Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Leaking after 0905 campaign  (Read 5206 times)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
Leaking after 0905 campaign
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »

I hate to report that the rear cylinder is seeping at the base since I had the head campaign done about 2000 miles ago. They installed new cylinders and pistons when they did the work. I had the service manager at the dealer who did the work look at it and he was disappointed to say the least. I am going to watch it and see if it gets worse before I decide what to do next.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Leaking after 0905 campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

I hate to report that the rear cylinder is seeping at the base since I had the head campaign done about 2000 miles ago. They installed new cylinders and pistons when they did the work. I had the service manager at the dealer who did the work look at it and he was disappointed to say the least. I am going to watch it and see if it gets worse before I decide what to do next.

Sorry to hear about that so soon hg. Maybe it was the install? Good luck man! Hope it's not the beginning of Round 3! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »

That $ucks huge, harleyguynv!  Hopefully, it was just a lousy mechanic and not an indication of an "enhancement" failure.   :sauer005:

Who knows, maybe we have another book in our future!   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:59:40 PM »

That $ucks huge, harleyguynv!  Hopefully, it was just a lousy mechanic and not an indication of an "enhancement" failure.   :sauer005:

Who knows, maybe we have another book in our future!   ???

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't see how base gaskets leaking would be a sign of an enhancement failure.   :nixweiss:  Cylinder and piston replacement is not a part of the 0905 enhancement.  Obviously, the dealer found more wrong with the engine then just the heads, possibly more lining slippage then allowed and that's why they replaced the cylinders.  But, IMO, to push the base gasket failure off as a potential enhancement failure, is not an accurate assessment of the product enhancement.  Sounds to me like a dealer mess-up.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't see how base gaskets leaking would be a sign of an enhancement failure.   :nixweiss:  Cylinder and piston replacement is not a part of the 0905 enhancement.  Obviously, the dealer found more wrong with the engine then just the heads, possibly more lining slippage then allowed and that's why they replaced the cylinders.  But, IMO, to push the base gasket failure off as a potential enhancement failure, is not an accurate assessment of the product enhancement.  Sounds to me like a dealer mess-up.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think what harleyguynv is saying is he also had the cylinders and pistons replaced when they did the "enhancement" - in addition to the "enhancement"!

"I hate to report that the rear cylinder is seeping at the base since I had the head campaign done about 2000 miles ago. They installed new cylinders and pistons when they did the work."
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:40:20 PM »

Maybe I am wrong, but I think what harleyguynv is saying is he also had the cylinders and pistons replaced when they did the "enhancement" - in addition to the "enhancement"!

"I hate to report that the rear cylinder is seeping at the base since I had the head campaign done about 2000 miles ago. They installed new cylinders and pistons when they did the work."

Right, I got that...but cylinders are not a part of the enhancement package. The title of this thread is leaking after 0905 campaign.  The 0905 enhancement package is heads, gaskets, ACRs and a nut or bolt of some sort.  the dealer made the determination to replace the cylinders in addition to doing the enhancement package (good on the dealer for doing that, but bad that they probably did the install wrong).  All I was saying is that because the base gaskets are leaking, it's not a sign that there's a problem with the 0905 enhancement package, as cylinders are not a part of that enhancement program.  Now if he had said that his head gaskets were leaking after the enhancement was done, then I'd be starting to question as to whether HD got it right.  JMO.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:43:53 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »

If I remember correctly when this "PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT" was announced. There was something about cylinders and pistons. This was in a memo that the Dealers got. I did get the info from our resident PHD. I tried to call him to see if he remembered what the deal was to get Cylinders and Pistons. The fact that the cylinder was removed a new "O" ring and gasket had to be installed. The person doing the work might of pinched something, or there was a bad mating surface or the motor was reved up before heating up.

I hope for your sake NV it corrects itself.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »

My 0905 enhancement upgrade began leaking at the base gasket one day after the work.  The cylinders were not replaced this time.  The base gaskets are a part of the 0905, but are unchanged in design.  Whenever the heads are removed, because of the sandwich stud design Harley uses, the base gaskets should be replaced or the chances of a leak are greatly increased.

This is the third tear down on my '08 for base gasket leak.  The cylinders were replaced once previously.  Nothing they do seems to stop the leak.  The MoCo is pondering what to do now!  We'll see!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »

My 0905 enhancement upgrade began leaking at the base gasket one day after the work.  The cylinders were not replaced this time.  The base gaskets are a part of the 0905, but are unchanged in design.  Whenever the heads are removed, because of the sandwich stud design Harley uses, the base gaskets should be replaced or the chances of a leak are greatly increased.

This is the third tear down on my '08 for base gasket leak.  The cylinders were replaced once previously.  Nothing they do seems to stop the leak.  The MoCo is pondering what to do now!  We'll see!

Sounds like the MoCo needs to step up to the plate and replace your engine.   :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »

Actually, the base O-ring design was changed.  It used to be round in cross section, now it is square.  I don't see why they thought that would be a big deal, since the base seal was a round cross section since the Twin Cam was introduced and they didn't have a big issue with leaks all those years.

Has the dealer confirmed that the base seals are in fact causing the leak, or is this possibly another case of them assuming it's the base seal when it's actually the oil leaking down the stud holes from the top end?  If it really is the base seal, and they are in fact using the newest square version, and this is the second set of cylinders, then they really need to look at the cases.  H-D may have screwed them up when they enlarged the spigot holes for the 110 cylinders. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »

Actually, the base O-ring design was changed.  It used to be round in cross section, now it is square.  I don't see why they thought that would be a big deal, since the base seal was a round cross section since the Twin Cam was introduced and they didn't have a big issue with leaks all those years.

Has the dealer confirmed that the base seals are in fact causing the leak, or is this possibly another case of them assuming it's the base seal when it's actually the oil leaking down the stud holes from the top end?  If it really is the base seal, and they are in fact using the newest square version, and this is the second set of cylinders, then they really need to look at the cases.  H-D may have screwed them up when they enlarged the spigot holes for the 110 cylinders. :nixweiss:

Jerry

That's very true, the o-rings are new but the base gasket is the same.  The other concerns you mention are all possibilities.  Neither the dealer or the factory rep have any answer.  The head gasket shows no sign of leaking down the stud holes.  The current recommendation is to replace the engine.  Pictures were taken and the rep is trying to get the approval.  Should know something soon, fingers crossed!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

I cannot be optimistic here in any way shape or form.  HD does not have a clue.  All testing is done in the field.

I think I know where the O ring guys went to work after the space shuttle disaster, not intending to make light of that unfortunate incident.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:43:19 PM »

That's very true, the o-rings are new but the base gasket is the same.   The other concerns you mention are all possibilities.  Neither the dealer or the factory rep have any answer.  The head gasket shows no sign of leaking down the stud holes.  The current recommendation is to replace the engine.  Pictures were taken and the rep is trying to get the approval.  Should know something soon, fingers crossed!

From what I've read and from the parts manual, the O rings is/are the base gasket(s), there is no other gaskets between the cylinder and engine case.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »

From what I've read and from the parts manual, the O rings is/are the base gasket(s), there is no other gaskets between the cylinder and engine case.

Exactly right... the "enhancement" contains the new "square" o-rings.  These are installed at the base diameter of the jug and at the oil return passages.  There is no other gasket at the base of the cylinder.   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 12:38:30 AM »

Exactly right... the "enhancement" contains the new "square" o-rings.  These are installed at the base diameter of the jug and at the oil return passages.  There is no other gasket at the base of the cylinder.   :2vrolijk_21:

WOW! I didn't watch the tech, so I assumed that the Square O-rings were just another addition to the base gaskets; THANKS.  I'll be at the dealer first thing tomorrow.

I wonder why they just don't use both?  Stranger and stranger!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »

WOW! I didn't watch the tech, so I assumed that the Square O-rings were just another addition to the base gaskets; THANKS.  I'll be at the dealer first thing tomorrow.

I wonder why they just don't use both?  Stranger and stranger!

When I re-built my motor last yeat, I used the MOCO round base o rings and the Cometic base gasket.  And I used the Cometic cylinder head gaskets and the Cometic torquing procedure - which differs from the MOCO torquing procedure.  Worked great!   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 10:31:52 AM »

bad news first...

1. the rear bolt is seping oil
2. the starter keeps puking

(all this AFTER THE RECALL)

good news...

1. the economy will recover eventually  ;)

do you some of you guys go about getting the moco to replace your engines (mine has been in the dealer no less than 4 times for oil leak issues) !!!!!!!!!
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »

When I re-built my motor last yeat, I used the MOCO round base o rings and the Cometic base gasket.  And I used the Cometic cylinder head gaskets and the Cometic torquing procedure - which differs from the MOCO torquing procedure.  Worked great!   :2vrolijk_21:

My Axtell parts came with the same instructions.  Cometic base gaskets and all the base o-rings.  I think the extra o-rings are why it must run so well....  ::)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »

I have to say I watched the tech install the new parts and he did an excellent job. He was very carefull and through. The base o rings were green in color and had squared edges. The reason they replaced the pistons and cylinders is because I was getting a knocking sound (like the rods knocking in an automobile motor) between 2500-3300 rpm when the engine was at operating temperature. No knocking when cold.  The dealer had discussions with HD about this issue and they said it was caused by short pistons and the noise is considered normal, and it would not affect the longevity of the engine. I have a friend that has an 07 SERK that does not make this noise. So, when I took it in for the enhancement I asked them to warranty the cylinders and pistons. HD stand now is, they will only change the cylinders if the sleeves slip .006 period. My rear slipped .0045 and HD told the dealer they are now taking the stand that it must slip .006 or it is within spec. So, I called HD Cust. Service about this issue and made my case about the noise being excessive and my friend not having this noise. After allot of discussion they agreed to replace the pistons and cylinders with the understanding that they believe the sound will come back and I agree that it is normal. Also they said the only reason they are doing this is for customer satisfaction. I have to say I was impressed that they stepped up for me. Also the noise is gone for now and hopfully won't return. I am leary to have them tear it down again now so I am going to watch it to see if it gets worse. It is definitely leaking from the base not from a bolt.

I had the bike in 1500 miles before the enhancement came out because the heads and cylinders were both leaking. I also complained about the engine knocking sound. They replaced the gaskets, o rings and checked the cylinders, rocker boxes, and the tech said he did not see anything abnormal with the engine. They did not hone the cylinders or replace the rings. I noticed that the bike I was getting oil carry over into the air filter when I got it back. I went back to the dealer about the noise and oil carryover and talked to the service manager. He rode the bike when it was hot and did hear the noise and agreed that he did not think it was normal. He called HD about this and they told him they are aware of this noise between 2500-3000 rpm's and is caused by the short pistons. They said something like it is just an annoying sound but it is normal in the 110's and will not affect longevity.  On a side note when they do the enhancement package they are supposed to do a leakdown test per HD instructions. When they did my leakdown test it exceeded the spec so initially they did agree to replace just the rings. I broke my bike in per HD instructions and have no oil carryover at all now.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »

I have to say I watched the tech install the new parts and he did an excellent job. He was very carefull and through. The base o rings were green in color and had squared edges. The reason they replaced the pistons and cylinders is because I was getting a knocking sound (like the rods knocking in an automobile motor) between 2500-3300 rpm when the engine was at operating temperature. No knocking when cold.  The dealer had discussions with HD about this issue and they said it was caused by short pistons and the noise is considered normal, and it would not affect the longevity of the engine. I have a friend that has an 07 SERK that does not make this noise. So, when I took it in for the enhancement I asked them to warranty the cylinders and pistons. HD stand now is, they will only change the cylinders if the sleeves slip .006 period. My rear slipped .0045 and HD told the dealer they are now taking the stand that it must slip .006 or it is within spec. So, I called HD Cust. Service about this issue and made my case about the noise being excessive and my friend not having this noise. After allot of discussion they agreed to replace the pistons and cylinders with the understanding that they believe the sound will come back and I agree that it is normal. Also they said the only reason they are doing this is for customer satisfaction. I have to say I was impressed that they stepped up for me. Also the noise is gone for now and hopfully won't return. I am leary to have them tear it down again now so I am going to watch it to see if it gets worse. It is definitely leaking from the base not from a bolt.

I had the bike in 1500 miles before the enhancement came out because the heads and cylinders were both leaking. I also complained about the engine knocking sound. They replaced the gaskets, o rings and checked the cylinders, rocker boxes, and the tech said he did not see anything abnormal with the engine. They did not hone the cylinders or replace the rings. I noticed that the bike I was getting oil carry over into the air filter when I got it back. I went back to the dealer about the noise and oil carryover and talked to the service manager. He rode the bike when it was hot and did hear the noise and agreed that he did not think it was normal. He called HD about this and they told him they are aware of this noise between 2500-3000 rpm's and is caused by the short pistons. They said something like it is just an annoying sound but it is normal in the 110's and will not affect longevity.  On a side note when they do the enhancement package they are supposed to do a leakdown test per HD instructions. When they did my leakdown test it exceeded the spec so initially they did agree to replace just the rings. I broke my bike in per HD instructions and have no oil carryover at all now.

Try switching to 3 qts 20-50 and 1/2-2/3 qt of 60 wt. dino oil. Bet the seeping stops! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »

Hoist you may be right. However, I have used synthetic for years in all of my bikes and never had any leaks at all. After thinking about this I decided it is not right to have a leaking motor. After all this is the third set of gaskets this bike has had and it always leaks in the same place at the base. So, I called HD Customer Service and they want to make it right. They think it could be the cases leaking. They want the dealer to add dye to the oil to see exactly where it is leaking. It's kind of funny because you can clearly see where it is leaking already. I am going in tomorrow to add the dye. I believe they will probably have to give me a new crate motor to make this right. It is too bad cuz this motor is quiet, has no oil carryover and only has 2000 miles on it. Heck the bike only has 8800 miles on it. It is just a hassle to keep going through this so often. If I didn't love the bike so much I would just give up and get rid of it.   :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »

Hoist you may be right. However, I have used synthetic for years in all of my bikes and never had any leaks at all. After thinking about this I decided it is not right to have a leaking motor. After all this is the third set of gaskets this bike has had and it always leaks in the same place at the base. So, I called HD Customer Service and they want to make it right. They think it could be the cases leaking. They want the dealer to add dye to the oil to see exactly where it is leaking. It's kind of funny because you can clearly see where it is leaking already. I am going in tomorrow to add the dye. I believe they will probably have to give me a new crate motor to make this right. It is too bad cuz this motor is quiet, has no oil carryover and only has 2000 miles on it. Heck the bike only has 8800 miles on it. It is just a hassle to keep going through this so often. If I didn't love the bike so much I would just give up and get rid of it.   :nixweiss:

Unfortunately your frustration mimics many with these bikes. Most want to believe the Mother Ship will make everythink OK and this will all be behind them. How can you possibly make such a fantastic motorcycle and put such a lousily designed engine in it? Charge top dollar, and treat the owners like idiots! Not have a support network to properly take care of the customers! Especially when most will gladly PAY what you ask. They just want to be treated fairly and have competent people work on their pride and joy. But most only know this path, and deal with the frustration. Until they can't anymore. I've maintained that they make GREAT bikes. For me anyway. But after that, you don't need em. They don't earn your business, trust, or support. So I stopped years ago! It's like beating your head against the wall. It feels good when you stop!!! I mean after all, this chit ain't rocket science! FTF and FTD!!! ;)

Good luck with the outcome. I hope it's all positive for ya in the end! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »

My Axtell parts came with the same instructions.  Cometic base gaskets and all the base o-rings.  I think the extra o-rings are why it must run so well....  ::)

Isn't there a chance it runs so well, because it isn't a 110?

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 01:10:19 AM »

Isn't there a chance it runs so well, because it isn't a 110?

Louis, it would be easy to make a smartass crack of some kind there.  But that would be unfair.  The 110 configuration can run well. Scott's and Howie's and others have proved that.  That combination of bore and stroke with an appropriate valve train profile can run well.  The damn 110s break not because they don't have the possibility of running well but because the damned Motor Company did a crappy job of vetting the design and assembly and used too many equally crappy parts in making that assembly.  No amount "enhancement" will ever change that base fact.  And that's too bad for many many riders.

vagabond6542

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »

Louis, it would be easy to make a smartass crack of some kind there.  But that would be unfair.  The 110 configuration can run well. Scott's and Howie's and others have proved that.  That combination of bore and stroke with an appropriate valve train profile can run well.  The damn 110s break not because they don't have the possibility of running well but because the damned Motor Company did a crappy job of vetting the design and assembly and used too many equally crappy parts in making that assembly.  No amount "enhancement" will ever change that base fact.  And that's too bad for many many riders.

I think I can add my .02 cents to this. On the 110, if properly manufactured and broken in, it can function without hicups. My second engine on the 07 seuc is still running without leaks @ 6000 miles so far. Total is 13,300.

But, this is not the first time that I have heard that the 0905 program was hard to install. Grove's H-D in Winchester has great wrenches and they have had a fun time with the first install. Best I could get out of my sources were there were leaks and parts problems.

I hope that the problems get worked out before mine goes in. :nervous:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »

Really, really hate to hear of these problems with the fix.  I would be frustrated, to say the least.  Seriously hope they get this resolved at some point in time, and can only hope the 09's don't have the same issues.  :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »

Let's hope that the late '08 and '09 engines are trouble free. We see very few, if any, reports of failures there. I know it depends on mileage, but we can always hope. For the earlier engines it seems that, almost adding insult to injury, the installation of the campaign parts has been not so easy, probably not so well documented as necessary for the average dealer tech, causing repeated trouble for some owners.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 04:56:48 PM »

Let's hope that the late '08 and '09 engines are trouble free. We see very few, if any, reports of failures there. I know it depends on mileage, but we can always hope.

Ride safely,
Louis

'08 are not trouble free but it'll be later than '07, more mileage.
'08 have some modifications ( TB diameter, for example) and it's an improvement but it solve not all.
More, the recalls solve not the slippage in the cylinders.
IMHO, I think the story is not finished....

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 10:44:34 AM »

My basegaskets had a leak after new cyl's and it stoped after 3,000 miles now I'm at 10,000 no leaks.I'm waiting till winter for the enhancement and gonna do cams too. Motorman said only 1 1/2 hour labor to install cams while apart.Still trying to decide witch cam. ride safe JDO

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »

Well here is the latest...HD Customer Service wanted the dealer to put some dye in the oil to see where it is leaking, so we did it. Now they are advising me to let the dealer tear it down to see if the cases are defective. If the cases are OK they want the dealer to put it back together using sealant, which I would guess is silicone. This will be the fourth set of gaskets this bike has had counting the factory gaskets. It has always leaked in the same area of the rear cylinder. I am worried about how long the sealant will last.  They tell me if the cases are bad they will either replace the cases or send a crate motor. They will look at the cost of each and than make a decision. I have talked to the dealer about when they tear it down, if they can remove the cylinders and leave the pistons in them. (remove wrist pins) They say they can no problem. This is very frustrating because finally my motor is quiet and has no oil carryover int the air filter, besides the fact that it is so inconvenient. They made it clear to me this time if my piston noise comes back they will consider it normal and do nothing about it. I was pretty happy with how they took care of me the last time it was in but now their tune has changed. This bike has around 8900 miles on it and has leaked since around 2500 miles. This just does not seem right. Any input would be appreciated.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 11:37:19 PM »

Well here is the latest...HD Customer Service wanted the dealer to put some dye in the oil to see where it is leaking, so we did it. Now they are advising me to let the dealer tear it down to see if the cases are defective. If the cases are OK they want the dealer to put it back together using sealant, which I would guess is silicone. This will be the fourth set of gaskets this bike has had counting the factory gaskets. It has always leaked in the same area of the rear cylinder. I am worried about how long the sealant will last.  They tell me if the cases are bad they will either replace the cases or send a crate motor. They will look at the cost of each and than make a decision. I have talked to the dealer about when they tear it down, if they can remove the cylinders and leave the pistons in them. (remove wrist pins) They say they can no problem. This is very frustrating because finally my motor is quiet and has no oil carryover int the air filter, besides the fact that it is so inconvenient. They made it clear to me this time if my piston noise comes back they will consider it normal and do nothing about it. I was pretty happy with how they took care of me the last time it was in but now their tune has changed. This bike has around 8900 miles on it and has leaked since around 2500 miles. This just does not seem right. Any input would be appreciated.

You've been screwed around long enough! They owe ya a new motor! I wouldn't take anything less!!!

Hoist! 8)

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »

I had my gaskets replaced about 10,000 miles ago for the second time. The new dealer that I chose did a great job and the motor has been dry all summer. Just made an appointment for next week for the "enhancement" program. Since last fix I think I have developed a knocking sound when it gets warm also. We now have a total of 20K on the clock.
The last time they did the head gasket fix they also replaced the rear cylinder but not the rings, at least there were no rings listed on the parts list. Now I'm not a HD tech but I learned a long long time ago that when you tear down an engine you replace the oil. Not the MoCo, they charged me 100.00 for an oil change and didn't even change the primary or trans oil.  HD = hundred dollars

I'm hoping that this enhancement fix will eliminate the knocking sound, crank bolt, which I assume is the compensator bolt/nut. I get a metallic slap sound when I hit a bump which sounds like the primary chain slapping, who knows. I wish I had the adjustable chain like my 2000 model did. It was much easier to inspect the chain.

All in all we love our bike, it has far more accessories than a stock bike and overall appearance is awesome. 

P.S. Went to Maggie Valley a week after CVO Group and the Hotel still had the welcome sign up for CVO Harley. Maybe next year we'll get a chance to meet everyone there.

Tork

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »

you are never going to believe this but I too had a metallic slap, that I had originally attributed to the primary chain...it turned out to be the front motor mount was loose...I guess the mechanic loosened it when he worked on the bike and never retorqued it after the job was done...you might want to check it...it was the two small bolts that hold down the mount that were loose
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »

hey fellas i'm getting that metal clap sound too. could you tell me where the front motor mounts are at? i have 16k miles on the bike. i ride it long and hard, but as how to fix it, i am a total idiot.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »

............................I'm hoping that this enhancement fix will eliminate the knocking sound, crank bolt, which I assume is the compensator bolt/nut. I get a metallic slap sound when I hit a bump which sounds like the primary chain slapping, who knows. I wish I had the adjustable chain like my 2000 model did. It was much easier to inspect the chain.

Tork

Tork, the crankcase bolt is what gets changed, not the compensator.  The new one has a seal under the head to stop oil leaks many folks have had from the top center case bolt.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »

hey fellas i'm getting that metal clap sound too. could you tell me where the front motor mounts are at? i have 16k miles on the bike. i ride it long and hard, but as how to fix it, i am a total idiot.

The front motor mount is on the bottom front of the frame, under the oil filter. You'll see the rubber block in between the metal attachments for it. These should be checked by all before assuming motor problems. They do wear and/or break! ;)

Hoist! 8)

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »

Tork, the crankcase bolt is what gets changed, not the compensator.  The new one has a seal under the head to stop oil leaks many folks have had from the top center case bolt.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
I wondered what that was, I thought I read somewhere here that the comp bolt needed to be shaved down around .030" or a washer of some sort, not sure though.

Tork

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:20 AM »

The front motor mount is on the bottom front of the frame, under the oil filter. You'll see the rubber block in between the metal attachments for it. These should be checked by all before assuming motor problems. They do wear and/or break! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Good point Hoist, Thanks,  I think I'll have a look tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

-Tork

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »

Hoist! 8)

thanks hoist...i'll check it today!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.68 seconds with 21 queries.