Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Frostbite Falls?  (Read 8620 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Frostbite Falls?
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:15:55 PM »

Or Wossamotta Us?
On Dec 26th, ridinruby (Chris) and myself left the San Francisco Bay Area for Granbury Texas to visit my son and his family. Iselbulls (Don) rode down with us as far a Lancester for a little day ride. Although it's a 3600 + mile round trip ride in winter we were expecting cold, rain and snow but got a bit more. The ride out was beautiful, cold but mostly uneventful freeway with some back roads. Had lots of fun with the kids and Gkids but looked forward to returning home.
Leaving Granbury it was a brisk 22 degrees and quickly cooled to the low teens. We had to reduce our speed from 80 down to 55 as the road became covered with a slushy snow and our heated gear couldn't keep up at the higher speed. Entering Abeline Texas on the business loop looking for gas and food the road quickly became covered in thick textured ice. Rideable at 10-20 mph but both feet were often out as outriggers. After sliding into an intersection sideways we pulled into a McDonalds as everything was covered in a sheet ice with a sporadic white topping

After eating and gassing up we gingerly slipped back on to hyw 20 but kept speeds down to 25 as the slush was beginning to freeze up. The next 12 miles remained the same, however the bridges were frozen solid and I had to slow down considerably over them after sliding sideways across a few. Chris, having traction control on his BMW never noticed and trudged on. One would think we would have thought twice after seeing the carnage of semi's and cars in the medians, but after 12 miles the entire freeway became a solid sheet of black ice. Stopped vehicles were sliding forwards and backwards depending on the incline. I managed to drift off the road and stay upright in the median but Chris tried stopping on the black ice and his feet and bike slipped out. It took 6-8 people to upright his bike as the ice was too slippery to gain a foot hold. A state trooper helped us up the frozen grass side median to the familiar textured frozen icy frontage road. Returning to Abeline we stopped at a truck stop for a powwow ony to discover that our phones, which were in an inside pocket of our jackets next to our heated gear, were locked out due to being too cold. After 10 minutes, we were able to get a call out and book a room at the closest motel and slowly made our way there. Most of the motels booked up that evening. Due to the motels proximity to nothing except one closed restaurant, we walked the three mile round trip to purchase our fine 7-11 cuisine after Chris mentioned the Donner Party several times. No cabs were running nor any food delivery.

By The afternoon of day two, New Years day, crews began scraping and spraying the freeway when accidents closed it down, but the shoulders and bridges remained frozen. There was an accident an hour in front of our motel through the end of day three though

Some were just left as they lay

Truck rental places were closed but even traveling by truck would have been hazardous. However the chicken restaurant opened. They grow them big here

They take their religion and music seriously in Texas

Things were still frozen on day three though. We heard portions of hwy 20 to the west were still frozen over.

By day four we decided to make a go of it and headed south to hwy 10 as it was supposed to be warmer that direction. 40 miles of slushy roads and iced over bridges brought us to temps in the low 30's and no more ice or snow. After enduring another hundred miles of muddy roads from the oil trucks it was clear sailing. Hwy 10 medians were still littered with smashed or abandoned cars, trailers, semi's, motor homes, etc.
Unfortunately and due to the ice storm, the majority of west Texas was out of gas. My full gas container came in handy on the way to las cruces New Mexico as I had to use it twice to continue on in search of open stations amidst the hundreds that were closed. Chris's BMW has a much larger tank than my five gallon. The remainder of the trip had beautifull desert sunrises and sunsets, only a toasty low of 22 degrees, but otherwise comparely uneventfull.
What made matters seemingly worse was we were both sick the entire trip home. Otherwise, a perfect, but very memorable trip. Unfortunately neither of us take many pics and the ones shown here do not do justice to the situation.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:41:04 PM by trapperdog »

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
Re: Frostbite Falls?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »

Definitely a ride to remember.
The thing is, when you get in those predicaments, you just gotta do what you gotta do to make it through.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:25:38 PM »

My hats off to you for sure!! I will never whine about riding in the rain or cold out here again!!
Alan

Timbuck2

• AK

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:52:01 AM »

Glad you made it home in one piece.   You will have to come to Alaska for some better weather.  Nearly 40 degrees and partly sunny today.   Crazy weather

Tim

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:07:02 AM »

I'm in AWE. One wild ride & I thought JCZ was crazy. Thanks for the reminder, "don't get over 50 miles from the barn in winter"!!!! You Cali guys have it made: Beach Bunnies, Lane Splitting & Huge Konahuanui.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 08:09:02 AM »

Frostbite Falls or Frostbite Balls?

Good Lord Man how did you keep those balls of steel from freezing over too!

WOW!

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:19:44 AM »

Unfortunately neither of us take many pics and the ones shown here do not do justice to the situation.

Oh, I disagree with that.....the pics you posted told quite a story.  The icicles hanging from the bike said a mouthful.  That's the kind of ride that when you get home, you sell the bike OR you rest a bit and start planning the next adventure.

Glad y'all made it home safe and now have quite a story to tell......

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:32:22 AM »

Just another memory for a couple seasoned veterans.

Why is it we only see Californians riding in these kind of conditions? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »

What Jock said...Holy cow.... :o :o
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »

Welcome Home Roger

I was so relieved when you got home, you know how i feel about gravel never mind ICE
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:35:52 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »

Just another memory for a couple seasoned veterans.

Why is it we only see Californians riding in these kind of conditions? :nixweiss:

Maybe because the people that do or have count it as just a small part of their riding experience and never give it a second thought.
I know I have, didn't like, have bad memories of riding all tensed up and avoid it if possible.
I'm just glad everyone got home safe. 

SBB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:46:37 AM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »

All I can say is HARD CORE...

Glad you got back safely..

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

I think us Californians don't understand what "weather alert" and "wintery mix" means to most of the rest of the country. To us it means it's finally raining and temps might drop into the 30's  ;D
We knew it would be very cold but didn't understand the huge pink color on the Doppler radar.

The best pic would have been all the signs that read "bridge may be icy in cold weather" which were covered in ice with numerous two foot icicles hanging from them.

Chris, myself and the girls were actually headed to Prudhoe Bay Alaska on adventure bikes several years ago but Canada decided I was a wanted felon and handed me to the US border agents. I was eventually cleared but I'm blacklisted from Canada until I get things resolved. I need to Pursue A lengthy and costly procedure to re enter Canada, but Alaska is on the bucket list

It is riding experiences that don't end in injury or tragidy such as these that are always the most memorable. But I need to start traveling with Jock, he always seems to return with only pics of beautifull scantly clad women

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »

Maybe because the people that do or have count it as just a small part of their riding experience and never give it a second thought.
I know I have, didn't like, have bad memories of riding all tensed up and avoid it if possible.
I'm just glad everyone got home safe. 

SBB

I'm with Chip, being from Ohio, I have ridden many times in snow and ice. Didn't like it when I did but it was a necessatie at the time. 

Glad you guys made it home safe.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:49:21 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »

WOW, just WOW.

Ballsy for sure!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 26 queries.