Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tank Slapper  (Read 6537 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Tank Slapper
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »

Point for discussion.

I have a friend who has a Heritage Softail Classic. I have the CVO RoadGlide Ultra.

We both ask the same question, why do these bikes go into a tank slapper if you take both hands of the bars.

Also what is the reason for the head stock design, the stem is in front of the fork legs in the yolks (or as the current description is "triple clamps". (Bit like swingarm instead of swinging arm)). As far as I know the Harley is the only bike to do this, put the fork legs behind the stem I mean not the tank slapper.

Your comments would be appreciated.

JohnT

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Tank Slapper
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »

Hey John,

I can't tell you about the Heritage but many Roads Glides seem to need their steering head bearings adjusted, usually tightened.  Mine did back in '09.  We called it deceleration wobble.  If you check the SERG board you'll find a couple of threads on it.  Good luck!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

Point for discussion.

I have a friend who has a Heritage Softail Classic. I have the CVO RoadGlide Ultra.

We both ask the same question, why do these bikes go into a tank slapper if you take both hands of the bars.

Also what is the reason for the head stock design, the stem is in front of the fork legs in the yolks (or as the current description is "triple clamps". (Bit like swingarm instead of swinging arm)). As far as I know the Harley is the only bike to do this, put the fork legs behind the stem I mean not the tank slapper.

JohnT

Harley went to the inverted design with the forks sitting behind the steering head years and years ago on the Touring bikes... I think when the FLHT first came out with the bat wing fairing. The idea was to make it easier to turn the very heavy front end and improve handling... and it worked.

As far as RGs having the instability, I don't know. Perhaps it's because the frame mounted fairing catches the wind, and there is no stabilizing factor like a bat wing catching the wind to help prevent it. I have read a number of posts on this forum and others complaining about instability on RGs, particularly at low speeds. I've never read a post complaining of that on the bat wing bikes, nor on RKs. Kinda weird.

The Softail is a completely different bike, so I have no idea why it would have the problem, too.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »

Point for discussion.

JohnT

I had an '97 Heritage Softail and had an '01 SE Road Glide, and neither were unstable, whether holding the handlebars or not.  I'd question if you have mechanical issues with your bikes.  Perhaps tires, alignments, loose bearings in the swing arm or neck?  Personally I'd due a thorough inspection of your rides and look for something abnormal...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »

Take a close look at your bearing and nut in the stem.  They are probably loose.  I believe that HD went to the forks behind the steering stem for the police bikes so they could make a sharper u turn for traffic officers.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:31:26 PM »

My '13 RG on deceleration as mentioned earlier did that. They just tightened up the head bearing and all good.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »

I rode an 11 serg and I'll never forget what that wobble felt like. It was while decellerating.  About 35 mph.  I was so happy to bring it back. Stuart

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:28:08 AM »

That happened on my 09 Road Glide, coasting down with hands off bars at about 42 going down it would go into the tank slapper.  Like mine others on the forum had the Dealer adjust the neck bearing to the special spec for the RG that had just come out.  Problem fix.

My 12 CVO road glide never had it until after the 40K service.  Noticed it right away, pulled the bike back in and asked them to adjust the neck bearing to the Road Glide Specification not the Touring bike spec, again problem solved.

Have just over 4 K on the 15 CVO RG Ultra, have not noticed it yet at any speed.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »

Harley uses a very imprecise method for setting and checking the steering head bearing preload on previous model year Touring bikes, called the swing test.  Back in 2009 Harley made the mistake of using the same spec for the Road Glide that is used for the batwing bikes, and that lead to a lot of very loose head bearings in Road Glides.  Think about it for a moment; the batwing rotates with the forks and adds considerable mass when performing the swing test.  The RG fairing is not connected to the forks at all, and thus the RG front end has much lower mass during the swing test.  Simple inertia explains why the RG with correctly set bearing preload will have fewer swings than an EG with the same real bearing preload.  Someone at Harley finally realized that and released new specs that showed a significant reduction in swings for an RG versus an EG after a huge number of reports of front end low speed wobbles on RG's in 2009.

Harley changed the test method for the 2014 model year and no longer uses the swing test, btw.  But of course that doesn't mean they learned how to set the front ends any better in production than they did before.  If you still have instability on a 2014 and later, have the dealer recheck the steering head bearing preload.  Remind them if they start to do an old fashioned swing test that they need to use the new method.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »

Jerry what exactly is the new method?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »

Jerry what exactly is the new method?

I was wondering that, too. My service manual says to use the swing test, and I'm curious as to if the new '14 test - whatever it is - could be used on our older bikes.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »

The "new method" is similar to the old method that's been used on the Dyna's and Softails all along, called the fall away method.  They chose to name the new method for the Touring models the "swing back method".  See the following attachments.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:33:30 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »

Illustration #2

Click on them to enlarge enough to read clearly.

Jerry

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »

:huepfenlol2:    Very scientific!     :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »

:huepfenlol2:    Very scientific!     :huepfenlol2:

;D   Yeah, very cutting edge, for the 1800's.  These people are bound and determined to only be dragged into the current century when they are given no other choice, kind of like the late model EFI that was made necessary by government regulation.  Without the EPA you'd still have carburetors.

I found it interesting that they mention the Trike doesn't use either method, but rather a torque measurement.   DUH!   

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.