Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken Upper Fairing Support Brackets  (Read 9555 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Broken Upper Fairing Support Brackets
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

I thought the fairing on this bike shook a little more than my old bike...especially at idle. Didn't realize just how bad till I mounted a GPS on it.  Pulled the fairing off today and found both upper brackets broken (by the bolt that secure the bracker to the inner fairing.) Resecured with a L bracket on one side and adding a nut and bolt to the the XM bracket on the other side.  Took pics but for some reason my iPhone is having difficulties sending to my email account. Will upload pics once I get them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Previous owner had installed longer bars, so I'm fairly certain this happened when the bars were installed. Two inner fairing bolts were missing as well.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Broken Upper Fairing Support Brackets
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »

I thought the fairing on this bike shook a little more than my old bike...especially at idle. Didn't realize just how bad till I mounted a GPS on it.  Pulled the fairing off today and found both upper brackets broken (by the bolt that secure the bracker to the inner fairing.) Resecured with a L bracket on one side and adding a nut and bolt to the the XM bracket on the other side.  Took pics but for some reason my iPhone is having difficulties sending to my email account. Will upload pics once I get them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Previous owner had installed longer bars, so I'm fairly certain this happened when the bars were installed. Two inner fairing bolts were missing as well.

This was a very common problem on e'glide fairings due to the design of the brackets.  The brackets were slightly redesigned a couple years back to strengthen them at the upper attachment point (added a 90° flange).  If you ever decide to replace the brackets, the latest revision level is 58478-96B (LH) and 58479-96B (RH).  In the meantime, the L bracket repair is what most of us did in the past.  The only reason I eventually replaced mine was that one developed a major crack further down near the radio.

While you're in there, take a good look at the radio speaker braces as well.  They are also famous for breaking at the speaker screw, and they were also slightly redesigned a few years back.  Those part numbers are 58938-96C (LH) and 58939-96C (RH).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:08:29 AM »

still is a very common problem. Happens to my 09 about every 10-15.000 m (even with reenforcements welded).
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »

Not at all uncommon, and hard to believe with all the weight that they support and how tiny they are. I purchased a set, actually 5 sets, from a member of another forum. They are made of stainless steel and have held together so far :2vrolijk_21:

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »

could you supply link please?  :wall:  :pumpkin:

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »

"IF" you still have an ESP. they will fix them for you, with the "latest revision"!
I had them done this summer.
The "TAZMUN"

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »

The replacements are made better.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »

The pre-96 fairings must have been alot different internally.  Never had a problem on my 1995 and it had 108k miles when I sold it.

Attached are a couple pics of my quick fix. If you have the factory XM satellite bracket still installed, all you need to do is drill a hole and run a bolt through it.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

Aluminum L bracket

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »

Satellite antenna bracket

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »

This was going around in a previous thread on same subject a few years ago. Many stated fix was perfect

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »

One thing you need to be aware of when adding bandaid fixes (which I also did on mine btw) is that sometimes all you accomplish is to move the site of the next failure to the next weakest spot on the bracket.  Make sure you closely inspect the rest of the bracket every time you pull the outer fairing, or you may find the main part of the bracket has failed like mine did.

It's a shame that H-D hasn't really improved the brackets over all these years, or come up with a shock absorbing mounting system.  Bigger engines, more shake and vibes, more weight in the fairings, but the same ol' light brackets.  Fortunately, changing them out isn't as big a deal as it looked initially.  I guess this is just one more of the many things customers need to add to their maintenance checklists - a yearly fairing bracket inspection.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »

You don't need these $40 repair kits. Just go to the local hardware story and buy steel L brackets and fab your own. They come 4 to a package for $2. I went with the steel and they will never break again.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.