Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Trailer requirements  (Read 19933 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Re: Trailer requirements
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »

Gas mileage can be an issue. I get about 20 mpg highway without my 6X10 v-nose enclosed trailer, no better than 10-12 mpg when pulling it.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »

Gas mileage can be an issue. I get about 20 mpg highway without my 6X10 v-nose enclosed trailer, no better than 10-12 mpg when pulling it.

I've borrowed my buddies 7x12 aluminum v nose a few times. I get about 10-12 mpg with my truck. Usually get about 16-17mpg. Maybe an open trailer would be better. I eventually want to get a newer truck and a toy hauler/camper...

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »

We have done open and closed. Pulled the bikes home from sturgis in pouring rain for about 14 hours in 2010 on an open trailer, never seen a bike so dirty.  Bought an enclosed 8x20 with 3 foot v nose last year, only got 3.5 miles per gallon less than with an open trailer. IMHO I would give up the mileage any day for the convenience and comfort of the enclosed trailer. We put all our gear, luggage, coolers, and tools in there as well, and no straps to tie off and worry about. We also like that at night we can park the bike in the trailer so it is out of the weather and more secure.  Get what works best for you, but since we are all putting in our 2 cents worth, I say enclosed is the way to go for me. Good luck!!
Craig

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »

We have done open and closed. Pulled the bikes home from sturgis in pouring rain for about 14 hours in 2010 on an open trailer, never seen a bike so dirty.  Bought an enclosed 8x20 with 3 foot v nose last year, only got 3.5 miles per gallon less than with an open trailer. IMHO I would give up the mileage any day for the convenience and comfort of the enclosed trailer. We put all our gear, luggage, coolers, and tools in there as well, and no straps to tie off and worry about. We also like that at night we can park the bike in the trailer so it is out of the weather and more secure.  Get what works best for you, but since we are all putting in our 2 cents worth, I say enclosed is the way to go for me. Good luck!!

I've been surfing the internet for trailers for 90 mins. I am about to pull my damn hair out. How negotiable are trailer prices? New or used?

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »

I can't get over the price differences in different parts of the country..  Yes frustrating.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »

Not in the market for a trailer...yet...but if/when I get too old to ride where I want to go there is a lot of good info here. From what I have read and if I was buying one I would go tandem, aluminum and for sure enclosed being big enough for two Phat Harleys...jmpo
The pix of the two little bikes riding out in the open like that is enough to persuade me that it is no way to treat your baby, aka your cvo...as they say "out of sight out of mind". There should be a hotline phone number you can call to report such abuse.
Buy it big for two now cause in the future who knows what family/friends will decide they want to learn to ride a motorcycle out scooter or whatever. Who knows, maybe Mrs. Jswerve might even get the itch some day. Stuff/trailers do not get any cheaper as the years go by.
Good luck in your decision and search.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »

We aren't looking for a trailer because we are too old.  We are looking because the Mrs only gets 7 days of vacation max at a time and we could go a lot further and get more quality riding in if we just load it up and ride straight through.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »

Jesse, funny how the minimum just became the maximum.  Just like a CVO.  I have an enclosed aluminum Featherlite (made in Iowa) and love it. Moves not only motorcycles, but kids into and out of apartments. 
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »

Jesse, funny how the minimum just became the maximum.  Just like a CVO.  I have an enclosed aluminum Featherlite (made in Iowa) and love it. Moves not only motorcycles, but kids into and out of apartments.
Where did you buy it?

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »

Ditto on the Aluma trailer. We have a 26' that we pull behind our motorhome. One bike, one trike and a Polaris side by side ATV. Try Avalon Trailer Sales in Rickardsville, IA. Ask for Mark or Dale tell them Hugh sent you.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 01:37:07 AM »

Ditto on the Aluma trailer. We have a 26' that we pull behind our motorhome. One bike, one trike and a Polaris side by side ATV. Try Avalon Trailer Sales in Rickardsville, IA. Ask for Mark or Dale tell them Hugh sent you.
That's awesome Thank you.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

That's awesome Thank you.

Jess,
 "If" you get an enclosed trailer, MAKE SURE that it has as extra long tongue!!! Some trailer companies charge extra for that, others don't have it, and some it's standard.!! It pulls better, easier to back up etc. Ask someone who has a short tongue and has put big dents in the trailer while backing up!!
Just more information, and if you keep digging, you will find all kinds of horror stories about cheap trailers.

tazmun 
The "TAZMUN"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »

Jess,
 "If" you get an enclosed trailer, MAKE SURE that it has as extra long tongue!!! Some trailer companies charge extra for that, others don't have it, and some it's standard.!! It pulls better, easier to back up etc. Ask someone who has a short tongue and has put big dents in the trailer while backing up!!
Just more information, and if you keep digging, you will find all kinds of horror stories about cheap trailers.

tazmun
OK taz!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 09:30:55 AM »

Just a question about mileage, you run a diesel correct?

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »

Jesse,

Everyone has good points to consider. A few things no one mentioned is your budget or how many times a year you would use it. Some of the trailers mentioned can cost  a lot more than you could ever imagine. 

Here is my Haul mark low rider 6x12. It has electric brakes and the breakaway brake system. Traded one of my Bushtec trailers for it straight up. I got the best of the deal.  Nice thing about it is if you want you can park in a garage due to the low height. You do have to remember to duck however going in or its going to hurt.

I have seen several of these go for less than 3K on eBay in the past few months.

Good luck.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.