Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Advice and opinion on cam chain tensioner refurbishment.  (Read 12565 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Advice and opinion on cam chain tensioner refurbishment.
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »

Gents, could you offer opinion or advice please.

Below is a message from a friend who is in the process of striping down his HD Twin Cam to inspect and replace the cam chain tensioners. The bike has done 25k miles on normal oil. besides answering the below would you say the wear would have been significantly less on full synthetic. Also is it worth changing to synthetic now.

John, take a look at the photos of the tensioners. Not bad, but going to replace as back ones not seen, and could be worse wear.
Could you go on your forum, and see what feedback there is for `Falcon Performance` of Memphis, who market a kit to replace the contact shoes only, by punching out the old pins; and peening in new pins c/w new shoes. Their kit is comprehensive and comes with a gadjet to achieve the above and a full gasket set to boot. Easily within my capabilities, but would like some feedback,especially the quality of the shoes / wear rates, etc.
Regards,
Jim.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Advice and opinion on cam chain tensioner refurbishment.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »

That is of course a 1999-2006 Twin Cam with spring loaded cam chain tensioners.  If he got 25k miles, he should consider himself lucky as many people did not and suffered major engine failures when all the bits and pieces circulated through the engine.  And no, it didn't matter if you ran full synthetic or dino oil.

I'm not familiar with the replacement shoes from Falcon, but unless they are made of a much better/more durable material I think I'd recommend changing over to the new style (2007 and later) hydraulic tensioners.  There are kits on the market that include a new cam plate, new higher volume oil pump, and the hydraulic tensioners.  A new oil pump is often necessary after all that material has been run through the original pump; inspection of the pump internals will tell him if he needs to go that route.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »

Cyco Gaskets in Fort Gratiot, Michigan makes replacement shoes for 99'-06' that are about bullet proof.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:04:05 PM »

Cyco Gaskets in Fort Gratiot, Michigan makes replacement shoes for 99'-06' that are about bullet proof.

http://www.harleydavidsontensioner.com/

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »

Thanks for posting the link, I've been having trouble lately finding it.
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »

we use the cyro shoes alot,very easy to install. one thing that alot of people dont realize with the stock tensioners,is that they start doing damage right from the get go.when they start to wear,little pip marks appear where tiny pieces come loose and get in the pump and start damaging it & the cam plate right away.we`ve seen damage as low as 10K miles

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »

cyro install fixture

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »

".we`ve seen damage as low as 10K miles"

+1, my friend went into the cam chest for a cam change on his 2002 RK back in 2003, it had 9000 miles, shoe was just down to the metal. The late model shoes seem to be much better.
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:18 PM »

Is gear drive no longer considered?

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:18:02 PM »

That is of course a 1999-2006 Twin Cam with spring loaded cam chain tensioners.  If he got 25k miles, he should consider himself lucky as many people did not and suffered major engine failures when all the bits and pieces circulated through the engine.  And no, it didn't matter if you ran full synthetic or dino oil.

I'm not familiar with the replacement shoes from Falcon, but unless they are made of a much better/more durable material I think I'd recommend changing over to the new style (2007 and later) hydraulic tensioners.  There are kits on the market that include a new cam plate, new higher volume oil pump, and the hydraulic tensioners.  A new oil pump is often necessary after all that material has been run through the original pump; inspection of the pump internals will tell him if he needs to go that route.

Jerry
+1 on the 2007 and later type tensioners.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »

Is gear drive no longer considered?

Too much run out on late model flywheel assy's.
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 08:29:28 AM »

Too much run out on late model flywheel assy's.

with the `07 up hyd. tensioners,the gear drive really isnt needed like the 99-06 motors,in witch we still use alot of them.(we still use gear drives in late motors with larger cams as it holds cam timing better)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

Falcon is just another warehouse place pushing product. Cyco makes them. I have used the tensioner shoe kit it works .. I am not a cyco fan so my opinion of the company is jaded.

But most times the older plate and pump are not in the best shape and the kit from SE is a very nice upgrade. The issues with the tensioner where not what the shoe is made out but pure poor design. SO if you want to do it again keep the set up.

I agree with GRC.. From a shop stand point no way,.. its not about the budget its about correcting the issue at hand. And its a simple deal to correct it .
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »

From Original Poster - Me.

My pal has the Gyco tensioners on order. Will keep you posted on progress/issues.

By the way, he is very impressed with the quality of the insides of the motor. Mind you he is a Guzzi fan also, so maybe not to much of a plaudit. (Tongue firmly in cheek Jim).

Thank you all for contributing.

JohnT

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 04:35:16 PM »

[/ quote]                                                                                                                                                                          I am assuming that the 2007 and latter 110 motors have the improved version from Harley?????
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.