Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what oil pressures do you seem to run at idle, 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm ?  (Read 1226 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI

not sure if it is my observation or something did change.

running between 2200 and 3000 rpm ,I seem to remember running about 30 psi and it would drop to about 5 at idle.

Now it seems to be running at 15 psi at 2400 rpm and not really hitting 30 psi until over 3000 rpm.

idle drops so low it is hard to read less than 5.

now here is the rub, it is not consistent, sometimes it runs as I would expect and other times it drops almost in half.

I was thinking an oil sending unit but never have seen an oil pump flake out like this.

any thoughts. 

PS dealer looked at it and believes it to be OK.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: what oil pressures do you seem to run at idle, 2000 rpm and 3000 rpm ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »

not sure if it is my observation or something did change.

running between 2200 and 3000 rpm ,I seem to remember running about 30 psi and it would drop to about 5 at idle.

Now it seems to be running at 15 psi at 2400 rpm and not really hitting 30 psi until over 3000 rpm.

idle drops so low it is hard to read less than 5.

now here is the rub, it is not consistent, sometimes it runs as I would expect and other times it drops almost in half.
I was thinking an oil sending unit but never have seen an oil pump flake out like this.

any thoughts. 

PS dealer looked at it and believes it to be OK.

It could be the sending unit, as that was a known problem a few years back, but IMHO a more likely item is the bypass valve in the cam plate.  If it sticks open, oil pressure will be very low at idle and will take a lot more rpm before pressure comes up to normal.  My SEEG had inconsistent pressure that would sometimes drop significantly lower than usual, and when I replaced the cam plate and oil pump that issue resolved itself immediately.  I installed the late model plate and pump, which would be the same one that's in your 2008, and idle runs between 8 and 10 psi, 2000 rpm runs about 30-32, and 2500 cruising about 34 psi.  It will increase at higher engine speeds up to about 38 psi.  This is at normal engine temp btw. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.