Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wiring issue on 07 CUSE  (Read 2927 times)

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
Wiring issue on 07 CUSE
« on: December 31, 2006, 04:46:26 PM »

Have had a weird thing on my bike since new. Bike died outside of dealership during Biketoberfest. They took it in and called me the next day after replacing the ecm 15 amp fuse. I asked why did the fuse blow and got the "must have been a weak fuse" answer. Unacceptable but hard to argue.

Worked fine for about another 500 miles until today. Pulled up at a light and a huge puff of white electrical smoke comes out from under the tank and bike dies. All electrical accessories are good but bike won't run.

So I always carry spare fuses now so I check ecm fuse (blown) and replace. No luck. As soon as I go to start bike again the fuse blows.

Just like last time. So I haul it back down to same dealership and drop it off. Tell them to call me when the really have it figured out.

Any ideas my friends?
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Wiring issue on 07 CUSE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 10:47:23 PM »

Are you sure it was electrical smoke and not a back fire through the intake? If it was electrical smoke there will be burnt wires in the harness / cable tray under the tank.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:37:10 AM »

I know I read about this exact same problem on this forum or HD Forums but I cannot remember what the problem was. I would try searching both forums.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:05:50 AM »

I cant help much but do know that fuse gets power from maxi-fuse and it supplies constant power to ecm AND supply power to the "system relay". once ignition switch is turned on now system relay supplies the same power to the fuel pump fuse and both injectors and coils!  if a new fuse is put in... the relay unplugged...and fuse blows...ecm bad or harness burned/bad. BUT if no blow  then re-install  relay and confirm fuse blow.  If it does then poss. bad coil pack,injectors(prob not) or burned/bad harness.  I am sure they will find it by following the smoke...   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:34:57 AM »

Further parusing of wiring diagram shows the front and rear acr's (auto compression releases) also recieve power from system relay..all on the same 15a ecm fuse.  I would venture to say they would be my suspected source of smoke/failure.  Hope you get positive resolution Sponserv with a more confident explanation.  
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

I cant help much but do know that fuse gets power from maxi-fuse and it supplies constant power to ecm AND supply power to the "system relay"......I am sure they will find it by following the smoke...   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

It sounds like your intermittent problem has become a permanent one. Once the issue can be duplicated in the shop the resolution should be permanent as well.

I have always wondered how all of that smoke in the wiring makes the engine run; after you let the smoke out, the engine, she no run. :)

djkak

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »

;D  hay   sometime  the rubber....   she break   huh?    [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

boy theres lots of stored smoke in that fairing  too!!!

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »

This is frustrating chit to happen.  My wife's '03 Road King used to quit while she was riding it....it did start back up....dealer replaced the Engine Control Sensor, according to the computer that is what was wrong.....since then it has been running fine.

Yours sounds like a different issue.  I here HD had problems with the 15 Amp Fuse you are talking about.

Tell 'em to get it right!!!!!!

napalm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:44:49 PM by napalm »
napalm

Rhino

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 05:54:07 PM »

This MAY be or not another idea. When turning on ignition, I was told to always wait for the start sequence  (light) to extinguish before hitting the starter.  Any particular reason this might not allow the circuits to behave normally?

Rhino

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:56:58 PM »

This MAY be or not another idea. When turning on ignition, I was told to always wait for the start sequence  (light) to extinguish before hitting the starter.  Any particular reason this might not allow the circuits to behave normally?

Rhino
That's just to make sure the fuel pump has had time to get pressure up.  Should not affect electrical circuits.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:26:41 PM »

And the winner is......drum roll please........ESJ Jester! Good job!

Got the bike back from the dealer today. It seems the front ACR (auto compression release) had shorted out. Service manager explained that the wring and fittings leading to the acr were fine and all crimps tight. However, the electronic portion of the acr is embedded in epoxy and it seems the metal part embedded in the epoxy shorted out against the tin edge of the unit. Not quite sure how something solidly emebedded in epoxy can drift over to the edge of its container to short but thats what they told me. I did not inspect the part. I was just thankful I wasn't replacing a complete wiring harness. So kids, if your ecm fuse blows and it happens when you are starting the bike or you have a large white puff of smoke emitted from directly under the tank...take a look at the ACR's. Now what kind of prize do we have for EJS Jester?
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »

And the winner is......drum roll please........ESJ Jester! Good job!

Got the bike back from the dealer today. It seems the front ACR (auto compression release) had shorted out. Service manager explained that the wring and fittings leading to the acr were fine and all crimps tight. However, the electronic portion of the acr is embedded in epoxy and it seems the metal part embedded in the epoxy shorted out against the tin edge of the unit. Not quite sure how something solidly emebedded in epoxy can drift over to the edge of its container to short but thats what they told me. I did not inspect the part. I was just thankful I wasn't replacing a complete wiring harness. So kids, if your ecm fuse blows and it happens when you are starting the bike or you have a large white puff of smoke emitted from directly under the tank...take a look at the ACR's. Now what kind of prize do we have for EJS Jester?

How about a week's Room and Board during Bike Week! ;D Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »

How bout a week as the fitting room attendent in Victoria's dressing room...   shhhhhh   keep it a secret tho [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »

How bout a week as the fitting room attendent in Victoria's dressing room...   shhhhhh   keep it a secret tho [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Hey Gene , I saw sponserv's location. That's why I joked about the Daytona trip. But you da wiring man, huh? Good to know! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 12:33:31 PM »

Thanks Hoist, I enjoy  diagonois and have many years of it behind me. it all depends on the accuracy of the problem description and available diagrams/design info.   the only way to increase the top cruise speed would be to increase its value in the  IC chip in the controller and that aint happining (i dont think) maybe hook a nitrous blaster to the horn button?  Actually when in cruise mode at 80+ I to get nervious by the time I am finished screwing with the phone or nav or some techno thing i am up someones t-pipe..as these B/O ones just cant stop!! ( that is unless the engine blows or something trivial  like that) [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.