Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: How to keep my 110" cool?  (Read 16759 times)

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: How to keep my 110" cool?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »

I am about to install a Jim Forced Flow Cylinder Cooler on my '14 CVO RK.  It claims it lowers oil temps up to 100 F.
I looked at the jims they were ugly in my opinion.. But to each his own
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »

I am about to install a Jim Forced Flow Cylinder Cooler on my '14 CVO RK.  It claims it lowers oil temps up to 100 F.

Actually, the claim is 100° cooler head temp, NOT oil temp.  You can get the same result with the Wards fans btw. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »

FWIW, you can likely achieve similar results by getting a dyno tune by a real professional. Having a proper AFR for an "air cooled engine" helps the engine maintain its cool a lot. Twinotter

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »

FWIW, you can likely achieve similar results by getting a dyno tune by a real professional. Having a proper AFR for an "air cooled engine" helps the engine maintain its cool a lot. Twinotter

You are absolutely correct in saying a professional dyno tune will go a long way in lowering engine temperatures.   :2vrolijk_21: 

That said, the addition of cooling fans directed at the cylinder heads are most beneficial when stopped in traffic or at low speeds in town.  Generally  my bike runs fine temperatures on the road, but quickly gains temperature when in slow moving traffic or red lights traveling thru town. And once I've gained temperature in slow moving conditions, it takes forever at highway speeds to cool back down.  Cooling fans greatly help control the temperature gains at slow moving speeds or when climbing mountains on slow twisty roads.   In my experience, cooling fans offer absolutely no cooling assistance at speeds above 35 mph or so - but are very beneficial at speeds under 35 mph. 

(In addition to cooling fans directed at the cylinder heads I also run a thermo stat controlled fan assisted Jagg 10 row oil cooler - and I run with a professionally performed dyno tune - performed by Josh at Revolution Performance - on my 120 motor.)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

Tune is critical from my experience. Sachs mention of later intake valve closing would also be helpful. Another camshaft theory would be longer exhaust valve duration. Hillside may have been alluding to that with the S&S cam theory as they have several with a longer exhaust valve duration than some of the others. We installed 2 sets of the "Love Jugs" this week for a couple of Shriners (parading in the heat) and they seem to be promising. Both bikes are getting dyno tunes also so there should be a very noticeable drop in temps. We pulled a set of SE-255 cams from one of the bikes and put in TMan Torqsters. That will help also with a little lower CCP's and more overlap than the cams that were removed. All of these things will help but the most effective bullet so to speak would be the tune from what I've seen here in the Oklahoma heat where we see 100+ temps for up to 70-80 consecutive days in the thick of summer.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

Not sure I buy into the longer exhaust duration due to the potential downsides but the exhaust opening point being earlier helps as long as it it not too crazy. In other words a different LC to get the valve open sooner.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »

I understand there are downsides... as there usually is with any mechanical change but the exhaust valve is the hottest part of the entire engine. Leaving it closed longer is going to increase the retention of the heat. Is it the magic bullet, no, just something else in the mix of events that contribute to heat or a cooler running engine. Call S&S and ask them why they do what they do on exhaust valve duration. A cooler motor can potentially make more power as long as... as you say "don't get too crazy".

Edit: the flip side would be, heat/combustion is what drives the engine. Slippery slope... maybe... but maybe not in the correct application. Food for thought.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:04:49 PM by INDEPENDENT_1 »
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »

Kuryakyn / wild things builds didn't run hot.  :nixweiss:
Just have to get it blown down by bdc.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »

You are spot on with the tune. I just take that for granted. The fans are money well spent
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

It fixed my issues. I will still get a dyno tune once I find a reputable tuner in my area. Richmond HD just opened a new Dealership and I have been hearing good things. I am happy I got and installed the fan. I liked the looks better than the Wards but as said plenty of times, to each his own. With the fan on and stuck in traffic, the temp mngmnt system doesn't even activate. If I turn the fan off, it kicks in in about 15 minutes.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »

This has to be the hottest bike (temperature) I have ever ridden.

besides a Boss Hoss trike that my legs wrapped around the headers and I thought my pants were on fire.

I put a new cam in to raise torque in lower RPM's lowered compression from 9.3 to 9.0. tuned it rich, ceramic coated exhaust (hoping more heat to out the back), coast downhill, constantly keep moving, put heat deflectors under seat and still runs pretty hot. I used to ride once in a while with shorts (yeah, I know that is a bad idea anyway) but not with this bike (I left a fair amount of skin attached to my exhaust pipe once).

I just live with it and keep moving. stuck in traffic is an unbearable situation.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:25:36 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »

BUD'S OIL COOLER! Love it. Does a great job on a blown 124

BigLew

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »

No downsides with an S&S .570 set at 10.0 cr, with a S/E 58mm t/body and a decent exhaust, tuned, in spite of who thinks what. :)
Scott

WJS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 01:47:40 PM »

It fixed my issues. I will still get a dyno tune once I find a reputable tuner in my area. Richmond HD just opened a new Dealership and I have been hearing good things. I am happy I got and installed the fan. I liked the looks better than the Wards but as said plenty of times, to each his own. With the fan on and stuck in traffic, the temp mngmnt system doesn't even activate. If I turn the fan off, it kicks in in about 15 minutes.

Have you Talked to Chad at Wide open Cycles in Fredericksburg? New tuner in your area. Supposed to be good. I am in the Petersburg area and thinking of headed that way come spring.
www.wideopencycles.net
(540)899-7793

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »

Not sure I buy into the longer exhaust duration due to the potential downsides but the exhaust opening point being earlier helps as long as it it not too crazy. In other words a different LC to get the valve open sooner.

Hope this isn't alluding to a  "over exhausting" theory from another site. That guy is like a broken record. Too many very good builds using the S&S cams, especially the .570, with several different pipes. During the last 15 years have seen that cam shine in a lot of different combinations.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.