Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: auto tuners  (Read 8249 times)

mike340

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

Re: auto tuners
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »

I have the thunder max on my 11 streetglide, works great. I had it installed in stugis in 2012, been 32,000 miles since, no issues

KY-SESG

• Junior CVO Member
    • KY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Sold
    • CVO3: 1997 FLSTS Sold; 1991 Sportster Sold
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »

The key to consumers is finding a reputable technician to do the dyno tune. I have a TTS on my SERK and tuned it myself after changing the mufflers and AC.  It took a great deal of time, and learning the tool and science behind tuning - that I mostly enjoyed. The bike ran great for several years and many miles.

I decided to change the cams and lifters but didn't have the time to perform the work and retune the bike and have any hope of putting miles on her.  Therefore, I selected a local dealer in Louisville with a dyno to do the work and tune. I interviewed the Tuner and he explained his process and all of the key tables that need to be adjusted to get a proper tune for performance and mileage mix. I felt comfortable that he knew what he was doing - plus they have a dyno!

Jumping ahead, I picked up my bike 3 weeks later and was very disappointed in the tune - excessive decel popping. I reviewed the map looking at the changed cells in all of the tables. He didn't touch the timing, placed the bike into open loop, and the only AFR cell changes were in load areas that you never touch while riding. I asked him about it and he told me the popping is a characteristic of the cams, pipes, and AC that I chose and not to take it out of open loop.  :o

From my admittedly limited tuning experience I thought that sounded like a bunch of crap and I couldn't trust them to do it right.  So I refreshed my memory on the TTS tuning method, retuned it in a few runs, including some timing chages.  I now have no decel pop and a smooth running bike that can adjust for atmospheric and elevation changes in closed loop. Having tuned it myself I don't know the hp and torque numbers.  It would be great if I could find a Tuner that is proficient with the tuner I select (that is key). However, the experience has reinforced my belief that the only dyno that matters is the one in your seat.  8)
Fullsac DX headers, Fullsac 2" cores w/ screens, TTS Master Tune, 117ci kit, 58mm TB, 259E Cams, high capacity oil pan, Topline Hylift Johnson b2313se lifters, Saddlemen Dominator solo seat, Yaffe 10" Monkeybars, Yaffe Stealth III plate mount, 10" FreedomShield, lower fairing Boom II speakers, Focal 570 bag speakers...

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

The key to consumers is finding a reputable technician to do the dyno tune. I have a TTS on my SERK and tuned it myself after changing the mufflers and AC.  It took a great deal of time, and learning the tool and science behind tuning - that I mostly enjoyed. The bike ran great for several years and many miles.

I decided to change the cams and lifters but didn't have the time to perform the work and retune the bike and have any hope of putting miles on her.  Therefore, I selected a local dealer in Louisville with a dyno to do the work and tune. I interviewed the Tuner and he explained his process and all of the key tables that need to be adjusted to get a proper tune for performance and mileage mix. I felt comfortable that he knew what he was doing - plus they have a dyno!

Jumping ahead, I picked up my bike 3 weeks later and was very disappointed in the tune - excessive decel popping. I reviewed the map looking at the changed cells in all of the tables. He didn't touch the timing, placed the bike into open loop, and the only AFR cell changes were in load areas that you never touch while riding. I asked him about it and he told me the popping is a characteristic of the cams, pipes, and AC that I chose and not to take it out of open loop.  :o

From my admittedly limited tuning experience I thought that sounded like a bunch of crap and I couldn't trust them to do it right.  So I refreshed my memory on the TTS tuning method, retuned it in a few runs, including some timing chages.  I now have no decel pop and a smooth running bike that can adjust for atmospheric and elevation changes in closed loop. Having tuned it myself I don't know the hp and torque numbers.  It would be great if I could find a Tuner that is proficient with the tuner I select (that is key). However, the experience has reinforced my belief that the only dyno that matters is the one in your seat.  8)

Which Cams and Lifters did you go with?

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »

I've said this many times in the last 10 years, "boggles the  mind that folks will spend 20+ grand on a bike, add several more in chrome, and up to 5 grand in engine upgrades, then won't put the effort and $$ into a solid tune." I realize that really good tuners are hard to find. Most dealers want to download a map that might be close, do a WO run and cut it loose to the owner. More than a couple times I've hauled my bike hundreds of miles to get a good tune. Doing the same soon , going from Tn. to Doc's in Fl. Many who use the TMax say their bike runs great, but haven't had it on a dyno to verify. Seat of the pants can be deceiving.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »

I've said this many times in the last 10 years, "boggles the  mind that folks will spend 20+ grand on a bike, add several more in chrome, and up to 5 grand in engine upgrades, then won't put the effort and $$ into a solid tune." I realize that really good tuners are hard to find. Most dealers want to download a map that might be close, do a WO run and cut it loose to the owner. More than a couple times I've hauled my bike hundreds of miles to get a good tune. Doing the same soon , going from Tn. to Doc's in Fl. Many who use the TMax say their bike runs great, but haven't had it on a dyno to verify. Seat of the pants can be deceiving.

I fully agree with you.  I have rode my bikes down to FL from TN also to have Doc tune them.  Well worth the trip to have it done right the first time.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »

I fully agree with you.  I have rode my bikes down to FL from TN also to have Doc tune them.  Well worth the trip to have it done right the first time.

Did just that with my '13 SEUC. Like riding back on a different machine. Well worth the time spent doing that, learned a lot too. Doc is a wizard in the dyno room and an all around good guy, enjoyed hanging out with him for the day.

Southern Thunder

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 05:53:18 AM »

Hello everyone, new to the forum, not to Harley's. Could someone post Doc's contact info?

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 06:50:03 AM »

Hello everyone, new to the forum, not to Harley's. Could someone post Doc's contact info?

http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/

Southern Thunder

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 07:30:43 AM »

Awesome, I appreciate the info, as I am in the planning stages of removing most of the Harley components from my 110 and replacing with non Harley parts, i.e. S&S Crank, Feuling cam chest, 584 Reaper gear-driven cams, and probably including the ECM. Have used ThunderMax before and would consider using it again, although I am open to other tuners, and may need to used one that will allow cruise control to operate with a DD

Great forum !   

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.