Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Author Topic: 2014 Indian Chief beginning at $18,999  (Read 19774 times)

charger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 CUSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: 2014 Indian Chief beginning at $18,999
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »

Bummer. Are you keeping your Duracell or is that already gone?
Traded the Duracell last year for a 12 roadglide ultra and love it

nevadabob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2013, 12:59:51 AM »

;D  Finally the Ateam in Vegas called and let me know that My Springfield Blue Vintage will hit the shop tomorrow and the vin  # is 240 for the badge, Kinda cool. Test ride was at Vegasbikefest two weeks ago and the ride was great. I have alway love the look and want an "around town bike", my 2010 CVO ultra is a fantastic road bike and I have just clicked over the 40k mark all cross country runs.
The CVO is a keeper for two up touring, but when it just me the Indian will feel the bill. So this little jewel "Harleywood" will have to go up for sale  :nixweiss:
Nevadabob

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »

#240 - outstanding. That's the lowest number I've seen yet. Lowest number I've heard about has been in the 500's. When did you order? The Harleywood is beautiful. Congrats on the new ride.

nevadabob

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »

:confused5:  pretty sure it was Aug. 7th they told me today it was something to do with the color not many Blue vintages bike ordered or some story like that? And thanks the harleywood has be fun!
Nevadabob

nevadabob

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »

:-\ :-\ :-\  I need a bigger Man Shack for the close cousin Indian.
Nevadabob

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2013, 06:15:13 AM »

Sardines packed in there. Impressive.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »

Was at the Charlotte Indian dealer this week and the girl told us the have already delivered 76 new indians and are takeing orders for Jan 2014 delivery date... :o :o  three Ultras one cvo ultra have been traded in for indians ...

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

Here is an interesting and thorough comparison from Motorcycle USA:  2014 Heritage Softail vs Indian Chief Vintage.

The testers agree with comments above re power but not heat, comfort nor handling.   To each their own.    8)

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2013, 02:20:12 PM »

A little competition will be good for the consumer and hopefully prod Harley to improve in all areas.  SJ Ron :)
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2013, 03:49:11 PM »

A little competition will be good for the consumer and hopefully prod Harley to improve in all areas.  SJ Ron :)
Agreed!!!

But very Hopeful ... if you know what I mean   :nixweiss:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »

Here is an interesting and thorough comparison from Motorcycle USA:  2014 Heritage Softail vs Indian Chief Vintage.

The testers agree with comments above re power but not heat, comfort nor handling.   To each their own.    8)

Nor noise. One said in the video the valve train noise took away from the experience of the ride.

My wife and I did two test rides at Daytona. The first on the entry level Classic.  No bags, no crash bar no windshield. I wasn't planning on riding a Classic but showed up early for my ride and they needed a rider for one if the other rides so we went. I was concerned about not having a shield or backrest for my wife but it was actually an enjoyable ride. She and I both noticed the ride which contrary to the video on Greg's link, was very smooth. It also had gobs of torque and zero heat. I did notice a "rake" feeling when coming back to the parking area but nothing I wouldn't get used to as it was way less heavy feeling than my RG (of course, as it is).

Then we went on our second ride and I was first in line to get the Vintage (shield, bags and crash bar). I had previously arranged to have the detachable backrest they had on site for the Cheiftan to be mounted on the Vintage. It did fit but the diameter of the docking bars on the Vintage were smaller and it wasn't a tight enough fit so they were afraid to let us try it. They offered for us to ride a Chieftan (fairing) with the backrest but I wanted to ride the Vintage so I declined. I can also go back to the Indian dealer in Daytona now that Biketoberfest is over and ride their demo  Cheiftan, which I will do. The parts guy at the dealer back in town (the rides were at the speedway) later told me the demo bikes were all Proto types and that could have been the difference. The bikes he had in the showroom looked to be identical in diameter on the docking bars. 

The 2nd ride was almost the opposite. Right away we noticed the "ride" difference. My wife leaned up and said it didn't feel the same but she couldn't put it into words. I knew what it was and explained to her it was the engine. It was like a different bike. Both bikes had just under 3k miles but were totally different. The engine had a vibration to it especially when revving to higher RPM's on the straightaways trying to catch the group.  The heat was also noticeable right away and by the time we returned from about a 10 mile loop, my left upper, inner thigh/groin was quite hot. I assume the shield was the difference here and maybe the bags as I'm sure they change the air flow around the engine.

Maybe the Vintage had been ridden most of its 3k miles under low, lugging RPM's and the plugs were fouled. Maybe there was some other problem but there was definitely a huge difference between the two. Night and day. I let the techs know when we got back.

There was one of the demo bikes, a Vintage also, that had a stage 2 kit on it. It sounded exactly like most Harleys. Also, you could see and hear the quick throttle response it had when the guy would get on it. Also, when the clutch was pulled in and he'd give a quick whack to the throttle the response was immediate. I spoke with the guy after the ride and he said he felt some heat but nothing like his 05 Ultra.

I took a couple of pictures with my phone of some of the bikes at the dealer and demo ride and as soon as I can I will post a few here.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

A more up to date review of the Indians, with direct comparisons to the HD bikes they are trying to compete with:  http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/indian/2014-indian-motorcycle-review-chief-classic-chief-vintage-and-chieftain.html
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »

I considered an Indian bike, but what turned me away was that HD is established with service shops across the states.  I don't think there are 1 Indian shop to 10 HD shops.  I hope Indian makes it.. Competition is good to have. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 20 queries.