as quick as you can thereafter!    

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »

d00d ,

good luck to you and we,ll be thinking and praying for you . Hope you have a speedy recovery so that you can get back on that pumpkin of yours just in time for riding season.
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 12:11:23 AM »

Gary,

All we go well...no worries!  We will be praying for a fast recovery.
Looking forward to many years of getting together with you and all
of our CVO buddies.

Barry
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.