Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Son leaving for the Navy  (Read 4258 times)

finn

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
Re: Son leaving for the Navy
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »

thank him for serving our country and GOD bless him, from myself and family                                                                                                               served 1969 - 1975

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:37:21 PM »

You and you son have our prayers.   I can sympathize on your conflicted feeling. I sent my daughter off   to the Navy 5 years ago.  I was truly worried about where she would end up.   I am sure you are quite proud to have your son serving, but as a parent, you will always worry.    I also have a son in law that is married to my other daughter who is a career Marine.  I worry about both but all you can do is pray and encourage them to get the most out of the experience.   
My oldest daughter signed up, and waited for 9 months,  for a very tough program, and I kept telling her she had to make the grade or she could end up somewhere like the USS Cole in Yemen.    She made the cut and the program  she signed up for. It was probably the best thing that could happen for her.    She has 1 year left before she gets out but the training and education was well worth it.   If your son can take advantage of continuing education toward a degree while he is in, I strongly suggest it.   Instead of going out partying as most of the enlisted do, after about  2 years in, she buckled down and took full advantage of educations programs that did not use her GI bill.   She just graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degress in IT.    She can still use her GI bill for more advance study.   As she says they used her and she used them, and both got a great deal!    GODSPEED
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »

TXGator,

Will send prayers for your son.  However congratulations are in order.  Takes a lot to score high enough to be a Nuke.  I am a nuke drop, due to a DUI three weeks before Nuke power graduation. 

He will learn very valuable skills that will serve him very well though life, and enable him to land very good civilian jobs.

My wife and I are both retired Navy.  My Navy skills have enabled me to land extremely good jobs.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 07:36:50 AM »

Thanks Dave,  I think we are lucky in the fact that Justin got his temperament from his mother and we are confident that he will be able to avoid those types of bumps in the road.  He doesn't (so far) have any interests in the things that could cause him to slip, but we all know how quickly that can change.   I have tried to make it clear that with the high washout rate in the Nuke program, if something were to happen and he had to change his plans, it's not the end of the world.  Your success is a prime example of that.

Thanks to you and your wife for your service as well.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »

Only drawback to being a Nuke is can't be a Airdale, which as everyone knows is the BEST!!!  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:   

All kidding aside congrats to you and your son....because -- Nuke School + no trouble = Big Buck Job on outside, not to mention clean. But make sure you let him know, washing out or having a bump in the road doesn't mean failure........keep Daves post for reference, even though it won't be needed.               
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:44:27 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »

Gator - best wishes for your son, and Congratulations! He can have a great military career ahead of him if he studies hard and stays on track.

Reading all of these posts is pretty humbling. I never served (wish I had), but I have great respect for all those who have, and for all those who are serving today in our all-volunteer Armed Forces.

I have a young friend who is a Drill Sergeant at Camp Jackson. Tough young buck, skinny as a rail, who has 3 tours in the Middle East as a Combat Engineer under his belt - blowing up IEDs and stuff, and some raids and other activities. He's been shot at, but he acts as if it were nothing. Tremendous bravery! He's shipping out to Germany next year for a tour there. He took me on a tour of Camp Jackson last summer, and it was pretty inspiring to see all of the young men and women in training there.

Again, Congrats on your son's accomplishment!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »

Thanks everyone.  We take him to final swear in tomorrow.  It is really settling in and is starting to suck.  I never thought I would think about it this way... 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »

Thanks everyone.  We take him to final swear in tomorrow.  It is really settling in and is starting to suck.  I never thought I would think about it this way...

Well, in time you will be very Proud and look at it differently, my parents hated it when I left for boot camp.  After several years they bragged about me, and what I did in the service and were very proud.

Mom pinned my Anchors on when I made Chief in just 8 years 7 months, rather rare, especially with a being a drop, and the reason for the drop.

I was 38 years old first time I ever saw my dad cry, it was at my Retirement ceremony, when I handed him my folded retirement flag.  The only other time I have seen him cry was when my mom passed this year, after 54 years of marriage.

The service is a good thing.  It really teaches young men and women a lot. 

I have been accused of being discriminatory when I hire.  That is because I always look for veterans.  I know they know what it is to be on time, they do not know what a sick day is, they can be trained, they can follow instructions.  They make great people to have working for you because they are reliable and can be counted on.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 11:23:03 PM »

The service is a good thing.  It really teaches young men and women a lot. 

I have been accused of being discriminatory when I hire.  That is because I always look for veterans.  I know they know what it is to be on time, they do not know what a sick day is, they can be trained, they can follow instructions.  They make great people to have working for you because they are reliable and can be counted on.

Dave I like what you say about our veterans. You hear so many stories of the troubles that our young people who have fought for this country have when they return home trying to find their way in society. And thats a good thing meaning that the trying times these kids endure are being brought to the attention of us all. I have never served this great nation but have had three sons who served some in the USMC. So for them and all of our veterans I thank you for doing your small part to help those who keep us safe. Keep up the great work and attitude.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.