Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Is it ok to change the stock headers before the 1st 1000 mile?  (Read 7366 times)

Stgeg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide CVO

I just got the new 2015 Street Glide CVO and thinking of adding some real sound , so I want to replace my stocks headers with the new fullsac dx pipe and V&H high output mufflers and may be adding the TTS master tune and fullsac map, my question is,  is it ok to change the sock headers without putting the TTS tuner as the bike have only 160 mile on it , and I have been advised not to put  the TTS before the 1st 1000 mile.

Any issues if I didn't add the TTS and just replaced the stock header with the DX header?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Is it ok to change the stock headers before the 1st 1000 mile?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »

DO NOT change the header and mufflers with putting a tune (TTS) in the bike at the same time. The engine will be excessively lean. Whoever advised you not to put the TTS on before 1K does not know what they are talking about. There is no danger in putting the tune in and making your bike run better!

Stgeg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »

DO NOT change the header and mufflers with putting a tune (TTS) in the bike at the same time. The engine will be excessively lean. Whoever advised you not to put the TTS on before 1K does not know what they are talking about. There is no danger in putting the tune in and making your bike run better!
Thank you HD-dude, I think you mean I should not change the header and mufflers WITHOUT putting a tune TTS to avoid running excessively lean , is this what you meant ?

Stgeg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »

Thank you HD-dude, I think you mean I should not change the header and mufflers WITHOUT putting a tune TTS to avoid running excessively lean , is this what you meant ?
Sorry , I forgot to mention that I have no plans to change the air filter since the CVO bikes come with SE high air flow filter

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »

That is correct, the bike runs lean already because of EPA emissions. If you free up the exhaust that much it will be excessively lean and could do damage. I ran just the baffles for about 1000 miles but added the TTS as soon as I added the DX pipe. Now the bike sounds like a Harley and runs much cooler! You will be extremely happy with the results.
T-MAN 117 kit

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »

The bigger dealer in my area changes exhausts on bikes before selling them sometimes. But you MUST do the tune or at least a download whenever you put a better system on a bike, any bike.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »

You won't like the VH highoutputs............they kill the bottom end. I put a set on and couldn't get them off fast enough. You'd be better off to go with Fullsac CVO cores. Just a suggestion.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »

You won't like the VH highoutputs............they kill the bottom end. I put a set on and couldn't get them off fast enough. You'd be better off to go with Fullsac CVO cores. Just a suggestion.

I would agree. Too little restriction kills low-end torque. Fullsac CVO cores are the way to go with the Fullsac DX pipe.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »

Last four new bikes in our house, two of mine and two of the wife's.  We ride the 56 miles home, on goes the Fullsac DX head pipe, the fullsac cores and the TTS tuner and map.  Do not do pipes and mufflers with out a TTS and map.

High out puts will hurt low end torque, even on a 110 inch motor.  Have see it proved on a dyne.  Fullsac 2.0 or 2.25 cores will make more torque.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Stgeg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »

Thank you All for the valuable advice , I agree that High output will heart the low end torque , I heard very good feedback about the fullsac 2" and 2.25" core baffles but I like deep mellow sound so may be I will go for the CFR mufflers , I wonder if the CFR has the same issue as the V&H high output  ?

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 05:57:21 AM »

Thank you All for the valuable advice , I agree that High output will heart the low end torque , I heard very good feedback about the fullsac 2" and 2.25" core baffles but I like deep mellow sound so may be I will go for the CFR mufflers , I wonder if the CFR has the same issue as the V&H high output  ?

Yes it will, why you don't go with fullsac SD cores they sounds deep, I have tested the CFR & V&H earlier and ended up with fullsac 

Sarhan
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »

I've never heard a bad word about the Fullsac cores' performance or sound. I run the Dragos Dragula 2.  DEEP! Lot's of bass at idle, then adds a little muscle car to the mix when you get on it. I picked up tons of torque and HP just from the pipe and tune. Here's the dyno sheet.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:01 AM »

...and a pic.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »

Another option that won't hurt low end torque is the DX pipe with Kuryakyn Crusher Mellow mufflers. Deep tone, not too loud.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »

That is correct, the bike runs lean already because of EPA emissions. If you free up the exhaust that much it will be excessively lean and could do damage. I ran just the baffles for about 1000 miles but added the TTS as soon as I added the DX pipe. Now the bike sounds like a Harley and runs much cooler! You will be extremely happy with the results.

Can someone explain why operating these engines lean will cause damage.  The leaner you go from peak temp the cooler the exhaust get. :nixweiss:  I understand that the power output is reduced in lean operation.  From my pilot days...we would operate lean of peak all the time.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.