Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Before you buy that next foreign auto - Read This!  (Read 1429 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Before you buy that next foreign auto - Read This!
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette - 12/19/06

Ford and General Motors have taken turns besting the Toyota Camry in quality surveys for the past two years, but if you talk to many Americans – especially the ones who would never consider supporting home-based auto companies – you'd never know it.

Last year, the Chevrolet Impala beat the Camry in initial quality, according to J.D. Power & Associates. And Consumer Reports just announced that both the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan scored higher than both the Camry and the Honda Accord this year.

Even as GM and Ford have accumulated award after award on vehicle quality, you'd almost never know about such quality gains made by American companies.

There's also the mythical perception that foreign automakers produce the most fuel efficient cars and that Detroit only makes gas-guzzlers when the truth is that all automakers – including Toyota, Honda and Hyundai-Kia alike – have allowed fuel economy to slide in the past 20 years since they all now sell bigger trucks and more SUVs.

Perhaps the biggest perception problem is that American automobile companies GM and Ford – Chrysler is now German-owned – squander all their money on plants overseas and foreign automakers build their factories in the United States. Foreign car lovers will surely point to Kia's plans to build its first-ever U.S. plant in Georgia, but they probably won't mention that they received $400 million in tax giveaways to do it, which translates into $160,000 per job.

Among the many benefits for the foreign-owned company, your tax dollars are going to be used for road improvements surrounding the complex, complete with flower beds and other beautification features. Hey, as long as we're going to allow states to bid for private jobs with our public tax dollars, we might as well make it look good, right?

And the foreign car lovers will probably also not tell you (or maybe they just don't know or don't want you to know) that GM and Ford pour more money into existing American facilities than foreign automakers spend on new plants, usually with little or no tax breaks. GM has already spent more than $500 million upgrading two transmission plants this year, and has spent nearly a billion dollars over the last decade, for example, for facility upgrades in Texas.

And what do GM and Ford get for making their existing plants more efficient? It isn't tax breaks. Instead, they get accusations of not being "competitive" enough! Maybe here I should also mention that the average domestic parts content for Kia is 3 %, while the average domestic parts content of Ford and GM is 78 % and 74 %, respectively. This means that buying a U.S.-assembled (or even foreign-assembled, for that matter) GM or Ford supports more American jobs than a U.S.-assembled car or truck with a foreign nameplate.

Fortunately for our benefit, the U.S. remains the overall global leader in research and development, and a big reason for that is that American automakers. According to the Level Field Institute, U.S. car companies invest $16 billion in research and development annually, outpacing any other industry one could name.

Admittedly, the Level Field Institute counts German-owned DaimlerChrysler as an American automaker, so Ford and GM's combined R&D contribution to America is closer to around $12 billion. But who's counting, right? Certainly not the American auto-bashing media.

Japanese companies do employ 3,600 American workers in R&D, but that still leaves the foreign competition behind in the dust staring at American rear bumpers – 3,600 sounds like a big number until you realize that 65,000 Americans work in R&D facilities in the state of Michigan alone. In fact, two of the top four R&D spending companies in America as reported by the Wall Street Journal are – you guessed it – Ford and GM. The other two are also American companies: Pfizer and Microsoft.

Ford has recently made headlines as the American automaker with the most challenges to its future, but these challenges certainly are not because they "aren't making cars people want to buy." Toyota did outsell Ford in July, but since then, Ford has reclaimed the No. 2 spot.

GM has the highest market share, increasing over 2 percentage points from a year ago, so it apparently can't be accused of not making cars people want to buy either. Ford sales also are up in Europe, and Ford doubled its sales in China, where GM has the highest market share of any automaker.

GM also reported a 3.9 % rise in August vehicle sales despite high gas prices and a supposedly slowing economy. And even though Toyota reported record sales that month, it couldn't match the non-record setting sales volume of Ford. GM's sales rose 17 % in October from the year-ago month and Ford sales rose 8 % the same period.

And for all the talk about the lack of fuel efficiency of American automakers, it seems 3/4 of all automakers failed to meet Europe's improved fuel-efficiency standards intended to cut carbon-dioxide emissions. Japanese and German automakers topped the list of the study's worst performers, but according to an environmental group's study, GM's Opel division and Ford both "come out well."

In closing, I'll leave some encouraging numbers for those of us who actually like to root for and support the home team. The J.D. Power 2006 Vehicle Dependability Survey reports that Mercury, Buick and Cadillac (in that order) grabbed the No. 2, 3 and 4 spots to beat Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW and everyone else (exc. Lexus) in having the least number of problems per 100 vehicles.

Perhaps someday the American media will give GM and Ford the credit they deserve. And once they do, perception among the majority of the American public will rightfully change. GM and Ford aren't only doing what they should to make gains in the American market to deserve American consumer loyalty; they're also doing what they should to make gains in the markets of China, Europe and across most of the rest of the globe.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

Re: Before you buy that next foreign auto - Read T
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:05:02 PM »

Above article courtesy of:

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette........
By Roger Simmermaker (Commentary)
Dec. 19, 2006

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:05:51 PM by EZRIDN »
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:31:50 PM »

OK, I own a Dodge SRT10, made in Mexico, A Jeep Wrangler Made in Kenosha, and a motorhome on a E350 Ford Chassis (all owned personally) as well as my SEUC and DWG3.

I am also vested in the US Auto Industry as a Jeep dealer.  The US auto industry does deserve more than it often gets in recognition for its accomplishments, however for each step it makes to catch up the competition moves forward as well.  It will take a significant change in product and marketing before the American public once again embraces the US automakers. IMHO

Here is the bio on the guest writer that wrote the above article:

Biography: Roger has been a guest on Fox & Friends, Fox News Live, Fox News’ "Your World with Neil Cavuto" (five times), CNN’s Lou Dobbs Tonight (twice), CNN Headline News, CNN Saturday Morning, and MSNBC’s "Economy Watch." He has also been quoted in the USA Today (twice), Wall Street Journal, US News & World Report, Industry Week and AAA World magazine. Local TV appearances include WHBQ (Fox) Memphis, TN, WBTV (ABC) Charlotte, NC, and WINK (CBS) Ft. Myers, FL and KSDK (NBC) St. Louis. Roger is a member of two unions - the National Writers Union (NWU) and the Machinists Union (IAM&AW), is employed by one of America’s largest defense contractors and lives in Orlando, Florida with his wife and two children.

Author of How to Buy American.

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw/bamw-050502-mother.shtml
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:33:26 PM by Rjob749 »

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 06:39:05 PM »

Rjob,
    I agree with you.  I currently drive a 2006 Chevy Impala (company car) and have had no problems with it so far (had it 1 1/2 yrs with 5K miles on it) so maybe not a good test,  but I can tell you that it's really not a bad vehicle.  It handles OK,  has enough power, fuel MPG and comfort.  Now in the same breath, I have to surrender this car in 3 months and buy a car myself (new concept for me......had company cars for years) and I'm looking at the metric offerings first.  I agree with your evaluation that Detroit needs to start building the cars that people want (and more importantly....keep doing it..) to see a return to US manufacturers by Americans, however I do business with many automotive manufacturers worldwide,  and the US car market is a dog with fleas.  GM is still reeling from the BR of Delphi,  Ford is still in the process of closing plants in the US (fact is,  they want to try to keep the unions in check.....at substantial cost per unit).  I've been doing business with companies like Delphi, Ford, Contenential Automotive, Bosch, BMW, TRW, Motorola and Diamler for years and can tell you that the quality of products (first hand witness) coming off the production lines (in electronics anyway) is far better in Europe and even Asia than the plants that are operating here in the states (one particular plant in San Antonio Tx excluded).  The point is that the unions have choked the life out of the US manufacturers (no offense anyone,  but I've seen it first hand where an operator,  living in Kokomo In or Milwaukee.......makes 6 figures/yr..with overtime and holds a high school diploma).  JMHO.......

What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 09:18:08 PM »

Wouldn't buy anything with four wheels but a Honda!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 09:52:50 PM »

Wouldn't buy anything with four wheels but a Honda!
 [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Safe choice, but your missing out on a lot of great motoring if you lock into just one brand.  If all you need is two keys and a heater to get you from point A to point B, Honda is a great choice, but from a motoring experience point of view for similar dollars, quality and realiability there are others to check out.

Bottom line though, it's good to see some old fashioned brand loyalty and to know it still exists.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 05:14:52 PM »

Safe choice, but your missing out on a lot of great motoring if you lock into just one brand.  If all you need is two keys and a heater to get you from point A to point B, Honda is a great choice, but from a motoring experience point of view for similar dollars, quality and realiability there are others to check out.

Bottom line though, it's good to see some old fashioned brand loyalty and to know it still exists.

You're right about brand loyalty being old fashioned.  I remember growing up in the sixties and just about everyone who bought cars stuck with one brand.  My father always purchased Fords.  It didn't matter how much cheaper or what features another make had, if it wasn't a Ford, he wouldn't buy it.

My brand loyalty for Honda comes from working for a Honda dealer for the past twenty three years!

:)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »

I'm proud to drive an american truck, ride an American Bike, play American guitars , through american (tube) amps , and endeavor to buy everything I can made here. I have forgone some HD parts for aftermarket , local craftsmen to keep the work here.  My company while based here , has outsourced a lot of jobs to offshore.  In good concience I will always buy product made by American workers when available.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:49:16 PM »

Good for you Nidan.    [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]   I spend my money much in the same fashion.  

I try to buy American products whenever possible....the sad thing is, some items just aren't made here anymore, although the technology & patents for many products were created here, they were also stolen from here.   I've never owned a foreign-company-owned vehicle although I have rented/ridden in many of them...enough to know that I'm not impressed and never could see what all the fuss is about and why so many people think they're the greatest.   I can only imagine that it must be because they're cheap...initially...until the repair bills start to come in.  I've heard the high-priced horror stories when that happens...it makes me just sit back and grin.  

We have a large Kawasaki plant right here and it does employ a lot of local folks...regardless, I won't have one.   Some years back, when I was going to college I became friends with a gal whose husband worked there and at that time he had a H-D Softail and "was told" to park it away from the regular bike parking area...because it was American and not a Kawasaki...WTF!  Needless to say, he told them where they could put their Rising Sun!

In the meantime, I'll still be waving the American flag and buying American as best I can...at least most of the profits (hopefully) will remain on OUR home soil.

[smiley=soapbox.gif]

Cerdo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22:42 PM »

I too try to buy american whenever I can; however, it's getting harder to do all of the time. Next best thing is to try and keep the profits here in the states. I wish the unions would wake up and work with the companies to keep jobs here. I have two brothers and one friend who work about 10 hours a week at the local Ford plant and get paid for 50. Most of the time is spent away from work or at the bars drinking during working hours. No company can survive when this kind of productivity is common place.
Andy

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »

I too try to buy american whenever I can; however, it's getting harder to do all of the time. Next best thing is to try and keep the profits here in the states. I wish the unions would wake up and work with the companies to keep jobs here. I have two brothers and one friend who work about 10 hours a week at the local Ford plant and get paid for 50. Most of the time is spent away from work or at the bars drinking during working hours. No company can survive when this kind of productivity is common place.

Its old union management politics.

Anyone see that the Union representing the VW workers just had to swallow a large cut in pay for the workers?  Well, they get paid the same for a weeks work as before but now the week is 35 hours instead of 28.  All of this came about after the scandal that exposed the union chiefs mandating they have hookers, houses and cars if VW was to get a contract.

Heads rolled.  

I read yesterday that Chrysler lost out with the unions here on the medical benefits reduction that gave Ford and GM a break.  It costs Chrysler $1600.00 a car in medical benefits accrual compared to the newly adjusted rate that would have dropped the cost to around $600.00.

The new factories for Nissan, Hyundai and Toyota do not have the massive medical/retirement packages that are crushing the former Big Three.  Time will tell, but major changes are needed to align the American manufacturers to compete on the world stage.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 09:35:03 PM by Rjob749 »

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.